Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting involved in restoring classic bikes from the past. 60's or 70's. British or American but less so on the Japanese bike.

Where should I start?

Finding local people that do?

Learning what makes a classic bike?

Learning the price points for a project bike?

Finding outside resources?

What did I miss?

My first question is how to determine what is a true classic vs just what I think?

Idea's.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
WAY outside my area of expertise (do i even have an area of expertise?). But i found a link to someone that may be able to steer you down the right path... Evan Fell Motorcycle Works.

Best of luck, and i hope it works out for you flw.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I'm interested in getting involved in restoring classic bikes from the past. 60's or 70's. British or American but less so on the Japanese bike.

Where should I start?
What turns you on? An old hog or a Bonny? Have you ever owned a kick start motorcycle?

Finding local people that do?
Tons of sites once you decide what you want to tackle. That is where most of the enthusiasts hang and where you might be able to hook up with someone local.

A simple definition is a bike that is not made anymore. Rarity does not mean desirablity. Say for instance, that you decide to restore a Moto Guzzi I Convert. Even though it is much rarer and unique than a than a '70's Harley shovel, there is little interest in them outside a very small circle. If you decide to sell it, you will never get half of your investment back. Which you probably won't anyway.

Learning the price points for a project bike?
Depends how far you want to go. If you buy a basket case, you could end up spending more money than buying a concours original. Do you do your own machining, painting and wrenching? Be prepared to spend much more than you bargained for. This is where people get in over their heads. $$$$$$$ Also, it is not usually the engine, frame, wheels that are the problem, it is all the little parts which have been worn out or taken off over the years that are hard to find, so finding a bike that is more complete makes for an easier and cheaper restoration.
You might find also just buying an old bike that needs a few cosmetics and maintaining it is as far as you want to go. They required much more hands on than the new one's.

Finding outside resources?
Online. Walneck's.

What did I miss?
Are you going to make this a profession? Then you need a business plan. It might make a good tax shelter. For most it is a hobby.

My first question is how to determine what is a true classic vs just what I think?
It is in eyes of the beholder.
Idea's.
I've actually been looking for one those Kaw Indian Drifters with a blown engine or tranny with good cosmetics.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

I would venture a guess that what a 'classic' is would be a matter of personal preference as well as the other factors you mentioned.

A guy I work with has a side business of restoring 'vintage' motorcycles. Currently he is restoring a 1974 Husquvarna CR400. He also likes older British, Italian & Spanish off-road bikes.

To paraphrase a saying "What would be considered a 'classic' would be in the eye of the money-holder."

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some bikes are instant classics and others become classics over time. Some never will be truely classics but simple old bikes. Age is only 1 factor in what makes a classic bike.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
i dont know why but "35 years old" sticks in my head, i could be wrong , could have something to do with a 36 year old wife and trading her in for 2 eighteen year olds.

·
Banned
161 Posts
i dont know why but "35 years old" sticks in my head, i could be wrong , could have something to do with a 36 year old wife and trading her in for 2 eighteen year olds.
I thought it was when a bikes' meassurements where 36x24x36 :eek:

Seriously the term, "classic" is thrown around too easily. I would think a real classic bike would have to have some history behind it, like the old, "Hardtail Harley". Most classic bikes sold today are not really classic they are built to look somewhat like the old classics. For example, The frame Kaw 900 was built to look like a real hardtail. Like with cars, few bikes will ever really reach the status of being a real classic, most just become rusty and old.

Thats my opinion I welcome yours.:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
There are lots of early 70s japanese classics. Kawasaki Z-1s are bringing big money all the kaw 3 cylinder 2 strokers, the 69-70 750 Hondas the 72 xs 650 yamaha the 72-76 Suzuki water buffalos and 500s etc...clean 70s dirt bikes bring good money...take your pick lots of cool old stuff out there. Lots of clubs and forums on line for these bikes. Aint just HDs and Brit stuff anymore!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts