Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need your help (and YES, I've tried to help myself). :grin2:

I'm trying to learn how to do my own maintenance, and next up is the oil change. I've scoured the forums, and after absorbing a lot of valuable information (thank you), I've only ended up more confused.

So far it looks like the most popular oil for the V900 is Rotella T6, however here where I become confused:

1. WEIGHT
Rotella T6 comes in viscosity 5w-40 15w-40 synthetic, but the manual calls for 10w-40. How important is it to use a 10w-40 oil? If its not important, do I use 5w or 15w?
[Hot Cruiser] scared me when he stated:
...I tried using Shell Rotella 15w-40 and I have an actual oil pressure gauge on my 900. At startup and until the oil was warmed the pressure gauge registered pegged at the top reading, meaning that the oil viscosity was so high that it could have activated engine oil bypass pressure valves and so inhibited its ability to lubricate bearings, etc., so I switched back to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic...
[LINK]

2. T4 or T6?
[btom] went and shook things up when he stated:
...a real synthetic oil is a Group IV or Group V Base Oil, both Rotella T6 is neither, Rotella T6 5w40 and T6 15w40 are both Group III Crude Oil Base. The word 'synthetic' on the T6 jug is for 'marketing' purposes only and is not a 'refinery process' word. What you want in your bike is a Diesel oil with CK-4 like both Rotella T4 15w40 which is JASO or Rotella T6 15w40 CK-4 which is also JASO...
[LINK]

3. WHERE IN THE WORLD?
So then I read which weight of oil you use is based on where you live in the country, and the time of year.

TLDR:
I live in the Seattle area year round. I have a 2010 V900 Classic LT. So, which Rotella do I use?

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
23 Posts

I'm trying to learn how to do my own maintenance, and next up is the oil change. I've scoured the forums, and after absorbing a lot of valuable information (thank you), I've only ended up more confused.

So far it looks like the most popular oil for the V900 is Rotella T6, however here where I become confused:

1. WEIGHT
Rotella T6 comes in viscosity 5w-40 15w-40 synthetic, but the manual calls for 10w-40. How important is it to use a 10w-40 oil? If its not important, do I use 5w or 15w?
[Hot Cruiser] scared me when he stated:

[LINK]

2. T4 or T6?
[btom] went and shook things up when he stated:

[LINK]

3. WHERE IN THE WORLD?
So then I read which weight of oil you use is based on where you live in the country, and the time of year.

TLDR:
I live in the Seattle area year round. I have a 2010 V900 Classic LT. So, which Rotella do I use?

THANK YOU!

I like when guys start asking questions in reference to using diesel products because now I feel like I can help instead of asking for help. I would recommend using T4 15W40. You don't need to pay the extra $ for the T6. I am a fleet maintenance manager for a trucking company and this is the only oil I run....even in 2020 model trucks. I send in oil samples on every oil change (35,000 miles) and have not had any lubrication issues and viscosity is still in the acceptable range. I have never heard of any issues with using this oil in motorcycles/atvs. This will give you really good engine protection for Seattle weather and won't cause you clutch to slip due to all the friction reduction additives you will find in other oils.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I second the above post.
Here I cant ride 6 months of the year, for ice, snow, and cold (-30°F).
The low number with the "W" means "winter" or what the oil weight is in the colder temps.
For Seattle I think you would be fine with 15W-40.

I use it, but I dont ride if the temps go below 50°F.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I use the T6, 5w 40 for almost the entire time I have owned the bike, 40,000 miles. I ride in our northwest weather as well as East of the mountains in the warmer months. No issues. I do change my oil and filter around 3-4k miles (oil's cheap). Easier, Shifts, fast pump up. Just make sure you do not lower your idle, to make it sound like a other brand. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Really... Below are links to folks that will conclusively point you to T6.
Oh, and the same number of folks will also point you conclusively to T4.
Some will point you to Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/20-oil-lubrication/253009-shell-rotella-new-2017-categories.html

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/14-vulcan-2000/31804-rotella-t6-oil-motorcycle-specific.html

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/20-oil-lubrication/235409-what-synthetic-oil-you-using.html

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/20-oil-lubrication/24406-switching-back-rotella-15-40-dino-13.html

and more are available if you SEARCH for them.

You will never get a conclusive answer to your question. Because there is no conclusive answer to your question.

Use whatever oil you want that conforms to manufacturers specs, conventional or synthetic, and your nine year old bike that has been swilling ( whatever) all this time will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Basically the same for me as for Rider 50 and with same experiences, also live and ride in PNW. Have used Shell Rotella T6 5w40 since 2009 when the cost for specific motorcycle-purpose oil here shot up to about $8 per quart.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Manufacture calls for 10w-40

“Rotella T6 comes in viscosity 5w-40 15w-40 synthetic, but the manual calls for 10w-40. How important is it to use a 10w-40 oil? If its not important, do I use 5w or 15w? “

First the “w” is for weight of oil - not winter.

Second your using 5w or 15w -40 is in the ball park of manufacture recomendation so you are good.

Everyone wants you to buy their brand it called marketing - :nerd:

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
WOW I stand corrected “W” does stand for winter

:nerd:

Thanks learned something new.

W stands for weight? Then why isn't oil listed as 10w-30w? W is for winter viscosity in multi weight oils. For every source you have that states the W is for weight, there are two that says it stands for winter, including Penzoil.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/types-of-motor-oil-and-recommended-use.html#iframe=L3NvcHVzL3Blbm56b2lsLzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
It is always good to learn something I never thought about what the "W" meant. So I did some research this is what I found.

[/COLOR]The ‘W’ stands for WINTER, not WEIGHT. The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) established a series of viscosity classifications at both 100 and at 0 degrees Celsius. If there is a ‘W’ in the SAE classification, then the oil is rated for low temperature use. [/COLOR]

I use Assoil products for motorcycles, cars and trucks All of which I keep to high millage. My current VN1600b has 53,000 I will likely shoot for 100,00. That being said I am not trying to start nor will I participate in an Oil argument They often end up in name calling.

·
Registered
308 Posts
@1barron
fortunately we don't get much of that name calling business on this forum, not even in the oil discussions :}
It just happens that I'm also using right now some 20W-50 Amsoil (haven't used it years) and man, I've forgotten how much better the bike runs... it's a joke, relax everyone!
@fj2u
fun fact: if you overfill, more oil is going to collect in the air box... aim for the top filling mark with the bike being level. as I recall it takes less than 0.5L to go from low to high. get a manual online (even the service manual) and follow the instructions.

you're gonna bond with the Vulcan sooo much :}

the difference between the two oil weights 5w-40 & 15w-40 is not all that pronounced as far as we are concerned. if you were to put two samples with these oils at a much lower temperature that you will ever use them in Seattle, such as in the refrigerator for 24hrs, you would not see a HUGE viscosity difference...
when they get to freezer temperature the difference in viscosity between the two oils 5W vs. 15W becomes more noticeable, but still not what you'd imagine. today's oils need much lower temperatures to start behaving like honey :}

what i've read, some people doing some oil tests/analysis and sharing thoughts, the T4 maintains it's stated viscosity better (performs better in shearing). and also that the T6 5w-40 doesn't carry anymore the JASO certification for whatever unimportant reasons. I've used T6 many times, nobody got hurt...

be safe, have fun!

·
Registered
308 Posts
@fj2u
forgot to mention that your initial post looks proper :}
nice internets posting skills!

someone please post how much oil it takes to go from the low mark to the full one so I can write it down :}...
I know the coolant takes 250ml from low to full.

·
Registered
285 Posts
...I use Assoil products for motorcycles, cars and trucks...
Oh c'mon now... you're just baiting me... And you know I'll bite.
OKAY
Say there @1barron, where can I gets me some of that "Assoil" you are a talking about?

... That being said I am not trying to start nor will I participate in an Oil argument ...
But, but, but... (get it) you just DID participate by not being able to resist telling us all, that you prefer to use "Assoil".

·
Registered
699 Posts
It's not "winter" really.
Its the weight the oil behaves like when at cold temps.
And when are the temps the coldest - winter.
That makes it easy.

AND Du-ron's post - post #5 - classic!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts