Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if the exhaust mod where you remove the baffle and drill holes is worth it.

Do you like the volume of the exhaust?
Do you like the sound better? Deeper? More Harley like?
Any performance change noticed?

·
Registered
391 Posts
just do the full debaffle to me it sounds much better. I liked it better then the cobra's I had on mine. The only reason to change the pipes in my opinion would be for looks and looks only.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the full Debaffle?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yessir! Completely worth it - and Ive only done stage 1

Do you like the volume of the exhaust? - YES - not obscenely loud
Do you like the sound better? Deeper? - YES - not 'slappy' More Harley like? TBH I dont know.
Any performance change noticed? - Nope

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So when you mean full Debaffle you mean drilling all the holes right?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Drilling hole looks bad and sound like a helicopter in my opinion. You can try it but it was not for me.

Remove black cap on the end plate the 2 rivets.
Get something to cut that piece that sticks out its like a 1 inch pipe or so.
cut it close enough to get a hole to cut the plate people are drilling. Maybe an 1 1/4 or an 1 1/2 don't remember what size I used.
Then hole saw again with an hole saw that just fits in the pipe might be 2 7/8 or a 3 inch again don't remember.
that will cut that plate out which will give you room to wiggle the hell out of the baffle in the pipe.
Stick a broom handle in there and wiggle it all over up down left right until the weld pops off Then you can pull the whole baffle out. Might take a bit but it will come out.
take some high temp black paint and spray the inside of the exhaust pipe for that finished look

Remember protect the outside of your pipe with tape rags whatever you feel comfortable with. Also remember I removed mine on a 2012 so I do not know if the newer models are different.

video of the first part the next step would be hole saw around and remove the guts.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+debaffle+a+900&&view=detail&mid=FA4810F036E50D532ECFFA4810F036E50D532ECF&FORM=VRDGAR

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would seem removing the whole baffle might be too loud.

Do you have a video of what yours looks and sounds like?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Look at the 3 videos I post above they show what it looks like the there is even sound comparisons.
When it says stage 1 that's your 8 holes. when it says fully debaffled that's what I am talking about.
There are plenty more videos on you tube those are just some quick ones I found.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually found one. Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Took off end caps & cut holes in the internal baffle as per a long forgotten online guide. Paired with an ecu & intake = heaps more power & a lot better cruising / touring.

Much better sound over stock as well.

Pic from a cold Tasmania tour not long after purchasing the bike. Breathing mods were done just prior to the trip.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi Synthian, I’m in Oz also and am interest in what you did for an ECU upgrade. Tried the ‘Ivan’s’ option, but can’t be done on Aussie bikes. I have a V&H exhaust and have held off on a new intake because of the unavailability of unreliable ‘piggyback’ tuners. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Synthian, I’m in Oz also and am interest in what you did for an ECU upgrade. Tried the ‘Ivan’s’ option, but can’t be done on Aussie bikes. I have a V&H exhaust and have held off on a new intake because of the unavailability of unreliable ‘piggyback’ tuners. Thanks in advance.
I ended up buying & installing a Cobra Powrpro black.

It seems to work by automatically tuning itself to the bikes current capabilities & mods, starting fresh from each time the bike is turned on. Works really well! Crisp throttle response, excellent fuel economy & really great power over stock. Seat of the pants dyno it went from ~45hp to ~65hp. Pretty big gains & simple install.

Power commanders etc might get a tiny % more absolute power but need dyno time & programming etc. I got a PC with my Honda VTX1800C & it's great, but I still purchased a Cobra Powrpro black for that too! I've been really impressed with the Cobra unit overall.

We have made further mods to the 900 now & the little Powrpro is still working great & changing the tune with what we add. Recommended as a install & forget kind of ecu.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cheers for the quick reply, will look into them. You mentioned good fuel economy as well, what are you getting??
No worries. On the Tasmania trip I remember getting ~350km to a tank & that was 2 up highway km with the big tour bag on the back (pic above).

It's harder to gauge recently because the 1800 is so thirsty in comparison & we fill up more often together on rides (wife rides the 900 now). The 900 is pretty efficient.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts