Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very low miles on all. I don't want to buy another bike for a long time if I were to get one of these.

2007 vrod 7K

2011 honda interstate 5K

2006 VTX 5.5K

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why are there so many red bikes out there for sale? I even saw a white Fury. I would not have it if someone gave it to me.

I don't really care so much about the color. I'm in it for the ride and keeping a bike for a long time.

A 1300 cc bike in my opinion is ok on gas mileage. I figure anything bigger is not economical for a mostly 1 up rider.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My opinion, keep looking. The later in the off season up to January down here, the better especially if you can wait till March or April to sell yours.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you are open to ideas, my preference is for the 1300 vstar, it checks all my boxes, 50lbs. more weight then our 9's w/400 more cc's, still good mpg. Food for thought...cheers!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My opinion, keep looking. The later in the off season up to January down here, the better especially if you can wait till March or April to sell yours.
My bike has not sold yet and may not. I'm trying to get some ideas. These bikes are at a good price based on condition and KBB value otherwise, I would not waste my time.

my preference is for the 1300 vstar
I'm not looking at any because there are none for sale in my area. Maybe they are hanging on to them. I am one to do my homework including test driving.

I don't want to buy another bike for a long time and looks like there are lots of guys trying to get rid of rarely ridden bikes.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Have road a friend VTX1300. Can say with the Corbin seat he had, was ok solo, but 2up was miserable for me. Gas milage the time I road it was in the high 40s if I remeber right, know I as surprised it got better mpg than my 800. Did feel like the 800 had more room than the VTX. Handled easy enough, would love that kind of power on my 800.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have road a friend VTX1300. Can say with the Corbin seat he had, was ok solo, but 2up was miserable for me. Gas milage the time I road it was in the high 40s if I remeber right, know I as surprised it got better mpg than my 800. Did feel like the 800 had more room than the VTX. Handled easy enough, would love that kind of power on my 800.

Your input helps! My big concern is my vulcan 900 tank is a 5.3. Most of the vtx 1300s are about 4.4 gallon. Why? I know size of the tanks is an effort to make the looks pleasing but for crying out loud! If you have a larger engine, just go ahead and make a bigger tank. Stopping all the time to gas up like the HD's has got to be a pain.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The VRod will be a screamin-fast hot rod of a bike, and word on the street is they seem to be fairly reliable if you keep on the regular maintenance. But that's the problem...they require some top-end adjustments and that's a full-on nightmare from what I've heard. And like every Harley they're a 3-hole oil change that's a little harder on the pocketbook than those of us when multisump engines are used to. Handling seems to trend toward the "fat tire cruiser" feel, which some fellas really like, but ain't my cup of tea.

I find the VTX a little heavy and awkward for their size, really. But the riding position is fair and hey, it's a Honda, so you can pretty much toss reliability concerns out the window. I dunno what year the 1300 got FI, but I'd check that before deciding...I don't think i'd ever go back to a carbureted bike. The interstate trim is nice, and gets you a sharp little touring package.

As for tank size, here are my observations. The 9 has the largest tank in its class and frequently has a larger tank than other, larger-displacement cruisers. You're not going to beat that short of a touring bike and even then not by a whole lot. The honest truth there is you're probably going to have to settle for less fuel capacity.

BUT! 4.4 gallons is not bad at all. Lacy's Vegas has a tank that size, and I don't feel crippled by it. Her Shadow felt like a broken leg on very long rides, adding another layer of complication trip planning to make ABSOLUTELY certain gas was going in that tank by 120-140 miles. Her Vegas fuel light rarely dings on before 160, and while that doesn't seem like much, over the last couple long trips we've taken it seemed to make all the difference in the world.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
My opinion, keep looking. After all, None of your choices were Vulcans & this IS a Vulcan forum. There's some great deals on the internet for Classics, Nomads, V2k'S & Mean Streaks as we speak... Actually I'm kidding, as long as your riding it doesn't matter what kind you ride.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My opinion, keep looking. After all, None of your choices were Vulcans & this IS a Vulcan forum. There's some great deals on the internet for Classics, Nomads, V2k'S & Mean Streaks as we speak... Actually I'm kidding, as long as your riding it doesn't matter what kind you ride.
How much do you want for your streak?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Daboo311, I my opinion 900 is the best after a few comparison in terms of tank size, after market availability, reliability and mpg (but you will have to fall in love with your bike). But if more power is the concern meeting all the above said factors then I would look for Star1300 though its a bit more heavy, but 20 hp more than a stock 900 with almost similar mpg (depending on the riding style).

But if mpg, touring package, tank size, power, reliability, resale value all have to be met and if you can really think that you can sacrifice your riding style then go for test ride on a BMW R1200GS or F800GS or F800GT. If you are worried about the riding position, check this website http://cycle-ergo.com/ it will help you. I test rode a 800GS and it is a loooot lighter and more powerful again there are a lot of sacrifices you have to think...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would choose the VTX. I have 3 friends that have them. All absolutely love them. Good riding position, decent power, and they handle well.

I didn't choose the interstate for one reason only. Handling. Since its based on the fury, its not gonna handle the twisties as well as I would like.

I didn't choose the Harley, only because of maintenance costs.

However I will say that if you can afford the maintenance, the Harley will be the most fun. Lots of horsepower.

Good luck with you're choice.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know this isn't one of your choices, but I rode my friend's '12 Triumph Thunderbird. The riding position is very comfortable. It doesn't come with floorboards though. Fuel cap. is 5.8 gallons. Lots of power and tq and, in my opinion, it is a great looking bike. And you don't see them at every turn.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Like many, I've ridden the vrod, the vtx but the new interstate i havent. I did ride a Valkyrie back in the day but I guess the new interstate isn't a v6, val based tourer anymore. Anyhow, all the owners, two vtx and 5 vrods, all loved their bikes but I didn't like any if them, not enough to own. So my suggestion is to ride it, and which ever bike leaves you with the highest heart rate or the lowest blood pressure, I'd get. Keep in mind that whatever you choose isn't going to be perfect, after some time yer gonna be wanting a change, some you can do, some requiring a different bike. My dream bikes now are a HD heritage or fb or the star stratoliner. V2k just didn't do it for me but a 16 meanie I would love to put a backrest, rack and soft bags on. Keep looking and riding stuff, you'll find what you want.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm really glad I posted thread because each of your posts are giving me much to consider. It's going to be hard to match what I've had with the 900.

The Triumph Thunderbird is the one I want but I can't afford even a used one and it is rare to see one for sale.

The Honda interstate is by far this best deal of the ones I posted but I really dig the vrod. The guy is wanting 2K less than what it's worth which causes me concern. Maintenance costs are something consider.

I've got a bike paid off and in very good shape... ain't looking to dig myself a hole.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My HD is cheaper to maintain. One thing is the motor does not need Motorcycle specific oil. I put $3/qt Dino in mine (takes 3 Qts & a filter). The other hole (Sporty) takes a Quart of 75W 90 every 12K miles (clutch & tranny). Much less money then my Vulcan.

I don't see how that Vrod is going to be a maintenance cost issue. Even tho I think they're Fuggly.

Edit: If those were the only 3 choices I had, I'd do the VTX 1.8L. 2 pennies...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
What are you wanting out of a bike? From what I see from the selections you got quite a range of difference between them?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want a little more power for touring 2-up for next summer because believe I have enough riding time under my belt. I feel with my wife and I on a bike, the 900 would be lacking especially in the smokies. It has all I need for me but I'm thinking ahead.

I figure if I can sell my bike, for just a little more $$, I can get a pretty decent under-used machine with a little more umph.

I prefer the custom look rather than classic. I'm not that in to the bagger look.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I want a little more power for touring 2-up for next summer because believe I have enough riding time under my belt. I feel with my wife and I on a bike, the 900 would be lacking especially in the smokies. It has all I need for me but I'm thinking ahead.

I figure if I can sell my bike, for just a little more $$, I can get a pretty decent under-used machine with a little more umph.

I prefer the custom look rather than classic. I'm not that in to the bagger look.
Sounds to me like the interstate would be a good choice then. Remove the bags and windshield and you've got a sweet ride. Or put them back on for a light tourer.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sounds to me like the interstate would be a good choice then.
I agree! I'm concerned it would look perfect and sound like best deal then I'd ride it and hate it.

I really love my 900 and don't want to do something I'd regret. I have time!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts