Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to use a lube for sealed chains so the chain seals don't deteriorate. Which lube are you guys using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I accidently caught some wet roads the other day about 350 miles into the odometer on my new Vulcan S. That being said, I thought it would be a great time to do my first chain service and get familiar with the process on this bike. I did several hours of research since my previous experience has been with off-roading bikes and quads only. I was going to get the DuPont chain saver with Teflon since it was cheap and readily available at many nearby stores, but I read Teflon can be real hard to deal with if you're not very careful. Overspray of teflon can be damn near impossible to remove especially on a porous surface. You would also have to make sure that you cleaned the hell out of that chain first because then you'd have a close to impenetrable layer of Teflon just covering dirt. All this being said, I went with Motul synthetic lubricant. I don't have the bottle around but I believe it was the c4 formula. It was the only one that cycle gear had in stock that did not contain Teflon. I cleaned the chain thoroughly with WD40 (I know lots of people swear up and down that this ruins the rings but I've personally been using it for years on my off-road O and X ring chains with no issues) and left it to dry for about an hour, then applied the motul lubricant. It doesn't seem to pick up any dirt at all so far (rode about 50 miles since the application) and it sticks to the chain like no other so you don't have to worry about getting any lube spots on you or the rear of the bike. I'd definitely recommend it. Another thing I noticed is that when I would ride next to cars, I could hear the sound of the chain bouncing off the car next to me, but with the motul lube, that sound is almost non-existent.

Reactions: spaych

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep motul is great..me and all my friends use " motul road + " chain lube. Its extremely adhesive.. as rs7jr said no lube spots on bike, less chain dirt, less noise.
I find it best to clean chain with diesel, clean diesel from chain with water, then lube ... cheap and available just about everywhere

Best to lube when chain is hot after ride, so the lubricant flows easily into gaps where it needs , and then let it few hours to cool.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just did my first chain clean/lube. Do you guys have any tricks for not getting lube all over the place? I used a piece of cardboard to shield the tire but that did not cover 100% of the overspray.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I lubed chains I used pressure can lube (PJ1, if I recall), it had a thin plastic tube output which didn't spray, allowed one to lube only the spot which one wanted to lube.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I purchased Motul MC Care - Factory Line Lube. Everything I read on it seem to say it was one of the best. I also purchased something called a Grunge Brush (http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solutions-RGB800-Grunge-Brush/dp/B0012TPVC0) and GreaseNinja (GreaseNinja Drive Chain Lubricator).

I plan to clean the chain with Automatic Transmission Fluid. It is a good light lubricant and is specifically designed to not harm rubber o'rings.

I got the Grease Ninja to see if it works as well as advertised to save getting chain lube all over my rims and floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts