Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 08 VN900LT yesterday with 6500 miles & got a great deal, but she needs new tires. I definately want to go with whitewalls, but am torn between Metzeler 880 or Bridgestone Exedra. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of which tires are better for longevity & handling? Are there any other brands I should be taking a look at (don't care for Dunlap)? I'd like to get at least 10K out of them. Dunlap's are on the bike now & they are as bald as a billiard with only 6500 miles on them. The guy I purchased the bike from was an older gentleman (not a hot rodder) & used the bike for short distances back & forth to work. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter:)

Linda

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Ive used Dunlops on my 800 classic, but not the 404s, get the 402s, they last twice as long. I get about 18,000- 20,000 on the rear and 38,000 or so on the rear, riding 2up almost always. They are actually Harley tires and dont come in metric sizes. Dunlop D402Touring Elite II MT90B16 Front Tire. Dunlop D402 Elite II MU85B16 Wide Whitewall Rear Tire. WWWs with rim protecting beads, bead comes past edge of rim about 3/16 inch to help protcet rim and keep tire on the rim in case of sudden flat while riding.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had Metz's on mine and liked 'em. When I had my 9 it's all that was available. They clean up good, and have decent tread life. Whatever you get, use Wesley's (sp?) Bleche White on 'em.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive used Dunlops on my 800 classic, but not the 404s, get the 402s, they last twice as long. I get about 18,000- 20,000 on the rear and 38,000 or so on the rear, riding 2up almost always. They are actually Harley tires and dont come in metric sizes. Dunlop D402Touring Elite II MT90B16 Front Tire. Dunlop D402 Elite II MU85B16 Wide Whitewall Rear Tire. WWWs with rim protecting beads, bead comes past edge of rim about 3/16 inch to help protcet rim and keep tire on the rim in case of sudden flat while riding.
Thanks for the tip. But the tire sizes are different on the 800 from the 900. How can you be sure they will fit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had Metz's on mine and liked 'em. When I had my 9 it's all that was available. They clean up good, and have decent tread life. Whatever you get, use Wesley's (sp?) Bleche White on 'em.
How many miles did you get on them?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm amazed the stockers only went 6500 miles. I just replaced the stock front at 15,625 and replaced the rear around 13,000.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Stock size on my 800 are 130/90/16 front, 140/90/16 rear. Thats for a classic, the custom is different. Was only trying to point out that the brand doesn't determine how fast they wear, the model of tire can give you a drastic difference in mileage. Weather they come in the size you need, I dont know. You didnt say what size you looking for. Have you looked at the Commander IIs? Supposed to deliver great mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts