Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom SE. It has about 200 miles. While riding around town I noticed a whirring sound from the right side of the bike like a gear was engaging and disengaging. To clarify this is my third motorcycle and the bike is factory stock. It seems to happen when I hit 25mph and continues on up. I cannot hear it past 40mph because of the wind noise but I can still feel it engage and disengage. It happens when I am accelerating and decelerating until just below 25mph and it seems to stop. I also just had it looked over and one dealership said it was because of a tight drive belt which was fixed so it wasn't so tight. This did not fix the problem. Any ideas?

Thank you from a new brother.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. As far as I know, the Vulcans tend to whistle, whir, chirp, whine, tic, etc.... If you get it figured out, let me know so I can fix mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I'm reading I'm seeing a lot of people blaming the stator but for bikes that have high miles and mine just cleared 200 miles total. I am dropping it off tomorrow at a local shop in hopes they can find out what is going on with it. I was simply seeing if anyone else had the same issues and had a fix. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
whirring noise

Is it possible you are hearing the belt noise? I notice mine when I'm in too low of a RPM for the gear I'm in. If I down shift it goes away. The rep. from Scootworks says Kawasaki has a bulletin about the dealer tightening the belts too much when they are new. It chews up the belts and causes noise. Just a thought...

·
Registered
60 Posts
my 06 900 with 1500 miles coming off the gas i hear that whirrring noise as i slow down seems to diminis when I pull in the clutch, lifted the bike off the ground check for anthing loose anywhere wheel bearings etc all is tight is it that the belt is too tight?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the belt loosened the other day by a dealership but they refused to further check the noise out. This did not fix the issue. I don't think it is the belt as it is coming from the right side and the drive belt is on the left side. I will have the other dealership tomorrow check out the belt to make sure me driving it from WV to VA didn't mess up the belt. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whirring noise

I believe the noise coming off a shift and decelerating is normal transmission whine. My wifes 900 classic has been doing this for over 36,000 miles now and I found that my drive belt needs adjusting according to temperature. I know this sounds nuts but the bike sounds better in the cooler months with the drive belt tighter than in the warmer months and I adjust accordingly. In the cooler months I tighten the belt to maximum spec and in the warmer months I loosen the belt to the minimum spec. This can be a trial and error thing because a belt that is to loose will chirp and scream while a belt too tight will howl and make loud noises when decelerating. Sound will travel and this makes finding the source of the noise very difficult to say the least. About all you can do is try adjusting one way and if that don't work try adjusting the other way.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
RPSLS, Welcome to the forum. This doesn't sound like a stator problem. The stator is bolted to the crankshaft so you hear it any time the engine is running. It's most noticeable standing still because there's no wind to hide it. That sounds like a turbine winding up as you goose the the throttle. Diagnosing sounds without hearing them is always tricky, but this sounds like normal transmission gear noise from your description. With stock pipes I hear the transmission more than any other sound on the bike. It's my first V-twin so comparisons to my earlier bikes aren't fair, but this bike has the loudest transmission I've ever heard. Accelerating, cruising and decelerating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From everything I have been reading, (and what the dealer said) it comes down to belts and how tight the dealer makes them. I had the same noise and once they loosened the belt the noise eased. I still have a slight noise but it is no where near the loud noises I had. My concern was a warped pulley but I was told nope. Love the bike, noise and all..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts