Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of driving vehicles, a couple years back while driving through busy Atlanta freeways I experienced visibility conditions approaching "0" late one afternoon. The freeway was hot and an unexpected heavy rain shower suddenly hit. The resulting road steam, road spray from other vehicles, and the sun's rays turned the world nearly a solid white. The only choice was to closely tail the vehicle ahead which I could just barely make out, and hope for the best.

And that was in a newer vehicle with excellent windshield wipers!

The other day, late one afternoon, the same thing happened near Alexandria, Louisiana. Only this time I was on my motorcycle. Six lanes of heavy traffic and I'm on the inside lane of all places. Same scenario, "0" visibility, and the windshield is blocking any wind that is necessary to scatter the accumulation on my face-shield. Traffic is doing between 60 - 70 mph and there's simply no choice but to closely tail the vehicle ahead because those tail lights are the only thing visible, and just barely at that. Thank the man above that those tail lights were lit. And don't tell me you can raise your visor and depend on your eyes. The rain hitting your eyeballs will quickly have you shutting your eyelids. It just can't be done at those speeds. Moving my head to the side to catch some wind on my face-shield helped a little and thankfully, the view behind in the rear-view mirrors was better. At the first opportunity I worked my bike over to the outside lane, no small feat in itself, and stopped under the nearest overpass.

That's probably the most vulnerable I've ever felt on a motorcycle and it was one scary experience. One I hope to never repeat.

How to avoid? Well, I'm not quite sure. First of all, a windshield blocks any wind necessary to scatter the raindrops on a face-shield. That's almost acceptable if visibility is fairly good, but add in "white-out" conditions and the recipe is not good.

I've heard on this forum that Rain-X should not be used on plastic materials, but there has to be something that will help if caught in extreme conditions. So if any of you veteran riders have any advice it sure would be welcome.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I have put rain-x on my windshield and haven't seen any problems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The one security guard at my office building swears by Rain-X. I've never had a use for it myself. My Nolan N-104 that I've been wearing this year hasn't had any problems with rain accumulation. Even riding slowly through heavy rainfall. I have a Memphis Shades Batwing with a 12" shield, so by no means a small windscreen.

I've personally never had an issue seeing through raindrops that collect on my visors in a full race helmet. The real problem hits me when said visor fogs up. However, that's where the PIN Lock feature available on the Nolan (and many other) really shines through.

due to the "dual pain" feature, I never get any fogging due to temperature differences or moisture.

This is of course just my own personal experience. YMMV.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try the rain-x on both the windshield and face-shield first before buying a good full-face with the PIN lock feature. The double pane feature is an excellent way to reduce fogging, but so far my 3/4 helmet, drop down shield hasn't had any fogging issues.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I'll try the rain-x on both the windshield and face-shield first before buying a good full-face with the PIN lock feature. The double pane feature is an excellent way to reduce fogging, but so far my 3/4 helmet, drop down shield hasn't had any fogging issues.
I thought I recalled that Rain-X was not to be used on plastis and especially motorcycle windshields so I did a quick google search and found the following:

Is Rain‑X® Original Glass Treatment safe to use on plastics, motorcycle windshields, and ATVs?
No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

Source link: http://www.rainx.com/faq/rainx-original-glass-treatment-safe-use-plastics-motorcycle-windshields-atvs/

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I thought I recalled that Rain-X was not to be used on plastis and especially motorcycle windshields so I did a quick google search and found the following:

Is Rain‑X® Original Glass Treatment safe to use on plastics, motorcycle windshields, and ATVs?
No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

Source link: http://www.rainx.com/faq/rainx-original-glass-treatment-safe-use-plastics-motorcycle-windshields-atvs/
TRUE! I learn the the hard way! Don't use it on plastics...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some are reporting good results with Rain-X while others are not. I suspect it attacks certain types of plastic shields and not others. I'd just as soon not take a chance with that stuff.

I have never tried this but if anyone has now would be the time to chime in.
http://www.motosolutions.com/raincoat.html

I found a review on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JL88e5OX4
Peegh, thanks for the link. "Rain Coat" is probably the cadillac of rain repellants if based on price alone. I found a local supplier and will give it a try. I also found a product called "Rain Zip", somewhat less expensive, that is sold by National Cycle, Inc. for use on their polycarbonate windshields. Not sure how affective it would be on acrylic shields, but it's worth a try also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used a product called 'glass wax' when I had the jeep, on the plastic windows. It worked great. Prompted by a pilot friend, I tried Pledge. It's all he uses on his small aircraft. It works surprising well. And you smell lemon fresh as you tool down the road!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used a product called 'glass wax' when I had the jeep, on the plastic windows. It worked great. Prompted by a pilot friend, I tried Pledge. It's all he uses on his small aircraft. It works surprising well. And you smell lemon fresh as you tool down the road!
Yep! Every airplane I've flown in the last 8 years, we've used pledge on the canopy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also have Nolan N104 helmet with the pin lock, love the pin lock system. The Nolan however is a different story. I have had to return it 4 times so far for repairs as the latching mechanism keeps breaking on it. The last time I sent it in they refused to replace it and just repaired it again. It has spent more time this year in the mail system than on my head. I am so mad about the Nolan I have not even unpacked it for use from the last time it came back. Just using my cheap old Vega helmet as it does not break.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts