Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I should know this or at least not be so lazy that I can't even bother googling it, but where did Kawi get the name Vulcan from.

...Squid question?

Live long and ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe it was just random cuz I did a quick google and wiki search and came up empty. It's a great name for cruiser bike though.

·
hasbeen
258 Posts
The Merriam-Webster.com site has the definition as

Vulcan

Main Entry:
Vul·can Listen to the pronunciation of Vulcan
Pronunciation:
\ˈvəl-kən\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Latin Volcanus, Vulcanus
Date:

: the Roman god of fire and metalworking — compare hephaestus

Roman God of Fire sounds pretty kewl :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think he meant why they chose it - if there was any special story. However, it's probably just that the name was powerful and the tie in with the Roman god of fire was (not to mention his relation to the ultimate mechanic - Heph) and you have some synergy here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found this tid bit - Tubal Cain came from a long line of ancestors that could build amazing things - solomons temple etc...
Whether or not the name Vulcan is linguistically derived from the name Tubal Cain, it is clear that at least some Freemasons and other occultists associate the two, and this is not a difficult leap to make considering the shared profession of the two. It is documented in history that Tubal Cain was a forger of metals and a crafter of tools. We know that Vulcan is the false god of the forge. There is more in the Masonic lore of Tubal Cain and in the Roman story of Vulcan, however, that ties the two to the spirit behind Freemasonry and to each other.
Read what you want into it but Vulcans come from the Gods for mortals to play with!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think he meant why they chose it - if there was any special story. However, it's probably just that the name was powerful and the tie in with the Roman god of fire was (not to mention his relation to the ultimate mechanic - Heph) and you have some synergy here.
That's why they named their accesories: Fire and Steel.

Interesting.

G

·
0 Posts
Very interesting info on the Vulcan name! I've done some checking wondering why Kawasaki used the Vulcan name without much success. It's hard to believe Kawasaki would think that deeply. Maybe someone else has another explanation.

2002 Mean Streak VN1500P. Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's actually based on a misunderstanding. When the designer in charge showed his drawings to the CEO of Kawasaki the boss exclaimed, "That's a f#$%in' good-looking motorcycle!"

Confused by the boss's Japanese accent the marketing guy heard "Vulcan" and that's how it got its name.

·
Registered
213 Posts
"You need the car "dat soon"??? (Datsun)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts