Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not even going to consider one of those Ipod touch things, Those are more money than they are worth. I want a simple IPOD that will work with the adapter cable. I could never see any use to have one of those things to start with. My $4 10 year old RCA model 202 I got at Wal Mart mp3 player works fine for aux input. The AAA battery lasts about 12 hours. I did not get the aux adapter, I just spliced in a female miniplug with a 8 inch pigtail into the wires. That way it is permanently attached, and plenty of length. Works fine. Just use a double male end miniplug to your device.

BUT... I was given the ipod adapter soooooo.....

What do you use and where would I find one? Apparently the one you see being used in all the Voyager reviews is no longer made I guess.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Generation 5 nano works flawless....been using mine for almost 2 years....140 bucks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Actually this makes a good opportunity to ask a question I have been thinking about... can one have both the iPod and Aux adapters attached simultaneously and still use them? (not listen to them simultaneously, but not need to unplug harnesses to switch between them.) From what I can see the iPod adapter uses one of the factory plugs to interface with the controls but still sends regular analog audio (I think headphone equivalent out the iPod proprietary interface) to the same inputs the Aux adapter uses. The way Bubba already has one wired inline solves the issue of having to switch out the audio plug but that leaves the question... if the stereo sees that an iPod adapter is plugged in, but does not have an iPod currently attached will it still allow selection of the iPod/Aux input to allow a non-iPod device to play? And if so, internally will the stereo amplify differently depending on if it thinks there is an iPod there? Not sure if it would assume the output level of an iPod device vs. non-iPod would be any different.

I don't have either of these adapters to play with yet. Even so, for doing the Aux I would probably just build my own for much less and not splice into the factory wiring... my preference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just picked up the 6th gen. ipodnano this is the latest ipod about the size of a postal stamp. i down loaded alot of my cd's onto itunes and they synced up very easy thank god. im not to teckki. works great in the vv. so now my wife and i can listen to our own tunes. im more frank sinatra she's more nickelback fan but what hell it keeps us happy and jammin down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
TheAudiDoc.... your crazy... I can't believe anyone would pay that kind of money for a mp3 player... 140 buck????????? WHAT??????:confused:

Pow_2k.... I would not leave anything plugged into the AUX while something else plugged in. You are just asking for feedback, shorting, and eddy current problems.

I was thinking more in line of a nano... USED...... as cheap as I can get it. My 4 dollar mp3 player works FINE. Just turn it on and replace the AAA battery every 10 hours.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pow_2k.... I would not leave anything plugged into the AUX while something else plugged in. You are just asking for feedback, shorting, and eddy current problems.
Not saying the device would be plugged in, but that the port would be available. Let me try explaining it this way...

Install the iPod adapter but also splice in an AUX adapter to the 3-wire plug. You now have both an iPod plug and a standard mini stereo plug available to attach things to. Want to use the iPod? Hook it up and select the iPod input from the stereo. Want to use something from the AUX input? This is where I think it gets interesting. Based on the selection pattern shown in the owner's manual it appears if you have the iPod adapter hooked up that the AUX input does not show up as a selection. So, if you have both adapters installed the bike will detect the iPod interface box on the controller cable, knowing to display iPod as the selection instead of AUX. Is it designed that if it sees the iPod adapter installed but no iPod connected, will it skip over the option entirely? (Some car stereos can do this.) If it doesn't skip over it, but still knows it has an iPod adapter plugged in will it still accept audio from the AUX connector when iPod is selected even if there is no iPod attached? And if so will it still amplify it correctly or does it think that since it sees an iPod adapter that it should be at a different level?

Er... does that help or did I make it more confusing? :confused:

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Semi-related question, Does the iPod device charge while its connected and playing?
Absolutely! I use an iPod Touch; when I get to a motel with WiFi, I can use it to check email, or browse the web...it's all charged and ready to go when I get there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
TheAudiDoc.... your crazy... I can't believe anyone would pay that kind of money for a mp3 player... 140 buck????????? WHAT??????:confused:

I was thinking more in line of a nano... USED...... as cheap as I can get it. My 4 dollar mp3 player works FINE. Just turn it on and replace the AAA battery every 10 hours.
I may be crazy But i"m not a cheap [email protected]@..... I don't buy junk :eek:

·
Registered
369 Posts

if you want to use the aux input, and have your songs displayed on you voyager, you might have to sacrifice a little more money to have that "luxury". your best bet in finding something cheap is to get on eBay. maybe you might get lucky. just make sure the ipod has the apple 16 plug i think its called to work correctly. i have an iPhone 4 and even though when i plug it in, on the phone it displays a message about it might not work correctly, it still work beautifully.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
TheAudiDoc. I did not say you was cheap..... just crazy....:D

My $4 mp3 player still works fine, but like I said, I was given the ipod adapter and if I can get a ipod cheap enough, and I am probably going to get a nano, I have no use for anything that check mail, goes online, has any type of video playing, takes memos, voice mail . I just want to listen to all my rock and roll because where I live, and almost everywhere we ride out here there is zero radio reception for hundreds of miles. Our Saturday lunch runs are 500 miles or more depending on where we go. The closest Wal Mart from me is 250 miles. (or closest anything)

I had XM for several years, but they wanted too much for it after they kept raising prices. We had XM in/on all of our Patrol cars and Patrol motorcycles here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kawasaki recommends using an Ipod with a flashdrive like the Nano not one with a spinning hard drive because the vibrations will cause it to malfunction. I found this out the hard way :-} The nano works great by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after 3 weeks of looking I am no closer to deciding which one to get than I was when I started. Way to many of them for me to figure out.....

I am sure I want a nano but I would want a new one not used.... Ebay isnt much help nothing but accessories and used or broken ones. Amazon not much better.I would assume Best Buy, Wal Mart would be good place to look but the closes one to me is over 200 miles. Even Sams Club....

I have the kamikaze adapter cable..... made my own mp3 connection... the mp3 connection cable is nothing but a consumer rip off. It can be built for less than a dollar...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts