Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a stator issue but I'm not sure. I've read many of the posts about stators here and am looking for a little advice. my 07 900 has 13000 miles on it and about a month ago I started to notice a whine coming from the left side. It's gotten progressively louder over the last month, so I took it to the Kawi shop. The mechanic (don't know how good) said he'd never heard that before. I asked about a stator and he said they haven't had much trouble with those. On to an independent shop. They listened and took voltage readings at the battery (14+) and said it's most likely a stator but the only symptom I have is the whining. Lights don't dim, runs fine. Should I even be driving this? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Does it kind of whine up and down?

That's the sound mine made for about a year. Then, one morning, on the way home from work, on the inside lane of the interstate at 75mph, the engine died. Why? Because the stator gave out. So, yeah...that sounds like the stator.

Kaw makes a great bike...but I think they import these stators from Outer East Elbonia or something...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it kind of whine up and down?

That's the sound mine made for about a year. Then, one morning, on the way home from work, on the inside lane of the interstate at 75mph, the engine died. Why? Because the stator gave out. So, yeah...that sounds like the stator.

Kaw makes a great bike...but I think they import these stators from Outer East Elbonia or something...
Yes, it does go up and down with the throttle. Thanks for the quick reply. It's real loud and annoying, so I think Im going to order one from Rick's and try to do it myself. They want about 500. to do it at the shop, or 800. if they use the OEM stator. I'm fairly mechanical but I hope I'm not getting in over my head. 160. sounds better than 500.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts