Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding as much as possible, rode with it down to 26°, now i got gear to do so but i dont have a windshield so it can be a little rough anylonger than 45 mins on the road. but with a 35mile comute other option is 19mpg i'll freeze a little. guys a work who all ride hardleys think i am nuts only bikes sitting outside is a kawi and a bmw.
have noticed when it sits out in the cold she does not want to start as easily, i have to give it gas and try a couple times. I did not put a lighter weight oil in it, 20w50 is some thick stuff at 30°. do you think that would help to switch it out to 10w40 still got about 1500 miles to go.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Been riding as much as possible, rode with it down to 26°, I did not put a lighter weight oil in it, 20w50 is some thick stuff at 30°. do you think that would help to switch it out to 10w40 still got about 1500 miles to go.
rt, do it. now. that hevy stuff is summer oil for triple digits. v2k is w/c motor and worx best with 10/40. 20/50 is for hot a/c hardleys etc.
save yor spillings and put them in another motor or time. get that tar outa ther now.

as for winter riding is not a problem here closer to the equator sun. most our riding is above 50f. usually 60-70f sunshine daze. some mornings can be chilly 40f yikes! its a coin toss tween the truk or rotating bikes. if its gonna be wet, ther is no coin toss. poncho

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
My 9 has her own spot in the garage next to the boat and the truck. It's suppose to be 65 degrees and full sun this weekend. Guess I'm gonna have to ride.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I ride in the winter but I live in AZ so nothing needs changes on my beast

I keep thinking bout relocating to the south for that reason! I would need snow chains and training wheels on the beast to get to the corner for all the damn ICE here!

I find myself hating winter more and more each and every year!!:mad:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I ride whenever I can . . . 35 this morning when I pulled out . . .23 on Saturday . . . but then I have a nice big fairing, windshield and heated gear if needed (didn't have it plugged in this morning - almost wished I did)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I've gotten some miles here and there. When there's not snow on the ground.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I keep thinking bout relocating to the south for that reason! I would need snow chains and training wheels on the beast to get to the corner for all the damn ICE here!
I find myself hating winter more and more each and every year!!:mad:
Watts ther to lov? 28yrs that bulchitt , snot even white krap. best thing ever did was gitt outa artic circle. Sunshine ever day is good 4 u an yor toys. mor playtime, less stress.

·
Banned
179 Posts
I ride as long as the road surface is not covered with packed ice or snow. As long as the road is clean and dry just bundle up with a lot of long johns and let it rip. Used to ride even on packed snow when I was about 16 years old because I loved to ride the bike whenever I got the chance.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just done ridin thruogh our winter down under and clocked up some Good miles. Not so much the cold, the odd 1 degree c mornings. It jus the dam rain that does my head in on our sorry R'sed roads. Makes for slippery riding and plenty of butt puckering moments! The road grime build up on the bike is another aspect i hate with constant cleaning and polishing.

Mind you, wouldn't trade for anything else, love being on the sled.

Just clocked up 900miles last weekend in glorious early summer days..............beauuuutiful ;)

Roll on summer, sticky tarmac and smiles per miles, happy days brothers.

Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sunshine ever day is good 4 u an yor toys. mor playtime, less stress.

Definitely Ponch0!

Although, winter does give me time to get a few inside home improvement projects completed. But a month of that sheeeeeiiit (literally) is enough!

Your exhaust on the Baron turned out great! Could use your plumber skills getn a throne relocation mod done! :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I ride most days here in middle TN. The only time I do not ride is if the temp is below 30 or freezing stuff is in the forecast. I work 12-14 hour days so the ride is my incentive for going to work! My little 500 gets the job done. Morning rides are not bad, it is the evening ride coming home that seems to freeze the hands......

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ride most days here in middle TN. The only time I do not ride is if the temp is below 30 or freezing stuff is in the forecast. I work 12-14 hour days so the ride is my incentive for going to work! My little 500 gets the job done. Morning rides are not bad, it is the evening ride coming home that seems to freeze the hands......
I understand i wear a pair of regular riding gloves under and pair of SNOMO gloves keeps me warm but i sacrafice feeling and i have trouble at times letting the clutch out easily. Been eyeballign some new ones online but waiting till after xmas to see if my wife is gonna get them for me.

My father-in-law got me eruo gears and gaskets for the beast so i might be tearing her down soon if i am gonna change my oil to thin stuff.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My father-in-law got me eruo gears and gaskets for the beast so i might be tearing her down soon if i am gonna change my oil to thin stuff.

Now THAT is one hell of a stocking stuffer!!!!! I need to educate my kids about EURO GEARS! :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Update to my last post. 30 degrees this morning and I was not looking forward to my fingers getting cold. While getting dressed for work my bike mitts fell on the floor in my closet. So I decided to put them back on the bike for this morning. Fired up the bike and turned on the grip heaters.

The ride into work was great! My hands felt like they were in an oven. I wanted to turn the grips down to 3 from 5 but could not get to the control because of the bike mitts so I had to put up with hot hands. Nice change for a cold morning. Last year the mitts still let my hands go numb but the addition of the heated grips changed that. The true test is tonight when I get off after 2000 and ride back in the dark with no solar heating to aid me.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
We get too much snow so I don't get out much.
My Yamaha is the winter rider though.The V2K is up for the winter.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tug+hill+plateau&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=813&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Vb6VVMPcM8GpNrqPg-gH&ved=0CDAQsAQ JJ
Shiver me Timbers! that is jus plain skeary Sno blanket o death! the Big Chill, white death. It may be fun to play in that stuff, but everyday trying to work in it for months on end is stressful. It's no wonder y'all hole up with plenty liquor n ammo for the winter.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes,a shorter riding season but no traffic,nice roads,2 mountain ranges,many lakes,rivers & streams and I'll mention again,NO TRAFFIC !
Clean air. No big cities.

JJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have had a couple of really nice 60's days mixed in, so out came the Voyager. I don't mind riding down to the 40's, but not much past that. My diabetes has affected my circulation, so the feet and hands get too cold no matter the weight of the gear. Just can't justify the $ of the heated gear for a 3-4 month period. I can stand it except for the bitter cold in January and February.
I agree with COoterV2K, I hate winter more every year. Started losing my tolerance for the cold when I broke 50!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts