Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2004 vulcan 2000 and I've noticed that while slowing down in first gear with the clutch disengaged I hear a distinctive whine sound coming from the front left side of the engine. This noise is not there in any other gear, not on acceleration. Is this normal?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The OP said he only hears this "with the clutch disengaged."
Until he drops back by to verify this, there isn't much point in trying to help because he really shouldn't be hearing anything except the engine idling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, only with the clutch pulled in and only in first gear while coasting to a stop. Maybe I should of said whirring instead of whining. Kinda like an electric motor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like that may be it, but it seems to be originating from the lower left front. I've checked the front drive pulley and it was good. The bike only has 17k miles on it. I know with the clutch disengaged the gears still turn. The odd thing is it only occurs when I pull the clutch in in first. All other gears are silent. I contacted the dealership that had the maintenance records on file and they said there's never been an issue, just routine maintenance performed

·
Registered
30 Posts
I here a whine on mine as well. I just thought it was normal and it had Cobra pipes on it so hard to here anything to tell where it is coming from. I just ride it. Sometimes I here the brakes also lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from riding and noticed it's only present when the clutch is pulled in and while coasting to a stop in first above 10mph. My last bike had really loud pipes and I never heard it, but that may be why. It only occurs in first with the clutch disengaged. No other time. Sounds like a whine with a doo doo doo cadence, if that makes any sense. I haven't noticed any issues, shifts fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a sound clip of it. My bike is making the exact same sound as this GSXR on decel in first with the clutch pulled

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I was thinking it was the straight cut gears chattering, normal of course, but wanted to make sure. Someone mentioned the front pulley. I'm aware that's a problem area, but I checked and it was still hold 130ftlbs of torque. Plus the sound is definitely coming from the lower front left side of the engine. Once again thanks for the reassurance

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Thanks, I was thinking it was the straight cut gears chattering, normal of course, but wanted to make sure. Someone mentioned the front pulley. I'm aware that's a problem area, but I checked and it was still hold 130ftlbs of torque. Plus the sound is definitely coming from the lower front left side of the engine. Once again thanks for the reassurance
I dont think the front pulley makes much if any noise unless the splines actually strip out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts