Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have the Custom 900 (1st pic) that has tasteful mods (Exhaust, FI 2000, Big Air Filter and Screaming Banshee horn) I have saved money to BCB out. However I am not sold 100% on bobbing it. Why? Because I really like the Vulcan 800 also. I know its a matter of personal taste but I still want to ask which bobber do you prefer? Why? And which one holds value better?

Help me out with pros and cons before I dive in please! I'll post pics of whole rebuild. (Oh and if I bob mine out what color seat would look best?)

Pic 1-My current bike with tasteful mods
Pic 2-How I envision my bike
Pic 3-An 800 bobber that I like a lot

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't really like the 3rd one, second one is really nice. My opinion only... looks kinda like an HD rocker

·
Registered
164 Posts
Making your bike a bobber will not help the bikes value at all,not only will you not get the money back that you put into it you will most likely get less for the bike if you sell it as a bobber then if you were to keep it stock.
If you make it a bobber just be prepared to loose money when you go to sell it, so make sure it's something you will want to keep for awhile
(When people go the route of a bobber they typically want to start with a stock bike so they can make it the way they want it)

That being said, I like the look of your bike better stock than the bobber pic you posted
I don't like all the flat back on the 900 bobber but like the look over the 800 bobber

Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the first pic looks nice. But the problem is the same with all 900 customs including mine. The rear sits too high over the rear tire. It needs a lowering kit. But if your over 6 foot like me lets face it, its just not the best option for comfort.

Number 2 doesnt look bad but I agree that its a little to much black. I think theres a fine balance of chrome on all black bikes. Plus the Custom from wheel is the absolute opposite of bobber style. One reason I havnt made the bobber leap on mine yet. I think I would have to have the Classic front wheel.

I love the way the 800 looks bobbed out. I like pic 3 but it needs to change the handlebars. Drag or Mini Apes.

I agree with what was said above. If your worried about resale, bobbing it is only going to disappoint you. Ive seen alot of bikes with the BCB kit on CL here in El Paso. They only seem to sell for the low end of the NADA value. They look cool though.

Im currently working to save up for the BCB kit too because Ive come to face the fact that I wont sell my bike for what I feel its worth so I might as well keep it forever.

My suggestion. Keep your 9 and buy and 8 for cheap and bob it! Id do it if my wife would let me :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think the first pic looks nice. But the problem is the same with all 900 customs including mine. The rear sits too high over the rear tire. It needs a lowering kit. But if your over 6 foot like me lets face it, its just not the best option for comfort.

Number 2 doesnt look bad but I agree that its a little to much black. I think theres a fine balance of chrome on all black bikes. Plus the Custom from wheel is the absolute opposite of bobber style. One reason I havnt made the bobber leap on mine yet. I think I would have to have the Classic front wheel.

I love the way the 800 looks bobbed out. I like pic 3 but it needs to change the handlebars. Drag or Mini Apes.

I agree with what was said above. If your worried about resale, bobbing it is only going to disappoint you. Ive seen alot of bikes with the BCB kit on CL here in El Paso. They only seem to sell for the low end of the NADA value. They look cool though.

Im currently working to save up for the BCB kit too because Ive come to face the fact that I wont sell my bike for what I feel its worth so I might as well keep it forever.

My suggestion. Keep your 9 and buy and 8 for cheap and bob it! Id do it if my wife would let me :D
@White Magnum si basically your saying my bike will not look good with a bobber seat, back fender and blacked out turn signals?

I am 5'11" and wouldn't mind the lowering kit. Where can I get one and how low should I go if I choose to not bob it?

Trying to give it a "tougher" look. Is that possible?
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
120 Posts
@White Magnum si basically your saying my bike will not look good with a bobber seat, back fender and blacked out turn signals?

I am 5'11" and wouldn't mind the lowering kit. Where can I get one and how low should I go if I choose to not bob it?

Thanks for the input
I know exactly what you mean by making the bike look tougher. I had the same feeling about my bike. I bought it with the intention of putting a B&B kit on it, but I felt like every 900 bobber looks the same. Also my wife still wanted to go for rides with me so that killed that idea. Over the last year I have been adding parts here and there to make the bike closer to what I want. The 900 Custom looks great but it's a little too chopper for me so I ditched the 21" wheel and got a set of wire wheels from a Classic. I also went up to a 150 tire up front for a mean look. Then came the rear fender. I wanted to emulate the clean lines of a bobber while still keeping the rear struts so I can carry a passanger. I think i achieved that. The rear still sits high, but I will be lowering it soon. The seat also had to be custom made to fit the new fender. It looks like a totaly different bike. Next is the front fender. It will also be custom fender to match the rear one. I feel like my 900 is unique and I think that is what I wanted all along.

Stock

Last week.... Before the seat was done

With the seat

·
Registered
304 Posts
I really don't like the look of a stock 900, my opinion only, the second pic in the first post is badass!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know exactly what you mean by making the bike look tougher. I had the same feeling about my bike. I bought it with the intention of putting a B&B kit on it, but I felt like every 900 bobber looks the same. Also my wife still wanted to go for rides with me so that killed that idea. Over the last year I have been adding parts here and there to make the bike closer to what I want. The 900 Custom looks great but it's a little too chopper for me so I ditched the 21" wheel and got a set of wire wheels from a Classic. I also went up to a 150 tire up front for a mean look. Then came the rear fender. I wanted to emulate the clean lines of a bobber while still keeping the rear struts so I can carry a passanger. I think i achieved that. The rear still sits high, but I will be lowering it soon. The seat also had to be custom made to fit the new fender. It looks like a totaly different bike. Next is the front fender. It will also be custom fender to match the rear one. I feel like my 900 is unique and I think that is what I wanted all along.

Stock

Last week.... Before the seat was done

With the seat
Sweet! So you changed both tires and rims? May I ask where did you get them, how much they were and the exact size or part numbers? Looks great!
@Cardsin2005

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sweet! So you changed both tires and rims? May I ask where did you get them, how much they were and the exact size or part numbers? Looks great!

@Cardsin2005
I did have the same rims as your bike. All I did is bought rims for a Vulcan 900 Classic on eBay used. They may or may not come with tires. Mine came with used tires and I ran them last year and got new ones this winter. It is a direct swap from Custom wheels to Classic wheels. All Vulcan 900 wheels are interchangeable. I got very lucky when getting wheels. I paid about 150 for my front and 125 for the rear.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I have decided to "bob" it out with the present wheels. if I don't like the look I will switch out the wheels. Any other suggestions before I proceed?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks for the input
Not necessarily no. For my personal tastes, I think the bike in the second pic has too much black. Yours however, has the graphite colored wheels which may be enough to break up the monotony. If you went that route, I would probably use a tan seat or some other color to break it up. Again, these are my personal tastes so its really up to you. I don't wanna sound like Im putting your interests down.

I usually look to meancycles.com when I first look for aftermarket stuff but there are other sites like cruisercustomizing.com that have stuff for the 900 too. Just google it but heres a link to some lowering kits.

http://www.meancycles.com/store/main/category.cfm?id=2300&bikeModelID=5764

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im building it close to the second bike but to my liking and taste. I will post pics as it progress's. Its in the shop now...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts