Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have a 2011 vulcan 900 classic lt.. It has 2,300 miles on it...
I just got it last Sunday, Today was the first day me and the wife could take it out.....we rode about 120 miles.....

I love the way the bike handles, before I broke my back I was a goldwing rider and this is my first bike since then. Anyways when I get it up to cruising speed 45-55 it has a whine/ whistle so bad I can hear the pipes.....it is only on acceleration as soon as I let off the throttle quite as a mouse.....this is driving me crazy, I love the bike but cant ride it if this is a normal sound.....please help..

I have read that it kawasaki sometimes sends them out with belts too tight.....could this be it?

I have been lurking at all the vulcans forums and this one seems to be the best.....you all seem like a bunch of great helpful people..hopefully I can sort this noise out so I can love this bike even more.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Could be the rear pulley. I had one do that but only after I installed the SW pulley. I went to Baron's and no more screaming. I have loosened my belt to compare with Harley and others. I have no Idea why the OEM is so tight.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound seems to be coming from the left side pretty much around where my leg sits...is that where the rear pulley is? Also how much did you loosen your belt?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I set my belt so I could twist it about 45 deg. at mid-point. I am just telling you what I did based on info given me by a motorcycle tech. You might try it as a process of elimination..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to say what might have been done before you got it.
The guy I got it off sold it for health reasons, he bought it new off show room and only changed the oil in it....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are some good info threads on here on Stators I recommend looking them up.
Do stators make a loud noise only on acceleration? As soon as I let off the throttle its dead quite.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I never heard of a Stator going bad on the newer bikes, mostly 06 07. The rear pulley is mounted to the rear wheel assembly. The front pulley is next to the area you described. You can pull the cover off and have a look.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never heard of a Stator going bad on the newer bikes, mostly 06 07. The rear pulley is mounted to the rear wheel assembly. The front pulley is next to the area you described. You can pull the cover off and have a look.
Thanks for the help I love the bike, but this noise is too much and it only seems really noticeable it at cruising speeds of 45-55. Also I noticed it seems to have alot of vibration on acceleration, I chalked this up to the v twin but I had a 750 honda v twin and a kawasaki 650 v twin that never had such a vibration.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Might be good to let a dealer tech check it out. I love this bike as well. I broke my neck and had to give up my bigger bikes. I re-entered on a HOnda 600 with a special built gear shifter for a year, then up to the 900 in 07 still have it. If I tried anything else it would be a Victory of about the same weight, but they have a small fuel tank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again I think I am also going to pull the plugs, I have a hunch one may be dead causing vibration my 650 v twin did this once.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Here is another thing to look at...which happened to my 900 as well.

There is a silver cover below the side cover on your left hand side. Behind that is the coolant reserve. That bottle is held on by just a small metal tab. What happened is that when I kicked the kickstand, I was whacking that cover, which push the coolant bottle back just a tad, enough that the tab was touching the belt.

Hardly noticed it until I got to about 55mph, when it started screaming like crazy.

Give that a check...and while you are there, maybe do a little belt lube too, just to be safe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same problem on my 1700 classic. I finally got the belt quiet but have the same whine exactly how you describe. If you pull in the clutch and the whine persists it's your belt or pulley. Im convinced it's the tranny or associated component.It truly ruins my riding experience. If you find a fix let me know and i'll do the same if I find something.

Jimmy D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have the same problem on my 1700 classic. I finally got the belt quiet but have the same whine exactly how you describe. If you pull in the clutch and the whine persists it's your belt or pulley. Im convinced it's the tranny or associated component.It truly ruins my riding experience. If you find a fix let me know and i'll do the same if I find something.

Jimmy D
If it is a tranny or gear issue, I may try synthetic oil and a additive like slick 50 to tame this screaming beast.

This may work.
http://lucasoil.com/products/motorcycle-products/motorcycle-oil-stabilizer

·
Registered
101 Posts
Careful with additives. I hear some of those can wreck your clutch

1 - 20 of 56 Posts