Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 07 Vulcan 900lt and really like it, but even though it has saddle bage I was looking for input on where to carry/stash riding docs besides in saddle, because they are not locking bags. I would hate to come out of the mall etc... and documents (Title, Inspection, and Insurance) gone. Input please. I have looked under the seat but tool kit has that compartment completely covered.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You ride around WITH your title? :eek: Probably not a good idea. And, you don't need to . . . your registration is enough proof of ownership. That's why they issue it!

If you're uncomfortable leaving those documents in your saddlebag (which is where I leave mine), why not carry them in your wallet? You always have that when you're riding, right?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Bought a 07 Vulcan 900lt and really like it, but even though it has saddle bage I was looking for input on where to carry/stash riding docs besides in saddle, because they are not locking bags. I would hate to come out of the mall etc... and documents (Title, Inspection, and Insurance) gone. Input please. I have looked under the seat but tool kit has that compartment completely covered.
I was wondering this also. On my pervious bike I carried a backpack every where, but most places frown when you walk in with a backpack. I would not be able to wear one with my seat anyway. Locking bags are on my wish list, but it will be a year or two before I can afford them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Proof of registration is what I meant. Title stay in safe at home. I installed the locking bags on my last bike, but am not thinking on them for this one. (YET). I have decided to keep the insurance in my wallet, but in Texas the inspection doesn't go on the bike anymore. It is a document that is letter sized. Don't know about anyone else but I dont care for my wallet to be packed with 3 large docs all folded up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2012 Vulcan Classic 900 LT has little snaps in the saddle bags for pouches. I bought the $13 bag and keep my manual, insurance card and registration in a zip lock baggie in the pouch in the saddle bag.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Proof of registration is what I meant. Title stay in safe at home. I installed the locking bags on my last bike, but am not thinking on them for this one. (YET). I have decided to keep the insurance in my wallet, but in Texas the inspection doesn't go on the bike anymore. It is a document that is letter sized. Don't know about anyone else but I dont care for my wallet to be packed with 3 large docs all folded up.
Just offering suggestions! LOL! I carry a purse, so I have a heck of a lot more than 3 documents folder up. LOL!!

Does your Texas registration have address info on it? I know Ohio gives you a copy with no address to keep in your vehicle. So, it's not really a target of theft . . . nobody can do anything with it. I'm not sure about the inspection document - I don't live in one of those states anymore.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You don't carry the inspection receipt with you. You only need to take it to the tax office to get your tags in case there is an issue with their records when you go to get your tags. Nothing gets carried on the bike accept your license plate and the registration sticker that goes on it. Insurance card goes in my wallet.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I carry my license and insurance in my wallet. In MO they can run your plate to check registration. No reason to carry that here.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I keep registration, Emergency contact info, an extra copy of insurance, and a $20 bill stuffed with my took kit on my Classic.

I keep the same, plus an iPod and toll road transponder in the left side glove box of my Voyager.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Why couldn't you put the registration and insurance card in a plastic baggy and put them in with your tool kit under the seat?

I also put Viking locking saddle bags on mine almost right away after I bought it. $200 for some piece of mind. Even my trunk bags get the zippers paddle locked all the time when out an about. I just don't trust anyone anymore these days. Have a lot of money into riding gear that I would just as soon keep.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You shouldn't need inspection documentation; you should have a sticker somewhere on the bike that indicates it's inspection is current, right? Also, thanks for reminding me, because mine is due! Ha!

Some insurance companies have apps or, if you have an iPhone, will add your insurance card to the "Passbook" app. In a saddlebag in a ziplock bag I carry an insurance card and registration. But on my iPhone I have my insurance card as well and my ID in my wallet; so in theory, I can show the relevant into without getting into the saddlebag. I've never been asked for registration. I'm not even sure it's required in Missouri. I mean they can look it up by running your plates and see that the registration is current, who it's registered to, whether it's stolen, etc. I do keep it in all of my vehicles; but I've never ever been asked for it. Always curious as to whether that's typical or not. They just ask for a drivers license and proof of insurance.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
in Texas the inspection doesn't go on the bike anymore. It is a document that is letter sized. Don't know about anyone else but I dont care for my wallet to be packed with 3 large docs all folded up.
must be a difren kinda texkin..? i jus bought me nuther new skoot an it came complete with insp stiker on a plate. which i promptly discard as i am opposed to wearing and displaying any state n fed badges, tats n other state sponsored insignia..

but none the same, tags are still issued here unless they changed in the las 15 daze? butt I did read that somebody is trying to get the states to quit requiring inspection on cars as they are mostly all good to go cept kalif and ny where the average car is 20yr old oil burn smoker..

you could always roll it up an stick it in a bar end,, or in a plastic tube in the gas tank like peter fonda keeps his stash n money.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Always curious as to whether that's typical or not. They just ask for a drivers license and proof of insurance.
Some states require a driver to have their vehicle registration, and will ask for it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Texas just started a new rule 1st of this month that we no longer need inspection STICKERS, we still have to get it inspected before we can get our annual registration. Stickers and the little aluminum plates that we have been putting them one are going by-by. Mine comes off next month.

Texas officers never ask for registration, just license and insurance. They know who owns it by the plate.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Some states require a driver to have their vehicle registration, and will ask for it.
Right, I know that. What I'm curious about is whether Missouri requires it and I just never met a cop who asked; or Missouri just strangely doesn't require it. Guess I could look into it but, I'm just not that motivated.

Admittedly, it sort of does seem strange to require it these days. They can pull everything up with your license plate; or VIN number for that matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agree DeputyLoud, and yes the registration here has all info on it including mailing, and garaged address on them. I think the ziplock bag under seat with tool kit

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have two suggestions for you #1 Make copies of what you are required to carry in your state, laminate them or use packing tape to weather proof them and staple them to the bottom of your seat. If that won't work for you #2 go by a marina or sporting goods store and by a floating key fob. They are made of rubber so it will not scratch up your paint but they are hollow for holding registration and such.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Marinette Wisc. got stopped by local fuzz for doing 30 in a 25. apparently when you cross the bridge over the Menomminee river from Mich. they are waiting in their po'dunk speed trap. the occifer asked me for my lic. insur. and registration. I handed him the first two and said wtf was that? he seemed perplexed that Texas didnt require you to carry reg.. the two of them, hemmed n hawed for 10-15min. just cause it was erly sun morning and I was their first out of state victim.. they asked me a lot of questions about Texas and my bike (betty) and finally decided not to fck w/me anymore, i was too little a fish.. catch and release..

Suwanee Ga. they put me in the slammer till the judge came back from lunch so he could extract $100 cash for exact same kinda set up. not a fan of the Peach state. poncho

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've carried my registration and insurance card in a Ziploc bag under the seat in the tool box, but have since stopped as enough water gets in there that the papers still got soaked inside the bag.

I've since started keeping them inside one of my jacket pockets, still in a Ziploc bag. They have stayed far drier that way.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts