Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who makes a drivers backrest for the VN2000(stock seat)? I don't want the one that straddles the seat with a bracket going around each side of the seat but the one that fastens to the fender or frame under the passenger seat. Thanks for any info.

Steve E..........

·
Registered
52 Posts
driver backrest

I bought an inexpensive one on Ebay for about 125.00. It bolts on under the passenger pad and has a flexible support. I really like the comfort it adds without spending 350.00. Search Vulcan 2000 in motorcycles parts & accessories. The seller has good feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got new one off Flea-Bay for around $52.00 shipped. They usually go for around $82.00 shipped but no one bid on this one so I lucked out.

Steve E........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back Rest

Mine was called "Backup" and it's been perfect for me.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Time to Back It Up

I have been looking for driver back rest for a solo seat for this bike. I am dissatisfied with everything I see offered backrest for this bike. Either too expensive, too complicated or TOO UGLY!

I have been studying the stock seat and think I can fabricate my own bracket. It needs a vertical post affixed to the vertical portion of the seat pan and reinforced-bolted at right angle to the stock seat mount bracket.

With the post protruding thru the stock seat rear trim, I can affix some standard seat back pad. Size, shape, height and angle are all part of the design.

Cruiser Customizing has this item: Home » Vulcan 2000 Classic » Seats » Drivers backrests Product Information Filtered by: Vulcan 2000 Classic change Parts Unlimited Easy Glide II Backrest

This needs some kind of seat post SOCKET to accept its seat post.

Since I am considering fabrication, Any Ideas about how this might be accomplished? I do a lot of my own work and am not afraid to try ideas.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
you describe the Utopia backrest....except it is adjustable...in case you dont get everything mounted perfect for your back first time....or want to change it up or down...or let someone else ride your bike...

I have been looking for driver back rest for a solo seat for this bike. I am dissatisfied with everything I see offered backrest for this bike. Either too expensive, too complicated or TOO UGLY!

I have been studying the stock seat and think I can fabricate my own bracket. It needs a vertical post affixed to the vertical portion of the seat pan and reinforced-bolted at right angle to the stock seat mount bracket.

With the post protruding thru the stock seat rear trim, I can affix some standard seat back pad. Size, shape, height and angle are all part of the design.

Cruiser Customizing has this item: Home » Vulcan 2000 Classic » Seats » Drivers backrests Product Information Filtered by: Vulcan 2000 Classic change Parts Unlimited Easy Glide II Backrest

This needs some kind of seat post SOCKET to accept its seat post.

Since I am considering fabrication, Any Ideas about how this might be accomplished? I do a lot of my own work and am not afraid to try ideas.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
No Walmart Shopping Carts, please and thankyou.

you describe the Utopia backrest....except it is adjustable...in case you dont get everything mounted perfect for your back first time....or want to change it up or down...or let someone else ride your bike...
I did ask for suggestions, so...thanks.? I can only hope that my description is for something NOT like the Utopia. My mods are mostly what can you take OFF the bike. Not put a Walmart shopping cart tubing on it. Sorry for the rant, just thought I was more precise in my description.

I am looking to fabricate a seat post (hidden) under and attached to the stock seat. The only item visible would be the backrest post and pad.
Mustang makes the whole package; seat, post, pad, passenger seat for $749.
I am looking for just a trim solo driver seat w/backrest and not something in the lazyboy range.

I dont ride two up and I dont loan my bike out. One seat and pad is 'nuff.
Still, thanks for trying. There are other backrest listed on this thread and I have checked them all out. What I am looking for is available for other bikes, just not this beast. I guess I will just have to make one.?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
so you may not like utopia for the cost... but they do make a very solid and simple backrest for the 2000....the frame is hidden and mounted to the pillion invisibly .

the only visible item is the the post and the pad.... just like you describe.

it isnt a barcalounger....... so what the heck are you talking about with walmart tubing??

so check it out before you trash it..... http://www.utpr.com/

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
so you may not like utopia for the cost... but they do make a very solid and simple backrest for the 2000....the frame is hidden and mounted to the pillion invisibly . the only visible item is the the post and the pad.... just like you describe. it isnt a barcalounger....... so what the heck are you talking about with walmart tubing?? so check it out before you trash it..... http://www.utpr.com/
TallAnnie, please accept my apology for my rough response to your reply and trashing Utopia.
I did attempt to see thier website only it would not load/open, so I went to one of thier vendors sites and they showed an exposed chrome Tubing style Frame backrest for the Nomad series bikes. Once I saw that I was no longer interested in following up with Utopia. When I see these kind of accessories I think people regard their mc's as appliances. My bikes are not just transportation and I use them to wrench on and express my art work. I jumped too soon. So first off, I owe you my apology.

Doing further digging I was able to open the testimonial page and got a glimpse of some other style backrest. Yes this is closer to what I am looking to accomplish... I hate to gripe, the pad is enormous! but heck its just a pad. most likely can be replaced. I will continue to pursue this and will post my solution when I find-finish it. Thanks again for your help. out, Poncho

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
apology accepted

TallAnnie, please accept my apology for my rough response to your reply and trashing Utopia.
I did attempt to see thier website only it would not load/open, so I went to one of thier vendors sites and they showed an exposed chrome Tubing style Frame backrest for the Nomad series bikes. Once I saw that I was no longer interested in following up with Utopia. When I see these kind of accessories I think people regard their mc's as appliances. My bikes are not just transportation and I use them to wrench on and express my art work. I jumped too soon. So first off, I owe you my apology.

Doing further digging I was able to open the testimonial page and got a glimpse of some other style backrest. Yes this is closer to what I am looking to accomplish... I hate to gripe, the pad is enormous! but heck its just a pad. most likely can be replaced. I will continue to pursue this and will post my solution when I find-finish it. Thanks again for your help. out, Poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
watch and learn, little grasshoppers

well it looks like the grasshopper won the debate. It was the closest thing to what I was looking to fabricate. and for a measley C note was worth trying.
Since I ride with just the front seat solo.. I like my bear fender (no, not a typo, a bear is involved here) requires a post and bracket that is either hidden or in this case least exposed. In stock form this back rest is tooo far forward, every ergonomic aspect is unacceptable. What to do, what to do?
Study the problem, propose a solution, measure, measure again, measure it the other way to be sure, then cut 1" off the bracket and let it sit back that much. Oooh, Aaah, muey mo' better! :)
you too can custom fit your skoot to fit your boot.;)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
while you are modifying the bracket...consider a gusset to keep the backrest where you like it. the soft metal bends away quite freely.

well it looks like the grasshopper won the debate. It was the closest thing to what I was looking to fabricate. and for a measley C note was worth trying.
Since I ride with just the front seat solo.. I like my bear fender (no, not a typo, a bear is involved here) requires a post and bracket that is either hidden or in this case least exposed. In stock form this back rest is tooo far forward, every ergonomic aspect is unacceptable. What to do, what to do?
Study the problem, propose a solution, measure, measure again, measure it the other way to be sure, then cut 1" off the bracket and let it sit back that much. Oooh, Aaah, muey mo' better! :)
you too can custom fit your skoot to fit your boot.;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
One more recommendation for the Grasshopper Drivers Backrest. Great backrest and great service. I had it in a couple of days after ordering. Griffy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts