Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help im getting ready to buy a 900 but dont know which one to get if anyone has rode both the custom and classic is there a big difference in comfort? please give me some input. thanks lee

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Having recently ridden a friend's classic for a short test run, I didn't really notice a difference comfort wise, at least to me... the wider wheel up front on the classic helped a bit when riding on roads with pavement grooves that ran the length of the lane with the flow of traffic, but the floorboards with the heel shifter was bothersome.

Of course, I wear a size 12 shoe, and I was already used to the toe shifter before I tried out the classic, but it seemed hard for me to get my foot positioned comfortably between the levers (toe and heel) on the classic's floorboards. I think the pegs on the custom give me more flexibility for adjustment for where I actually place my foot (i.e. inside edge, outside edge, all the weight on the toe, all the weight on the heel, etc.) but there are plenty of people who can sell you on the benefits/comforts of a floorboard too, I'd bet. It also felt like the classic's controls weren't quite as far forward as they are on the custom. To a 6'4" rider, that makes a difference.

In low speed maneuverability, I think (hard to admit! LOL) that the classic actually handled a bit better in the parking lot, as it seemed to be a bit more stable through tight turns and backing up.

As far as highway riding, outside of my comfort level with the floorboard, they both seemed to handle about the same. I wasn't as comfortable leaning the classic into curves at higher speeds, but again... I'm already accustomed to my 900 custom, and my test ride on the friend's classic was just a short 30 minute round trip.

We didn't ride long enough to testify 100% about seat/ride comfort, but I really didn't notice much difference between the feel of either with the stock seat on, other than, with Oklahoma's triple digit highs, I obtained SBS (sweaty butt syndrome) in record times on both seats. HA!

Remember, my opinions are biased by my love for my 900 custom, but I tried to be as open-minded as possible! Hope that helps?

LONG story made short -------> Sit on both of 'em, judge 'em by appearance according to YOUR tastes, and decide based on how YOU feel. They're both incredible bikes and a lot of fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the reply im leaning more towards the custom im only 5"6 but i love the look of it should be bringing home this saturday.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just purchased a custom yesterday and drove it 140 miles home having never ridden a 900. I am coming off a Vulcan 750 and I'm sure there is a built in bias there somewhere but the 900 is not a comfortable seat wise, foot control but most importantly reach.Im over 5' 10" and weigh 170. I had sat on both a classic and a custom and decided that I didn't like the floorboards, the tube tires and the spoked wheels. Some of that is of course personal taste. What I noticed yesterday was that I felt after a while that I was more "hanging on" to the bars rather than feeling comfortable. Part of that may be trying to decide where to sit on the seat but I had to stop once because my throttle hand was going to sleep. All this is to advise that you at least sit on the bike you are going to purchase and be sure the reach and controls fit your stature or that something can be modified to make it fit you. All that said, the custom is sure a pretty bike. Mine is a metalic red and even my wife commented on it. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't comment on the classic but I am 6'2" and with some adjustments, I'm very happy and comfortable with the 900 custom. I had another bike before that had floor boards and a heal toe shifter, I didn't like them although I got used to them after a while. With any bike there's no way one size fits all, I had to adjust the brake and shifter lever position, and change the handlebars. I had the same problem with the wrist position and my right arm going numb with stock bars. With a set of Vulcan 1500 Classic handlebars, I can ride comfortably for many hours now. I even like the stock seat, although the passenger may have a different opinion.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts