Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some advise if possible, I have a new 2009 VN2000 classic and am already thinking about changing the exhausts as soon as the first service is completed. Basically here in the UK theres nothing like the choice of suppliers as you have across the pond. I can effectively get my hands on the following..
Vance and Hines Power shots (£595)
Jardine rumblers (£612)
Cobra Pro 2 into 1 (£450)

I have trawled through youtube and heard the various options and they all sound fruity and a vast improvement on the restricted standard pipes, but I wondered what you all though about the relative merits of each system from experiences.
As it is now my leaning are towards V&H (looks) Cobra (sound and price).

Comments please.
Thanks
Martync

·
Registered
240 Posts
Marty

The V & H PowerShots seem to be the most popular choice for many. Nice looking and have a decent low rumble. I went with the Cobra Power Pro HP 2into 1 and have had them for over a year. The install was easy and looks real good too, IMHO. The Cobra pipes are fairly quiet at idle and low speeds, but have more of a "growling" sound at hard-throttle, where the V & H is more of a "lower, rumble". I had the V& H BigShots on my 1600 Classic and really liked them too. One thing that I like with the Cobra exhaust is that they have a lifetime guarantee. I think both exhaust systems work very well on the V2K. I don't really care for Jardine exhausts, because the one that I put on a Suzuki Intruder 1400 I once owned became rusted and pitted in less than a year. I don't know what their quality is like now, but I won't purchase anything else from them (JM2C).

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Rumbles

I'd like some advise if possibleVance and Hines Power shots (£595) Jardine rumblers (£612) Cobra Pro 2 into 1 (£450)
I wondered what you all though about the relative merits of each system from experiences. As it is now my leaning are towards V&H (looks) Cobra (sound and price).
Marty, I have put many pipes on many bikes and have come to the conclusion that a 2in1 is the only (best) system for a Vtwin motor. Currently I have the Cobra Pro 2n1 on my v2k. It is muey better than stock. Deep throaty rumble at idle and nice deep tone under load, not too loud. Personally I think the muffler is too short as it only clears the rear axle. I have extended it with a 4inch ss cherry bomb turn out extension. So now it is a sidewinder and makes even deeper throbs.
Stay away from 2in2 straight pipes. They bark too loud and you dont get the Xtra tork that the 2in1 gives. They are just annoying.
I had V&H 2in1 on my 02 meanstreak and loved it. I also put the same pipe on my 07 roadstar and thought it sucked. So am not a fan V&H.
I also have a RineHart 2n1 on Betty my 'lectraglide. It is a very good pipe and was kinda pricey... BUT... the best pipe system I have had was the RoadHouse brand 2in1 on my 05 roadstar and it had the best deepest, purest sound and feel of any pipe system I have experienced. I would have gone back to it on the kaw, but I wanted a system that fit lower on the frame so I could lower my bags as well, hence Cobra got the order.
My Guzzi came with a stock 2in1 system.. but I couldn't resist changing that ugly garbage can muffler for a netami can with a stinger. dont go looking, it is an automotive unit and fits and worx like a dream. out, ponch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's, really constuctive comments. I was erring towards the Cobra after listening to various posts on You Tube, your comments and the fact its by far the cheapest system make it look like the way for me to go. It looks kind of funky too with the Y branch pipe.

I was considering the de baffle, but I think I will keep the standards as is and replace as the weight saving will be significant too.

Thanks again. Ride safe....

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Weight Loss Program

I was considering the de baffle, but I think I will keep the standards as is and replace as the weight saving will be significant too.
Marty, the stock pipe system weighs in at 42lb. the cobra unit is 16lb. Not only do you gain a 26lb weight loss but it is no longer hanging out there in (rear) space like a giant lever. The new unit provides better mass centralization, closer to the bike.

Tip for removal of stock exhaust system; it is removeable as one whole assembly and takes all of 5 minutes:
1) Remove right front floor board
2) Unbolt both head pipe flanges
3) Unbolt stock pipe mounts (4) at frame
4) Remove stock system by pulling away from motor and frame
5) re install right front floor board.
Follow this procedure will give you whole new perspective of how well thought out and built this bike is.

The rear fender with all its wiring also is one whole sub assembly and can be removed and reinstalled as simply. Makes for serviceing the rear end/tire a peice of cake work. I only wish my davidson was this easy.;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Poncho,
Finally got the Powershots fitted yesterday (its a long story, involving a company going bust after I had paid them for the system, Thankfully I aid with Paypal and got it all back).
I see what you mean about the weight saving, When I dropped the standard system off, I nearly gave myself a hernia. A quick and easy install and what a beautiful sound. Better ground clearance, better sound, less weight and better looks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Martyc.I have just fitted some powershots also!.Not far away from you in Bham.I found them too loud and so took them to custom chrome in Nuneaton who inserted some extra baffle tube which has taken away the harsh noise and got more the deep rumble now but not so "blatty" loud.Also just had a Power Commander 5 put on and what a difference,they run lean from the factory for emissions and by remapping the fuelling in both cylinders,what a difference! it pulls much better/stronger now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At last, someone here in the UK with a V2K. Interesting you say that about the baffles, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that my neighbours are going to be rather miffed when I go to work at 6 in the morning. I have some quiet baffles and extra wadding but I can't get the baffles out. Did you have any problems removing them? I take out the retaining screws and they pull back about 12mm then won't move, I emailed Alchemy who sold me the pipes and they suggested emailing V&H but I'm still waiting for a reply. I also fitted a power commander last weekend I went for a III on the advise of the supplier. Ive taken her around the block and it seems to be much crisper but the weather has stopped me in my tracks. I had a b****r of a problem with a big backfire on closing the throttle, my fault entirly as I tried using the existing gaskets, just fitted new ones the other night and when i took the exhaust off I could see the soot around the joint face. Ive just done a deal with a guy to take a Kuryakyn Corsair off his hands for £90 just got to make a manifold to fit it.
Let me know about the baffles if you have any advise, and do you have the details for custom Chrome in Nuneaton? FYI my email is [email protected] Cheers Martyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
No worries I joined specially as I saw another uk one also!! Mine is a new model too.I couldnt remove my baffles either same as yours..had me completely baffled! Custom chrome came up with the answer..You wont do it,they tend to weld themselves in,its due to the poor packing around the baffle,it moves when they are inserted and all folds up inside.An absolute ****** to remove..Custom chrome will also make you some sleeved inserts,they spent an hour removing my baffles and repacking with thicker custom wrap plus new baffle tubes..£30!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts