Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is an article that caught my attention. WHL-80 Helmet Safety Light
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/07/15/helmet-mounted-brake-light-makes-motorcycle-riders-more-visible/?intcmp=features

$100 is what the article says going price.. hmm,, I wonder if you have this set up, you can eliminate/minimize the blinky units on your sled?

butt, still if it wakes up some self absorbed texting teenager/soccer mom while approaching an intersection, it mite save your bacon.?
or at least they may have easier time locating the body after the impact..
wonder if a locatinon transponder mite be the next new thing? poncho

·
Registered
397 Posts
to the best of my understanding, Texas only requires a brake light mounted on the rear of the bike and a headlight on the front. You are legal to use hand signals for the rest. I don't know that I'd feel particularly SAFE using only hand signals for lane changes, etc but.... It's also widely publicized that the most visible and noticed spot on a cycle is the highest spot.. the helmet. White and bright colored helmets are widely touted as the single most important conspicuity device. SO.. yeah, this should help with some of that visibility. However, as for a turn signal... I have to wonder just exactly how confusing it would be for someone behind you when you start turning your head to look other directions!

·
Registered
894 Posts
My son wears a G-Max helmet with a built in LED when he rides with me - The basic unit has a rear facing LED that can be on steady, or flashing. You can also get an adapter to make it activate with the brake light. We turn it on at night and make it flash in rain/fog etc. Good all around helmet.

A few years ago I purchased something similar to this that was a stick on mount with remote to hook into the brake light. It was a nice device, but to change the batteries, you had to pull it off and then you lost a lot of the adhesive . . .

Here's a link to the G Max:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gmax-GM54S-Modular-Helmet-Flat-Black-LED-Light-Drop-Down-Sun-Visor-/360439635194?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item53ebe05cfa&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wear the same modular helmet for anything other than in town cruising, when I wear my half lid.. Great helmet! I also put the light on Flash when riding at night or in other low visibility situations. I do not have the brake light addition, however... I'm pretty well lit for that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts