Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I'm not aware of any aftermarket carbs. They use a Keihin CVK 40mm carb. You could get a Mikuni if it matches up but it's basically the same carb. I know there are guys who have put 42 MM carbs on, but those are on bikes that have had cylinder bores and modified top ends.

What are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carb 97 1500 Vulcan

I took my carb to the local Kaw shop and they indicated that is scrap. They also said a new carb costs $750.00 so I'm looking for other ways to get a carb for my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Do a search on e-bay or craigs list. Any single carb thru 2004, model will work. The 99' models & up will have a TPS connector, but just ignore it as your bike uses a vacuum advance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had to purchase another carb for my 99. I broke it trying to remove the float pin. One of the stanchions that the pin went through broke off as I was trying to remove the pin. I found one at a salvage yard for $300. That was not a happy day.

That does make me wonder how you remove that pin. I recently cleaned my second carb and saw that the pin was very tight in that one as well. I didn't force it since I was afraid to break another one. I've serviced a lot of carbs and have never seen one with the float pin pressed in. They all just slide right out. I'm sure some you guys have done this. What's the secret to removing that pin?

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I'd check with a motorcycle recycler. We have one here and it was a lifesaver when I had my 81 KZ 750.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do question the notion that the carb is not repairable. Unless the body of the carb is broken, I believe you can get replacement parts for every other component in it. Now if the replacement parts cost more then a good used one you may want to go that route. I ended up purchasing mine from a salvage yard in the little town of Sumpter, SC. I happened to be near them at the time. They had a ton of parts already removed and stored in a warehouse. They deliver to you. Here is their link if you're interested. Good luck in your repair. http://www.midscyclesalvage.com/

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I do question the notion that the carb is not repairable. Unless the body of the carb is broken, I believe you can get replacement parts for every other component in it.

That's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. I will go back to the Kaw shop next week and retrieve the carb. Ill get a picture of the suspect un repairable unit and report back. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts