Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting closer to replacing my EN500 with a 900 Custom. I have started to look. Are there years that were better than others? Years to avoid? Changes I should know about? Advise me. I am seeing a lot of 2007 Customs for sale. Is there a reason for this?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have an 07 Custom which I purchased used. There are 2 issues in my mind with this year.

1. The zertz fits to grease the swing arm have a habit of being broken off is you ride over curbs - mine are both intact - lots of threads on this.

2. the big one - stators are known to fail prematurally. This is a $350 repair job is you cannot do it yourself, when I purchased my bike I made allowance for this. So far know problems I have around 8000 miles on my bike....problem supposedly shows up around 15k miles.

Otherwise the bike is solid and the price I paid more than compensated. apparently they fixed the problem after 2008. Again there are many threads on the stator.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the gloss black 900 Customs but found they were harder to come by as I think they stopped making them after 2008 and started making the matte colours

.. "I think" being the key words here

·
BOTM Winner, February 2015
83 Posts
got a 2013. It's been awesome so far. *knocking on wood*

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
The 900's are virtually unchanged from 06-15 with the exception of a few minor things that most wouldn't notice. Like the grease fittings on the swing arm were removed in 09 I believe, the stator problems were fixed in 08, etc. But for the most part they are mostly unchanged. What works on an 06 will 99% of the time work on a 15. They are great bikes, ultra reliable, and hella fun to ride. "Big bike" feel, better than average mid-size performance. And cheaper insurance being under 1000cc. Find one you like, and go for it. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only other big change other than those mentioned was the move to the blacked out look vs. chrome. I think it looks much better that way, but it's all personal taste.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The only other big change other than those mentioned was the move to the blacked out look vs. chrome. I think it looks much better that way, but it's all personal taste.
+4 on great bike, cheap to buy, operate and maintain very reliable and great fun to ride.

I was going to buy a blacked out model but got such a good deal on a dark red chrome, 2011 custom I couldn't resist. Now I am glad I have the chrome version, it is kind of timeless, all black maybe a little trendy.

If you pull the trigger post us some pics!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I doubt this matters but at some point they have a connecting tube from one pipe to the other. on the Baron's video for the lowering kit they removed the top exhaust pipe and had open access, mine does not.

mainly your options are to go for the color you like and if it already has any extras on it that's a plus (less for you to spend later). I like the blacked-out look which is what swayed me in the 2011 direction.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
mainly your options are to go for the color you like and if it already has any extras on it that's a plus (less for you to spend later).
I wouldn't say that really. I can't imagine it would cost much to paint a couple fenders, a tank and some small side covers. Color is fairly easy to change especially on these bikes. But I agree that if you find a bike with extras already purchased and installed it would save you a bunch of cash. My bike didn't have many accessories installed but the 2 main ones it did have saved me around $600.

I like the blacked-out look which is what swayed me in the 2011 direction.
I like the blacked out look too which my bike is pretty close to blacked out now, but was passion red when I bought her.

This is what is so great about these bikes. The aftermarket isn't swarming with options, but there's enough out there to help us all make our bikes as unique to us as we want.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got my 07 used and it now has around 21,000 on it. No problem with it. I rode a VN750 before this and it's a lot more fun to ride and a lot more comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts