Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I rode my beast on a hotter day than usual (hadda go to California to find sun...:))..... and next time i hopped on, I notice this stuff like bird droppings on my chrome...and also up on the rear cylinder fins....

anybody see this before and know what it is ?

I mentioned it to my local dealer and he says "leftover cosmoline" dripping out on a hot day.... but i dunno if I trust him... ;-). maybe it is coolant ?

and on the fins....

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Dunno for sure, but it's not like any "cosmoline" that I've ever seen. The stuff I'm familar with is brown and sticky...sorta like a heavy grease.

Maybe it's coolant but I don't recall that drying into a white-ish powder either.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
area 51 must be extending its range a wee bit?

I notice this stuff like bird droppings on my chrome...and also up on the rear cylinder fins....anybody see this before and know what it is ?
ta, ca run? I am suspecting you where at the coast? why else do a ca run, eh? This stuff is located at several inadvertant places, not likely any where near coolant passages, fittings, etc.?
ok, so my expert opinion here is that a low flying bombadier let loose a couple of 500lb'rs and they expertly tagged your scoot while you were distracted by all the scenery, breeze, bistro, etc. It if looks like birdshirt and it smells like birdshirt... how 'bout the taste test?:( its my guess its.... birdshit!. only cause ben ther dun that.;) out, ponch

btw, love your rug. seems fitting acoutrament for yor new baby. does the pooch resent giving up his favorite nap rug?

C

·
0 Posts
My vote goes for any of the above. My suggestion is to clean it up and see if it returns. Please keep us advised. :D

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
ta, ca run? I am suspecting you where at the coast? why else do a ca run, eh? This stuff is located at several inadvertant places, not likely any where near coolant passages, fittings, etc.?
ok, so my expert opinion here is that a low flying bombadier let loose a couple of 500lb'rs and they expertly tagged your scoot while you were distracted by all the scenery, breeze, bistro, etc. It if looks like birdshirt and it smells like birdshirt... how 'bout the taste test?:( its my guess its.... birdshit!. only cause ben ther dun that.;) out, ponch

btw, love your rug. seems fitting acoutrament for yor new baby. does the pooch resent giving up his favorite nap rug?
Yeah...good one, a bird bomb...that's probably it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It looks kinda like the radiator leak I had on the cylinder fins. When our town had a dealership, I had it fixed. The said something about "rings" needed replaced. Whatever it was, it worked. Been about 2 years since.

Herb

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... I, um, tasted it and it is definitely coolant...lol....
and in bright daylight it does have a shade of green going on.
Back to dealer for better clamps it goes..!

thanks all..!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
lol...missed this. No pooches but one very dirty garage floor convinced
me to get a big cheapo rug to park on. For the occasional lay down on
the deck to check something it is real nice!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its antifreeze. U have a small leak at a fitting. I had the same thing last week. My Rogue is under warranty, so the dealership took care of it (thanks Struthers DSM IA).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chatted with dealer about it in person today.... they have seen it before but so far, they suggest they will only do what Kawasaki authorizes... meaning they wont change the clamp to a better clamp under warranty.

The salesguy who sold me this bike was there and I informed him of this undesired exchange with the service mgr.....the salesguy tells me they want me to be happy and he will 'take care of it'...LOL....so on thursday we will see what they actually do for me... I will post back

·
Registered
59 Posts
My bike is still under warranty, but my leak was a wear & tire issue with my deceased dealership. I think it cost my about $141 for the "rings" replaced.

Herb

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
took bike to dealer today....they fixed it.

he says they are stainless hose clamps just like he would use anywhere on any bike....and that he found one had apparently not been tightened at the factory and was the source of the leak. they tightened all around and put a threadlocker on the screws to keep them from vibrating loose...which is what he said they see typically on older bikes that generate this type of leak.

annie

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
a little discrimination can go a long way

took bike to dealer today....they fixed it. what he said they see typically on older bikes that generate this type of leak. annie
ann'rs, so it was definately sweet, and not fowl?:(
if it wasn't in warranty you would have fixed it yourself. good call;), out ponchdeleon

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked it up from dealer service today for the small coolant leaks that decorates the fins with bird poop....
the service mechanic came out and found me to reassure me it was well fixed since I had let everyone up to their GM know I was concerned.....he said it was an absolute bear to get this particular clamp up under there under and behind stuff.
I told him "thanks!... and I never want to see you again!".... :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts