Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am about to get the sebel air horn to put on my Voyager.
Where do you guys install it?
If you have pics... please share.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mounted my compact nautilus in the right lower fairing....I will try to find my photos from the install

·
Registered
273 Posts
Stebel horn

Did you all have a different MINI? stebel? Wasn't aware they made a smaller unit. I had the original on my 900 and want to get one for my new voyager. Did you also use hook up directly to the existing horn wiring or use a relay? Thx, Gary

·
Registered
381 Posts
Found out the hard way that mounting mine in the OEM horn location is the worst place to put it! Thankfully the wires kept it from ending up under my tires and possibly causing an accident.

Ended up relocating it next to the toe shifter and has worked great since.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys for your input. Those of you who installed it by the gear shifter... Did you have to fabricate some kind of bracket?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I used a flat piece of metal and drilled holes in it. Really easy to make.
I had a couple of chromed bars with convenient holes left over from mounting slip on mufflers on my previous bike. Mounted a Wolo on each side. 3 dissonant frequencies between them and LOUD!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Thunder Mfg. air kit which moves the air filter to inside the bell housing on the right side so I put my air horn inside the bell housing on the left side where the OEM air filter used to be.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Did you all have a different MINI? stebel? Wasn't aware they made a smaller unit. I had the original on my 900 and want to get one for my new voyager. Did you also use hook up directly to the existing horn wiring or use a relay? Thx, Gary
Always better to use a relay. I had the stock horn wires trigger the relay.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The air horns have to be protected from water if you want them to continue to work. I ended up going with a pair of 6 inch electric horns.

Well, it looks like linking photos from photobucket is over. Time to find a new photo hosting site.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I mounted mine to the factory horn mount
Not a great idea. A number of folks have reported damage to the front fender and/or horn when the forks bottomed out. The stock horn is small enough, but the larger aftermarket horns aren't.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I have the streble on a couple of my scoots but it just not all that loud. The mini is too big to mount where the horn is on my Voyager. Plus do not use the existing power that the horn uses. Bring fused power from the battery and a 12 volt relay, and use the existing power to trigger the relay. Never use existing stock horn power to run a compressor type air horn. As the horn gets older and dirty is causes higher amperage draw on the stock wires to a point it can fail.

But if you want a good LOUD single short trumpet air horn get a Howards little big horn. Howard's Horns Home Page, motorcycle air horns, air horns It is very loud with an obnoxious screech. No one has ever not heard my little big horn.

And I mounted on the right engine guard with the compressor in the right lower faring using the wires and relay from the battery. I left the stock horn on, used that wire to trigger the relay. Both horns sound but you do not hear the stock horn as the air horn is so loud. If it ever acts up from crud getting in the horn like all air horns do, it is easy to take apart and clean out. I have been using the same horn for over 18 years now. Only had to clean it twice. Same compressor.

DSCN2125.jpg

·
Registered
381 Posts
I mounted mine to the factory horn mount
I would be extra careful doing that. I had mine mounted on the stock horn bolt and ended up damaging both my fender and horn (and could have caused an accident had the horn fallen off completely) when I was performing a maneuver where my suspension was compressed while the front wheel was angled to the left.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have finally mounted mine...
I've made a very simple small bracket and attached it to the passenger's floorboard mounting bolt.
Here are few pics...

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I have finally mounted mine...
I've made a very simple small bracket and attached it to the passenger's floorboard mounting bolt.

Very clever!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts