Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently come back to riding and perhaps I'm expecting more than I should from the 900. When I get into 5th gear and start to go faster then 70 mph I feel like I should up shift. The gear ratio on the bike seems low to me. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't ride faster than 60-70 anyway, but there are times I want more power than I feel like the bike has.

Am I doing any damage running up to 80-90, because the bike doesn't feel like she wants to go there?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
As long as oil and cooolant are where they should be, you are not damaging this bike. Many have changed sprocket to lower rpm for highway speeds and like the change.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so I got off my lazy butt and read some recent threads about pulleys and seemed to have answered my own question, but that naturally led to another one. I'll look into the Baron front 34 tooth pulley, but I was also considering going to the DS with a General Altimax 195/65/15. Would the larger circumference tire/34 tooth pulley combination affect the speed/torque to a noticeable degree? Does anyone have experience with this setup?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as oil and cooolant are where they should be, you are not damaging this bike. Many have changed sprocket to lower rpm for highway speeds and like the change.
Thanks! I spent most of the morning reading up on pulleys as I'd never really considered any performance mods before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went up a tire size and speedo was corrected. Went to put front pulley on and tire would have been rubbing inner fender. Rear pulley would correct that but then thats 3 mods and prob overkill.
I am happy with the difference the tire made even on hwy so just stuck with that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
340 Posts
Changing 1 pulley usually corrects the speedometer error these bike, as are most bikes, known for.
Does it make a difference which one?
changing the front pulley to "what size" makes the speedo more accurate?

·
Registered
536 Posts
This post makes me glad i went with a 1500. got the gearing i need with the power to back it up. And no valve adjustments

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Every bike has it compromise to deal with...a friend of mine has a 1500 with the dreaded clutch problem so many have. I'm hoping you don't have to deal with that. They are a great bargain priced bike though. The 900's are a little underpowered and you need to do a valve adjust or check every 15,000 or so but over all they are stone reliable.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
well I wouldn't take too much pride in a 1500 having much more than a 900.... as the carbed 1500 has almost the same hp as a 900 and the fi model has about 3 more hp...but both have an overall lower power to weight ratio than a 900...

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
to the OP... hit the rev limiter in 3rd and 4th gears and you will see how these engines can rev... you will discover that you are not reving it as high as you think you are.... in fact you will probably find that it can do that 70-80 mph in 3rd......

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's not devolve into a battle between bikes. I love the 900 Custom, but respect anyone's decision to purchase another bike. Everyone made their choice based on what was important to them.

While I would love the ABILITY to push the vn900 to 120 MPH, it's not a feature I consider a deal-breaker. I was simply inquiring if it was normal and do I harm the bike pushing it into the 80-90 range for short times?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to the OP... hit the rev limiter in 3rd and 4th gears and you will see how these engines can rev... you will discover that you are not reving it as high as you think you are.... in fact you will probably find that it can do that 70-80 mph in 3rd......
It's just the god-awful vibration that makes it so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you are going to the DS, whatever tire you choose, don't do the math alone to figure the circumference, check the manufacturers website to see if the revolution per mile, circumference or diameter are listed. Many times, the math alone will only get you close, most tire makes and models will vary to a degree. This is especially important if you're trying to get your speedo to read as accurately as possible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I rode across South Dakota from Sioux Falls to Rapid City on a 95 degree day staying between 80 - 85 mph. That's about 350 miles and 5 hours. One short stop in the middle for fuel, but my 900 ran like a champ. No negative issues whatsoever.
I will admit, more power and a 6th gear would be nice, but I don't do that type of road trip but once a year. This bike does everything I ask it to on a daily basis.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Absolutely. The engine needs to rev. And while it's true that it performs about the same as the 1500, the 1500 does it at a lower RPM, making it a little smoother on the highway. If you want performance for displacement; then your on the wrong genre of bike; as a 600cc inline-4 sportbike spanks us in every category. Heck, a V2K is something like 20 horsepower shy of a Ninja ZX6R (600cc).

As far as vibrations, gel insoles in your boots and some decent gloves will get rid of most of them. Though I don't find that they bother me. I get bored on the interstate anyway so I tend to take the slower/twistier roads. This bike was not designed as an interstate long distance tourer. No doubt it can do it, but it was geared for an entirely different purpose. It was geared for the twisties, the 55mph roads, etc. Big frame and plenty of weight and stability for LONG trips on the twisty roads, but light enough in the handling and geared right for 60ish mph roads. You can certainly tell when you're in a big group ride and you hit a hill or pull out of a tight corner and hear all of the bikes downshifting; and all you need to do is roll on the throttle.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Rear tire / pulleys / 1500

If research is done properly one would find it is best to change both pulleys, there are several threads on here about that. If the rear is changed you can also run the oversized tire, but an oversized tire does not usually work with just the front pulley for reasons previously stated. If the rear pulley is changed sometimes there isn't enough adj. for the belt. The best of both worlds is to change both pulley's this give the necessary adj. for the belt and will also allow for an oversized tire which will give about 15-16% rpm reduction when used with both pulleys. Look on this forum there is plenty of info here...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I also looked at the 1500 but the 38 mpg quickly changed my mind. We do a lot od long distance riding and the light coming on at 140 mi. is totally out of reason. What some of these mfgs. have in mind for their bikes is beyond me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts