Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am home from work for a few days cause of xmas in manhattan nyc and I get the urge to ride , it's 35 or so with wind chills to the 20's and i decide to take the bike out for a spin with gusts of 40-50 mph. I'm on the road, the only bike I might add for the 3 hours i was out riding, and i'm pushed from lane to lane by the wind gusts, luckily no other traffic next to me. so instead of heading home i decide to get off the highway and take the streets because i'm dressed warm except for my finger tips which were freezing and i had glove liners under my gloves. people stared at me like i was nuts wife and kids said "do what you want", i guess they are used to it and the doorman of my building told me i was crazy it was too windy. I made it safe and sound and i did it again the next day. I guess when you want to ride you want to ride. I honestly don't think i will store it away this winter unless it snows and that only means storing for about two weeks until it melts, but i have to find better gloves for my finger tps:rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice jog d.. I'm in upper PA and we still have a few bikes out and about.. If I'm in the cage they get a double thumbs up.. It's really not much different then going across a field doing 70 on a sled.. Dress for it and ride.. If we don't get our snow, i'll be out tomorrow..

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I feel your pain if not your temperature! When the urge hits, you just gotta ride!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I could have written dwhit's post. I did the exact same thing yesterday. While everyone was hustling and bustling to get last minute holiday tasks accomplished, I was cruising threw the rural lands in southwestern Pa, so relaxing but cool on the fingertips. Haven't checked yet, maybe Santa brought me some new gloves!

Merry Christmas all...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There are several year-'round riders up here where I live. They all ride trikes, and it's weird to see one of them out, riding on the snow and in cold weather. More power to them for doing it. I guess if I had a trike, I might equip it with studded tires and ride in the winter too when conditions permitted.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know how you guys feel I ride unless theres snow or ice on the road ordered a pair of heated gloves from gabber hope they work just wont get them untill the 26th so I have to ride today with cold fingers. But I get to ride for a little while be safe.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Only the Ice and snow Stops me from Riding, it was 28 with out the chill factor I still went out, just dress for it and have a blast!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wife and I did our last minute Christmas shopping on the bike. Same thing, we just had to ride!

Got a lot of funny looks. Some people didn't understand why people were shopping in odd looking winter clothes (motorcycle gear), they looked really odd when we loaded gifts into a tour pak, and got a lot of double-takes as people huddled up to their coffee with the heat blasting in their cars as we rode by them.

Only problem was I'm so used to using my highway pegs, but I couldn't. Too cold to be sticking my legs out like that!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you know had the urge again today after work, got home around 6 pm but this time there is an inch of snow on the ground, i'm thinking why not, it's only snow, it's not ice , tomorrow it will turn to ice. but than i thought better and decided not to try it. hot chocolate and a movie for me, guess i'll have to wait a few days for it to clear

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to ride down to about 35*, but anymore I generally don't ride below 55* or so, I know, I'm a pansy.

I rode through TN from Chatanooga to London, KY in 20* weather. I wasn't planning on those temps, so I wasn't really prepared. That did in my cold riding ability, what little I had anyway :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm one of a few year round riders here in Cheyenne. Same as most as long as there is no snow or ice I'm riding. Only issue I'm having is we have had a lot of snow and the temp isn't rising out of the 30's and the snow is sticking around.

Currently looking into buying a Ural for the winter and grocery runs, so the snow and ice won't be an issue anymore.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Rescue Wagon, I have a friend with a 2 WD Ural. The thing's a bear in the snow but it took him a little while to get used to 3 wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm one of a few year round riders here in Cheyenne. Same as most as long as there is no snow or ice I'm riding. Only issue I'm having is we have had a lot of snow and the temp isn't rising out of the 30's and the snow is sticking around.

Currently looking into buying a Ural for the winter and grocery runs, so the snow and ice won't be an issue anymore.
I road on Christmas eve in Casper. Put on a backpack and delivered presents. I have ridden down to 12 degrees, that was cold. Wind I am used to. It doesn't look good for the next couple days though. to much snow and ice to be safe. Plus the sand trucks are going crazy, we have had no snow till Christmas eve night. So I think they want some overtime and are replowing the same wet roads.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I road on Christmas eve in Casper. Put on a backpack and delivered presents. I have ridden down to 12 degrees, that was cold. Wind I am used to. It doesn't look good for the next couple days though. to much snow and ice to be safe. Plus the sand trucks are going crazy, we have had no snow till Christmas eve night. So I think they want some overtime and are replowing the same wet roads.
The sand trucks down here just seem to be taking laps around the city like a pace lap in NASCAR. I keep hoping it gets a little warmer since the 1.5 miles of dirt roads I have to ride to get to pavement are still completely covered in snow and ice and the main roads are clear.

·
Registered
166 Posts
we are lucky here in downunder - the whole year riding time !!!!

BTW - there was this guy who went for a quick squirt on his bike to get some milk from the convenience store around the corner ........

He came back after one week !!!!

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts