Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you have heated grips. Who has them on a Vaquero? What brand and model did you get? Did you install them yourself, or have a shop do it? If you did it, how difficult was it and how long did it take? Lastly, how well do they work? Thanks for your help.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2016
80 Posts
grips

I had racnray do the avon grips at the same time as his throttle mod excellent workmanship with a fast turn around. The replacement took more time to read the instructions than the install. Get them both at the same time you will be glad you did.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had racnray do the avon grips at the same time as his throttle mod excellent workmanship with a fast turn around. The replacement took more time to read the instructions than the install. Get them both at the same time you will be glad you did.
Just to make sure, because you didn't specify, you did get the Avon HEATED grips, right?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have Oxford 'Cruiser' heated grips on my Voyager. They work great, keep my hands warm even in freezing temps. They are larger in diameter than stock which I like. I installed them myself without issues, the spline in the throttle grip matches perfectly to the spline on the throttle tube. The temp controller is a bit bulky and needs to be filed out a bit to mate with our 1.25 inch handlebar.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Here's a picture of where I mounted mine... On top of the left switchblock, using longer (stainless) screws through that chrome cover that holds the two sides together.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have the Oxford heaters flame grips on my voyager. Just did 400 miles in the 40s And my fingers stayed comfortable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just received a Kimpex grip heater kit:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OP5YDM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I have doubts there would be enough heat transmitted through my Kury ISOs to make any difference, so I am considering laying them over the top of the grips and securing them with some 2" heat shrink, at least as a temporary

·
Registered
381 Posts
I too have the Oxford Heaterz grips. It's true that they are slightly thicker than standard grips but for the price you can't beat the performance. After a year of heavy use the rubber gets soft and will start to mold to your grip. After 2 years the heated wires have started to show through. It's not uncomfortable to heat up as long as I am wearing gloves but I'll probably replace them before next winter. That being said at around $80 they have more than paid for themselves however I wish they sold both left and right replacement grips individually. I mounted the control terminal on the bars between the risers without modification.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I too have the Oxford Heaterz grips. It's true that they are slightly thicker than standard grips but for the price you can't beat the performance. After a year of heavy use the rubber gets soft and will start to mold to your grip. After 2 years the heated wires have started to show through. It's not uncomfortable to heat up as long as I am wearing gloves but I'll probably replace them before next winter. That being said at around $80 they have more than paid for themselves however I wish they sold both left and right replacement grips individually. I mounted the control terminal on the bars between the risers without modification.
I am close to 50,000 miles on the bike and my grips are still in great shape. I always wear full finger gloves when riding because of protection and because our oils destroy rubber grips.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Another option I used for one winter is Oxford over grips - I think they were called Hot Hands - Basically heated wraps that go over your existing grips . . .easy instal in the fall and in the spring just as easy to remove . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts