Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, yesterday i pulled out carbs and head cover to adjust valves. Carbs were perfect, but valves, they were f*cked. exhaust .004, intake .004. In the meantime i noticed some white spots on cyl #1 valves, cleaned them wit rag. And oil copper line in cyl #1 had white gunk in it. Coolant mixed with oil i guess. o rings on coolant tubes were flat, that is replaced, now i'll replace o rings on oil copper lines. Someone can help me with this? Is coolant leaking somewhere else? Also down the hole where coolant tubes go, it looks like theres dirt. Something black...
Aaand, coolant filter on side where is cyl #1 that attaches to coolant tube (my Vulcan 500 is carburetor heated) it had black paint and aluminum particles in it, like sand (not much luckily). Don't know from where this came from. Should I put everything back and find some cooling system cleaner, or take more parts off from the engine. I don't have torque wrench for putting parts back.

(i'll attach pics if needed)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi, yesterday i pulled out carbs and head cover to adjust valves. Carbs were perfect, but valves, they were f*cked. exhaust .004, intake .004. In the meantime i noticed some white spots on cyl #1 valves, cleaned them wit rag. And oil copper line in cyl #1 had white gunk in it. Coolant mixed with oil i guess. o rings on coolant tubes were flat, that is replaced, now i'll replace o rings on oil copper lines. Someone can help me with this? Is coolant leaking somewhere else? Also down the hole where coolant tubes go, it looks like theres dirt. Something black...
Aaand, coolant filter on side where is cyl #1 that attaches to coolant tube (my Vulcan 500 is carburetor heated) it had black paint and aluminum particles in it, like sand (not much luckily). Don't know from where this came from. Should I put everything back and find some cooling system cleaner, or take more parts off from the engine. I don't have torque wrench for putting parts back.

(i'll attach pics if needed)
Of course pics are needed! Just realized who you were, I'm the one you've been talking to on Facebook for last day

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had grey gunk in patches on things. This was RTV Silicone (gasket maker). It was spread all over the place to ensure the gaskets weren't leaking and surely fell into places where it didn't belong. I carefully cleaned out things before putting the engine head and coolant pipes back together.
Don't know if this is the same as your situation but see if the "gunk" is rubbery like silicone would be.
Photos would be best.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem is with the engine. After cleaning carbs with cleaner, I decided to flush out the cooling system with chemical flush. Fired the damn thing and engine started bogging so i shut if off immediately. White smoke started to come out of right exhaust. I think/hope its just blown head gasket and chemical flush went easier into the cylinder since it's more aggressive , so it was more noticeable than burning coolant :) All i can do now is to tear it down to the cylinders, buy new gasket and call MC mechanic to put it back since i don't have torque wrench to put everything back to specs. Funny thing is that here we don't have professional motorcycle mechanics with towing truck or van to take this hurt beast and heal it haha :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
...and call MC mechanic to put it back since i don't have torque wrench to put everything back to specs. Funny thing is that here we don't have professional motorcycle mechanics with towing truck or van to take this hurt beast and heal it haha :)
For a plane ticket from Texas I'd bring a proper torque wrench and help you put that hurt beast back together. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you pull the valve head off the cylinder head, you'll need to lap the two together. There's a lot of resources for this, but if you take it to a shop, you need to make sure they do this. When you pull it apart, the valve head has the tendency to warp because of the way it's constructed, and when you put it back together, the most common result is the compression from the cylinders pressurizes the cooling system. I'll shoot you some links on Facebook, since they are in a different forum.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'll buy some beer and pay for a ticket bikerbill
I'll see what i'll do. I can take it to machine lapping, but machine will always took more surface than it is really needed. Mechanics here don't do lapping 90% of the time, they even told me that lapping is not necessary at all, just gasket replacement...BTW granite or quartz plates are expensive, i think i'll stick with glass. Will glass with 1/3 or 1/2 of an inch thickness serve good for lapping? Think its tempered glass, don't know if that's how you call it...Do I need to lap bottom side of the cylinders since i need to remove it? I plan to put new head, cylinder base, water pump and valve cover gaskets. Luckily i managed to find Permatex 80037 valve grinding compound (3oz), that should be more than enough?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'll buy some beer and pay for a ticket bikerbill
I'll see what i'll do. I can take it to machine lapping, but machine will always took more surface than it is really needed. Mechanics here don't do lapping 90% of the time, they even told me that lapping is not necessary at all, just gasket replacement...BTW granite or quartz plates are expensive, i think i'll stick with glass. Will glass with 1/3 or 1/2 of an inch thickness serve good for lapping? Think its tempered glass, don't know if that's how you call it...Do I need to lap bottom side of the cylinders since i need to remove it? I plan to put new head, cylinder base, water pump and valve cover gaskets. Luckily i managed to find Permatex 80036 valve grinding compound (3oz), that should be more than enough?
Did you see the thread I sent you the link on? I got my granite Stone for free. They usually throw the part they cut out for the sink away. They let meet pick which one I wanted, and were disappointed I only wanted the one lol. Machine lapping not necessary.

Don't need to lap bottom of cylinder head, just top of cylinder head and bottom of valve head where they meet. You'll have to remove the valve heads think, so you don't end up lapping those too.

That tube should be plenty. Start with it undiluted. Then as you progress, you can add water and thin it down to make it more fine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had some problems with accessing that forum, solved it now. Still can't see images and can't verify account... Instead I saw some pics at your photobucket while reading the lapping thread ;) Asked some companies if they have and want to give/sell me granite cutout, now i wait for response.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Had some problems with accessing that forum, solved it now. Still can't see images and can't verify account... Instead I saw some pics at your photobucket while reading the lapping thread ;) Asked some companies if they have and want to give/sell me granite cutout, now i wait for response.
Yes, I asked many questions in that forum to verify before I went to work. I like to have all my facts together before starting. The picture here is what my valve head looked like before I cleaned it up and lapped it. That thread also makes clear if your head gasket is in good shape, it can be reused if you paint it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Instead of 'lapping' a cylinder head or other large surface I will use a large flat file. It is quick and you can keep track of the high spots you are trying to reduce.

Regarding 'painting' of a head gasket, it is true that paint can fill and seal small imperfections I prefer to use a new gasket. The metal gasket material has a certain amount of 'crush' that also helps fill in those small imperfections by design. Once 'crushed' it cannot 'crush' again and therefore must be replaced.

Given the amount of work required to replace said cylinder head gasket I don't think it is worth the time to save a few dollars. Go with a new gasket if you can.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New head gasket will go in cart among other needed gaskets then :)
I'll see what I will do about lapping once i disassemble head

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Quick update.
I took off head today, here are some of the pics how pistons and head look.

Piston #1 isn't centered (should it be?) It's positioned a little bit to the front, but I didn't encounter any problem with Cyl #1 at all. (second image, it is visible)
Cyl #1, 2-3 spots of rust near the top of the cylinder wall, will this cause problems?
Gasket's already been reused, right side where it leaked is bent, and RTV was used to fix the problem.
Don't know who done lapping, but this marks on surface looks very professional to me (being sarcastic) :)
I decided to took head and cylinder to machine lapping, it will cost me about 10 bucks more than doing it myself + they will grind valve seats, clean head, hydrotest for cracks and warpage after lapping etc...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Pictures aren't showing up. If I try to go to them directly I'm seeing 'Your client does not have permission to get URL'.
Thank You for letting me know, It should be fixed, uploaded images to photobucket now. Both cylinders are not centered when I level them, so I'm thinking that should be normal, never smelled burning oil while engine was running.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, that explains it.
Everything so far seems good, mating surfaces are perfectly flat, so no warpage, little bit of surface rust on cylinder walls, nothing that can't be cleaned off, cooling system clean, except head, only in head passages I found grease buildup. Head came off very easy but cylinders won't, they're stuck. I'm scared of hammering it too hard, don't want to break something :) I'll think of something about cylinders tomorrow.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks, that explains it.
Everything so far seems good, mating surfaces are perfectly flat, so no warpage, little bit of surface rust on cylinder walls, nothing that can't be cleaned off, cooling system clean, except head, only in head passages I found grease buildup. Head came off very easy but cylinders won't, they're stuck. I'm scared of hammering it too hard, don't want to break something :) I'll think of something about cylinders tomorrow.
Are you referring to the cylinder head? The housing that sounds them?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts