Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A spare key?

Hello everyone! I just had two new keys cut for the bike as I only was given one when I purchased it. I am going to keep one key in the house and I would really love to hide a key on the bike itself. I am curious to hear any ideas from the collective about where and how to hide a spare key on the bike. Please, no smart azz ideas about where to hide it on my body - too uncomfortable and just plain weird :devil2:

I am thinking perhaps one of those magnetic boxes attached to the under side of the rear fender. However, I am concerned that it may not stay put tho, given the pounding and vibration from the crappy roads here. Maybe the access cover to the overflow bottle/fuses?
Anyplace else others do and or have used?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies.

Cheers!

Mike

Reactions: dr2000

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
331 Posts
Why not in your billfold aka wallet ???

Seems logical to me...unless you carry a purse ...LOL !!!

Seriously though...

Reactions: Ron M

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Truth is motorcycle thieves don't look for keys. They aren't gonna ride your bike away. Motorcycle thieves tend to load it into a van or truck and take off with it. Exceptions to every rule but, if you had a pouch or non-locking bag of some sort (windshield bag, etc.), finding somewhere inconspicuous in there to put it is probably sufficient. Wallet is a good suggestion too.

If you REALLY wanted to go crazy, you could replace your ignition setup with this:

m-Lock (RFID ignition lock) - m-Lock - RFID-Ignition Lock m-Lock - Electrics

You can buy small RFID tags from them. Stitch them into your gloves, stick one in your wallet. Whatever! I think that system is pretty cool, myself.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys! I found a good spot that will accommodate my needs and interests in keeping a concealed key on the bike. And NO, I'm not gonna tell you where!

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! I found a good spot that will accommodate my needs and interests in keeping a concealed key on the bike. And NO, I'm not gonna tell you where!

Cheers!

Mike
There are several. Like Romans said most bike histers just pick it up and leave with it. The easiest is to drill the top of the key to fit a tag bolt.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I suspect you are looking for a place to secure it for an emergency? such as loosing yor key when traveling?.. if so, I suggest perhaps what I do when I ship a bike.. securely tape the spare key inside the headlight bucket where it wont get dislodged. its a pain to dig it out, but is doable.

on the other hand if you are trying to secure a key for reasonable access everyday emergency.. why would you want to post it on the innernet..?..

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Behind the sissy bar pad if you have one. Takes a tool to get at it if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A spare key?

Hello everyone! I just had two new keys cut for the bike as I only was given one when I purchased it. I am going to keep one key in the house and I would really love to hide a key on the bike itself. I am curious to hear any ideas from the collective about where and how to hide a spare key on the bike. Please, no smart azz ideas about where to hide it on my body - too uncomfortable and just plain weird :devil2:

I am thinking perhaps one of those magnetic boxes attached to the under side of the rear fender. However, I am concerned that it may not stay put tho, given the pounding and vibration from the crappy roads here. Maybe the access cover to the overflow bottle/fuses?
Anyplace else others do and or have used?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies.

Cheers!

Mike
I met a bloke in a pub who had his attatched to an earing.He reckoned he once woke up at a rally without his trouser's,and on another occaision had to make a rapid exit through a woman's bedroom window.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Either here or in the ignition ... I usually forget to take the key out ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts