Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an hour to work each morning on my VN900 Classic. After about 30 minutes, my butt and legs start to go numb (literally-no blood flow) and begin to hurt. I have gotten good at shifting around and such, but eventually I am really uncomfortable. I even got engine guards/foot pegs to give me another position to sit in. That helps, but still I get to hurting. I want to get a better seat. My finances put me in the $200-$400 range. So I am looking at Saddlemen, Mustang or Kawasaki gel. Does anyone have one of these and can give me advise? The Kawasaki set is much less expensive than the others, but that sort of scares me too. Thanks for any advise you can give.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've been researching this.....It seems like a product called "Airhawk" gets great reviews. It was designed for medical purposes to reduce/eliminate bedsores.However, it's not a seat replacement (you put it on top of your seat).

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a Corbin seat which I love, but they're expensive. It's a hard seat, but the way it's sculpted, it's very comfy. I think there was a guy here selling one with low miles. Snatch it if you can. Mustang seats are also wildly popular, and for good reason. I've never heard a bad comment about them. I've never sat on a Saddleman, so I'll refrain from comment, and the Kawi seats aren't much better than the stocker.

Good luck.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I switched to a Saddleman seat about 6 weeks ago. While it's leaps and bounds better than stock, it's not quite there yet so I'm considering either and Ultimate or a Rick Mayer (Russell Day Long seat are great but are way too expensive).

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I switched to a Saddleman seat about 6 weeks ago. While it's leaps and bounds better than stock, it's not quite there yet so I'm considering either and Ultimate or a Rick Mayer (Russell Day Long seat are great but are way too expensive).
I actually tried a Saddlemen Solo seat last year but returned it. For one, there was a small cut in the vinyl when it came, but also it didn't ride well. I didn't know if their bigger seat with the passenger pad was better or not. I am kinda leaning toward the Mustang as a next try. There is a Cycle Gear store in Charlotte. Being a chain company, they have a 7 day no hassle return to the store. Which is nice since most small bike shops don't let you return special orders. Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
seat

We just got our Kawasaki gel seat about two weeks ago. Took our first long trip on it last weekend, huge diff. from the stock seat. Found it on e-bay for $214 free shipping. We realy like it. Everyone is different so one seat may not be the same for one as it is the other.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I switched to a mustang 2 Up seat on my custom. Even though I did not do long trips on the stock seat, I do love the Mustang. It has a nice fit to the bike and my rear. I went with the Tour version so my wife gets some nice padding also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the Mustang myself. I was tentative at first because of all the hype, but I can say that its true. There is some sort of steel wing design that floats you above the seat pan between the pan and padding. Dimension wise, its 16"inches wide and has a 9" rise on the back that supports the lower back and makes a world of difference. After a 400 mile day, you can hop out of the saddle like you've sitting in a laz-z-boy. Good luck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey Jeep Pirate, here's a thought... Why dont you head out to a local "bike night" at a hooters or something. As popular as the 900 is, you're bound to run into one.

Talk to the owner and see if you can sit on it. You may not get more than a few minutes on it, but you'll feel the difference immediately.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, BTW, there's a guy who resculpts the OEM seat as an inexpensive alternative to a replacement seat.

Spencers at www.greatdaytoride.com
Thanks for the info CycleDude. I am actually going to a bike night tonight. I always keep my eyes open for 900s. Of course there are always all those American made bikes there. My best buddy has one and I joke that he spent twice as muck for a bike that tries to shake his eyeballs loose. Anyway, I checked out the Spencer's Seats site and will definitely consider that option. Thanks again to all for your advise.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Of course there are always all those American made bikes there. My best buddy has one and I joke that he spent twice as muck for a bike that tries to shake his eyeballs loose.
LOL, I rode one at a dealer day and thought I was going to lose a filing from one of my teeth. :D

A buddy of mine has 2. An 05 Electra Glide in "Chopper Blue" and a 71 shovelhead sportster. The 71 is awesome.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL, I rode one at a dealer day and thought I was going to lose a filing from one of my teeth. :D

A buddy of mine has 2. An 05 Electra Glide in "Chopper Blue" and a 71 shovelhead sportster. The 71 is awesome.

I admit there is nothing quite like a HOG. But I was riding with my buddy just the other day. We pulled up to a stop light and I looked over. His was shaking so bad I had to ask him "Is that normal?" He just grinned and sheepishly said "yeah, it is." His handle bar end was jumping up and down at least a full inch. Oh well, to each his own. I would like to have the metal fenders, pulley covers, etc. that come standard on a HD. My painted plastic fenders are pretty, but they are still plastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
900LT Hard seat

I tried the OEM Gel replacement...didn't find a big difference from the original factory seat. I just installed a Mustang seat, with a world of difference.
I'm ready for some touring !
:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I tried the OEM Gel replacement...didn't find a big difference from the original factory seat. I just installed a Mustang seat, with a world of difference.
I'm ready for some touring !
:)
Thats good to hear. I went straight from the stock to a Mustang after much deliberation about the cheaper gel seat but I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
141 Posts
After a 2 hour ride last night my back was killing me.
Does the Mustang seat address this issue do you know?
Or should I look into different bars?
I had the same problem. I'm 6'3" and after a long ride on the stock seat, I would start squirming and have a sore lower back for awhile. The Mustang has 9" of rise to it and covers my tailbone so I can lean into it pretty good. If I kick my feet up on the highway pegs, its like reclining. While a Mustang with a backrest would obviously offer more support, the 9" works just fine and is about $100 less. I've ridden a couple hundred miles on the Mustang so far and there hasn't been an hour of soreness to note so far.

Finally, the "suspension" system on a Mustang is different that stock. On a stock seat, you just have the foam to cushion you while a Mustang has overlapping steel wings that float you up a bit more and absorb a lot more of the road before it hits your back. I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did not ride long on my stock seat, I went straight to the Mustang for my passenger's comfort. I do think I sit a little higher on the Mustang, but the little bit of back support goes a long way. When I start to get a little uncomfortable on a long ride, I can lean forward on the bars a little and change things up. I am 5'11', so taller people may not have that option. Highway bars may be a great addition to the Mustang for taller people.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.
I am used to a more standard style of sitting and don't want to slouch back as I would never be able to get up again....ouch!
So I am hoping with a better saddle to get a more neutral seating position....like the cops seem to have on their hogs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts