Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I would normally agree with Waldo on the diagnosis, but your bike has such low miles.

1. How long have you owned?
2. Where does the whine seem to be coming from?
3. Did it just start one day or has it gotten worse over time?
4. Any problem with the clutch?
5. Do you tow a trailer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have owned the bike for about a year. The noise is mostly when I down shift and let oof the throtle. No cluch problems, no trailer towing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Has it gotten worse lately or always been there? Some level of gear whine is normal. I remember when I bought mine it actually did it worse, but then after some miles on it, it got better. It still whines a little though. I think when you let off the throttle your engine takes up the slack (gear backlash) in the system which creates the noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has it gotten worse lately or always been there? Some level of gear whine is normal. I remember when I bought mine it actually did it worse, but then after some miles on it, it got better. It still whines a little though. I think when you let off the throttle your engine takes up the slack (gear backlash) in the system which creates the noise.
I dont think it has gotten any worse ,I put quieter exhaust on so can hear it better

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Those gears, if in good shape and adjusted correctly, should be as quiet as a church mouse.

Noises are very hard to diagnose over the internet. Yours could have been like that from day one due to poor set up or?

Keep your ears tuned for any change.

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Hi.
I have a similar sound that I've had since the bike is new. When I back off the throttle it sort of sounds like something is freewheeling inside. It doesn't happen all the time, seems more often when I've been riding for an hour or better, even then not all the time. Usually when I'm downshifting from a higher gear (4th or 5th). There has been no change in either the noise, the frequency of it happening or the performance of the bike. My bike is an '08 1500FI with going on 35K. I'm a bit hard of hearing but the best I can tell it is coming from the engine area. Never towed anything.
I have always assumed that since it was there from the get go there's nothing to worry about. Now I'm wondering.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Megatron
181 Posts
If the bevel gears/bearings are bad, the noise will always be there.

Is it likely those bearings/gears were bad from the get go? I have very little mechanical knowledge, do you recommend I have them checked? Can you tell me the name of the parts you refer to? Thanks for your advice sfair.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Is it likely those bearings/gears were bad from the get go? I have very little mechanical knowledge, do you recommend I have them checked? Can you tell me the name of the parts you refer to? Thanks for your advice sfair.

Noise diagnosis over the internet is almost impossible to do with any certainty.
You describe a "freewheeling" sound.
The bevel gears will make a howling/siren type of sound on de -acceleration if they are the problem. If you have ever heard the transmission in a 1947 Dodge 5 ton....similar to that.

If the factory did not set the gear case up correctly, they could be noisy from day one, and that could be possible but rare.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If you have 35K on with no noise change, I am thinking that there is no problem to worry about...but I cannot say that FOR SURE.
The bevel gear case noise gets worse over a short time with complete failure, if left.
There even have been a few instances where the case has caught fire and burned the bike to the ground!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a similar noise, but I'm almost certain it's coming from the right airborne, where the throttle body is.

I just bought the bike so I don't know if it's been there a while or not. I hear it it when I let off the throttle, but it stops when I pull in the clutch and coast.

So I'm hoping that it's just air being sucked in and not the bevel gears.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I've got a similar noise, but I'm almost certain it's coming from the right airborne, where the throttle body is.

I just bought the bike so I don't know if it's been there a while or not. I hear it it when I let off the throttle, but it stops when I pull in the clutch and coast.

So I'm hoping that it's just air being sucked in and not the bevel gears.
Is the intake stock?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts