Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering how long his tune has been out for the 1700? Who had it the longest? Any negatives over time? Has anyone checked there plugs or had there bike on a dyno with air/fuel readings? If so what did you learn??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wondering how long his tune has been out for the 1700? Who had it the longest? Any negatives over time? Has anyone checked there plugs or had there bike on a dyno with air/fuel readings? If so what did you learn??
I cant attest to it on my Vaquero yet but w/ my Stryker I had it for over 10k pulled the plugs 2 times and they looked perfect. I didn't have mine on the dyno, never felt the need but other Stryker owners did and they were greatly satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm more curious how it effects gas mileage more than anything. Has anyone included that in their review?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't offer to much info on the vaquero as I only have 500 mIles on her. My stryker my average went for 30-32mpg's to 36-38mpgs and I rode the stryker pretty rough most of the times. My average on the vaquero is reading 40 with flash, and vance and hines. Hope this helps some

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have over 2000 miles since the re-flash. It was done in early April of this year.

This is from my post on another forum where the person asked if anyone had any regrets. I answered his questions that he had about his concerns.

No regrets at all!

I'm so happy with this re-flash that if the State of California were to go to annual inspections and mine wouldn't pass as is I would purchase a new or used stock ECU just to pass the test and install the re-flashed one after.

Here in Northern California I ride in weather from 40° to 100° and the bike warms up all the time. It does do a little variation on the RPM's at first but settles down to the 950 RPM very quickly.

I have not had any restarting problems and the engine does warm up to run correctly in the colder weather because the thermostat will stay closed so it does. I do enjoy the cooler running bike in the hot weather. I have not had any problems in the colder weather as far as how the engine runs.

I have not noticed any carbon buildup on the pipes so I don't think it is running rich especially since I average about 2-1/2 to 3 miles per gallon better after the re-flash.

My bike is totally stock except for the re-flash and RACNRAY's throttle mod so others may have a different outcome depending on their mods

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
....... my MPG has gone down.
Could that possibly be because you are enjoying the newfound performance too much like I did? My mpg tanked right after I got my ECU back but I have no illusions as to why. :grin2::grin2:

Now that I have my right wrist under control again it has increased 3 to 4mpg from pre-flash ECU. Temps have dropped noticeably as well.

For what its worth, I Ivanized my bike with about 400 miles on it and it was bone stock. A couple of weeks later I added V&H Twin Slash Cut slip ons and a Thunder Round air kit. I checked plugs again last week and no sign of a lean condition. Plugs looked completely normal. I now have a little over 3500 miles on the re-flashed ECU and everything is still great. Still the best money I have spent on her.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Garry "gv550" (who will always be the winner of any "who's had something the longest" competition) just posted over on another forum that he's done more than 20,000km's on his flashed ECU now, and has absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad everyone is happy who has done this. I think I am going to wait a year and see if the results are still the same. I am just paranoid that way I guess.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Glad everyone is happy who has done this. I think I am going to wait a year and see if the results are still the same. I am just paranoid that way I guess.
And you call yourself a Motorcyclist? :crying2:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No just a believer in tried, tested , and true before I spend my hard earned money. So far his tunes have been tried and tested by himself. Currently its being tested by you guys. Thats how I see it. I not saying he does not do great work I am sure he does excellent work.

I was also looking at his dyno sheets for my bike I would only gain 3.7 in hp and 4.4 in torque. Since I just have v and h slip-ons. It's some of the other benefits that seem more appealing to me. Removing power limiters and reprogramming the electronic throttle, ect. Which in turn would give alot better throttle response. You guys are saying your getting better gas mileage. Which in turn tells me your using less fuel. Which in the carb world would lead me to believe your running a bit leaner Or his tune could just be that much better. I don't know but time will tell all.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought I was crazy for getting a spare OEM ECU when I did this and it has paid off now. Ivan's flash should work of 95% of the bikes but there have been a few (myself included) his flash needs re-tweaking. Ivan has been good about the one's that don't fit and has said he wants everyone to be happy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No just a believer in tried, tested , and true before I spend my hard earned money. So far his tunes have been tried and tested by himself. Currently its being tested by you guys. Thats how I see it. I not saying he does not do great work I am sure he does excellent work.

I was also looking at his dyno sheets for my bike I would only gain 3.7 in hp and 4.4 in torque. Since I just have v and h slip-ons. It's some of the other benefits that seem more appealing to me. Removing power limiters and reprogramming the electronic throttle, ect. Which in turn would give alot better throttle response. You guys are saying your getting better gas mileage. Which in turn tells me your using less fuel. Which in the carb world would lead me to believe your running a bit leaner Or his tune could just be that much better. I don't know but time will tell all.
it seems as if your trying to talk yourself into spending the money, check out some of the sport bikes forums he is well known for his tunes! if I had my busa long enough I would have had his flash on that as well. I didn't even consider his flash for HP number I did it as it fixed all the "quirks" I read about for the 1700 prior to me purchasing one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know it's been out for over a year, because I was thinking about sending mine in last winter, but it was a mild winter and I rode it a lot so never did. I plan to this year. I've been following threads concerning this for at least a year and have yet to see any negative reviews. I think one guy said he couldn't tell any difference from stock, but everyone else loves it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Eastern Iowa biker dont think so hard just do it you wont regret it and if you dont like it he will reflash back to normal, their is nothing your not going to like, mine is on a trike kit and running cooler is worth the reflash alone mpg dont worry you have to put gas in it anyway mine did increase but not worth noting again when you have a wind drag like I do you can wish for much. This is where i can tell you as having a bike first and trike next you I bet hardly get into 6th gear unless out on hwy 20 or 4 lane speeds. Now with reflas you can run in 6 th gear. we did the tri state trip again over by you and ran in 6th allot not saying when i got to big hills i had to shift but that aging in trike mode. Send it in this winter and not think about it you will be shocked at results.

Nortwest Iowa
Scott

Worlds Largest Popcorn Ball lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts