Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, i have been doing small upgrades to my bike. I started with the footpegs and next handlebar is in the works. Next i do want to get a windshield. Although i am not a big fan of those for they radically change the sleek look of the bike. But highway riding and the wind buffeting makes one tired.

I looked at the kawasaki cafe windshield as it blends well with the bike and is sleek. Also been looking at memphis shades.

What in your experience has provided good wind deflection without the column of air rattling the top of your helmet?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have stock, but I have been eyeing quick release shields just because I'd like to take off with the wind in my face sometime.

Then again, I commute on my bike and the bugs/gravel/metal parts that the shield has kept off me on the Slab I commute on pretty much makes me want to have the shield on permanent. A quick release though would be nice to pop off so I could hit the NON slab destinations/twistees.

Oh, and 70-80 mph gets old quick without a shield.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kawasaki cafe windshield is what i have on my bike. I was looking for a windshield that was minimal in size but yet kept alot of wind off me. I'm 6' 1" and this windshield is too short for me. Allows alot of wind in my face. The one place I was trying to eliminate it. Live and learn I'm gonna try the next size bigger from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks or Comfort?

I used the Cafe shield for two years and it does take the wind off your chest very well. What it does not do is protect your head. I did not get any buffeting but got tired of cleaning the bugs off my face shield.

I switched out to a Memphis Shades 21" and homemade lowers. Not the best looking on a Custom but I ride for pleasure and it is a great ride now.

It all depends if you want the shield for looks or comfort.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Memphis Shades 17" Slim. And I am upgrading to the 21" Fats and lowers like BlueCruisers.

I'm 6'2" and am tired of the buffeting.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Howdy,
Having had both the Cafe and the Short OEM here is my experience.
Cafe-look coo, take the air pressure of your chest but puts it right in your face.
Short-still looks cool but its only a 15" so it does not offer that full protection at highway speeds or those long touring days. This one puts the air in you upfer face so i much better than the cafe.

Today I should get my new 21" so I will post how it works for me. It's funny, I once said hell no I would never use a large windshield and look at me now. Best advise is go and get fitted at your local bike dealer and they will advise which one will offer the best protection for your size.

·
Registered
742 Posts
personally if you had to put a windshield on a custom... i would say the cafe.

i don't see many sportster or similar style bikes with shields on them... the look of the bike is changed when you put one on and besides, they were not publicized as "touring" bikes... that's why they made the classic and classic lt. if you turn the custom into a bagger style, then don't worry about the looks so much and just get what makes your ride better... there was one i saw (the guy on here with the green kawi with chick speedo) that pimped out his custom with everything including a batwing, it don't look like a custom any more other than the front wheel but it looked sweet.

again, that's MHO... and my rides have been fine doing 80 on Rt.1 riding down to ocean city, md... wind, yes... but i got my bike to enjoy the rides not to be able to store a bunch of stuff or pack up clothes for long trips. that's what the people in the car going to the same place as me are for!! :D

to each his own! just have fun with it no matter what!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great thread, many people questioning like we are, I am leaning towards the Flyscreen, I have rode for long distance without, but a little shielding might be nice, but do not want to give up the looks as most worry about on the Custom. Same comment hard to spend $130+ on something so small

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had the OEM short 15 inches did a good job and didn't take away form the looks of the custom. Recently changed to the PlexiFaring II for the simple reason I wanted the BatWing look with out the weight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased the Memphis Shades "Demon" a few weeks ago. Looks great on the bike and is a nice comfort feature without taking away the look of the custom. I just like the idea of bugs on my windshield versus bugs on the leather.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I started out with a 21 in. Switchblade quick release since my wife had shown some interest in riding with me. She has been on the bike three times in a year and a half, no I'm not heartbroke, its more my thing, anyway. After the second time I ran into rain on the way home from work, I cut it down to 15 in. At 5' 6" I can see over the top and the wind buffetting is minimal. The key is the quick release! If I want to ride with the wind, I can have the windshield off in about a second, and back on in about 2.

·
Registered
113 Posts
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic

Looking for the original windshield & mounting brackets for this bike. Have a Memphis Shades 21 inch shield with brackets to trade. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great thread, many people questioning like we are, I am leaning towards the Flyscreen, I have rode for long distance without, but a little shielding might be nice, but do not want to give up the looks as most worry about on the Custom. Same comment hard to spend $130+ on something so small

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode several bikes, 2 with windshields, quite a few others without. That included a 4000+ km trip from Saskatoon to and through BC. I have come to hate windshields and would rather have the wind hitting me than look through a windshield. I was the same way on a snowmobile. My jacket does get covered in dead bugs and I have to stop more often to clean my helmet visor but I stand by no windshield. I will admit though that after 8-10 hours on the highway I was absolutely exhausted. So I have no issues with people who have them. I just don’t want one on my bike. My wife is short enough and I’m tall enough that I’m her windshield.

When I do get my bike, love both Vulcan 900 and the Vulcan S, it will not have a windshield.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I rode several bikes, 2 with windshields, quite a few others without. That included a 4000+ km trip from Saskatoon to and through BC. I have come to hate windshields and would rather have the wind hitting me than look through a windshield. I was the same way on a snowmobile. My jacket does get covered in dead bugs and I have to stop more often to clean my helmet visor but I stand by no windshield. I will admit though that after 8-10 hours on the highway I was absolutely exhausted. So I have no issues with people who have them. I just don’t want one on my bike. My wife is short enough and I’m tall enough that I’m her windshield.

When I do get my bike, love both Vulcan 900 and the Vulcan S, it will not have a windshield.
......But your not supposed to look through them, your supposed to be able to look over them. The wind is kept away from your head, but your not looking through it. If I had to look through a windshield it would drive me crazy too.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe I was riding the wrong bikes then! The ones I rode with them were not mine. It’s definitely what I’ve gotten used to now so sticking with it, unless I ride one with one that is proper height and like it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I have the OEM on mine but had it cut down some to fit me properly. Love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts