Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost alweays wear ear plugs when I ride and occasionally have the speakers going when on the highway. A couple times a month I make sure to take the bike (Vulcan 900 Custom) for a spin without plugs/tunes to make sure the bike sounds good ... kind of a loose term with the 900s as they make many noises anyhow.

On the ride in to work to I heard a whining noice, only when I roll on the throttle, and it only lasts until I reach higher RPMs, when it stops.

This happened to me a year ago before I had an out of province inspection, they mentioned there wasn't anything wrong with the drive belt which was my first though (belt overtight and squeeling)

This went away last year and has seem toI cannot remeber the service shops diagnosis, but the the soudns hascome back this year.

Has anyone else heard this whine/squeel on the throttle, or have any other ideas what it could be? Maybe front/rear pulley teeth could be damaged? I'll do some more investigating tomorrow and let you knwo what I find.

Thnaks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got off the phone with the sho.p
Forgot that they installed new tires, so it very well coudl be a belt issue as they did their test drive after they replaced the tires.

I have a belt tensioner coming in the email, so I will get the belt tension done here next week hopefully.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I always check my belt tension if it's been in the shop for anything relayed tot the rear tire or brakes. More often than not I have to readjust

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Belt tension is one of those things you can end up chasing around quite a bit. I also suggest learning to do it yourself, otherwise your bike could just end up sitting at the shop a lot. Sometimes you have to adjust it to spec and find a little wiggle room to reduce whine or gear lash, and learn to live with the other effects the adjustments can sometimes cause. A belt tension tool can run about $20 if you buy one from a dealer (probably cheaper online), and it's worth it I think.

Also, the tension spec on the 9 is really tight. A lot of guys run theirs a hair looser to reduce whine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gents. Sfair I have checked the voltage in the battery, I should do a voltage check. I only have 13,000 Km's , less than 10k miles on an 2009 bike (more than half that's from when I bought it in 2011). I sure hope the stator yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts