Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first week on an vulcan 800. when I get even a little agressive dropping the clutch and hitting the gas, only into 1st, it sounds like the kick stand bounces from its resting place, and hits the crankcase. thats the best way to describe the sound..., but because this isnt happening, it must be something inside the clutch mechanism / crankcase. weird sound. ive rode many different bikes, and never heard this. any idea??

~nrgh..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17,500. dont know the history of the bike, but it looks clean. just replaced the oil with mobil1 synth motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no. it happens as the gear finishes engaging, almost like its supposed to happen. by the responses im getting, its not. It seems not to affect anything at all, except its a little wierd. think of the sound as a 9 iron tapping the side of the crankcase AS the gear engages. metal on metal. tink.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well.....the belt broke tonight. perpendicular break. after the belt was off, I got upside down and when in gear noticed the front sprocket has some play. think that tink sound may have been that? dunno. what I do know is that I am now going to trailer it to the shop tomorrow, and they will tell me everything about it. Hope I didnt buy a lemon :-(

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
well.....the belt broke tonight. perpendicular break. after the belt was off, I got upside down and when in gear noticed the front sprocket has some play. think that tink sound may have been that? dunno. what I do know is that I am now going to trailer it to the shop tomorrow, and they will tell me everything about it. Hope I didnt buy a lemon :-(
Belt? It has a belt conversion?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess so! I just found that out. its a great upgrade, and I think im really glad it has it - now, to get this thing into the shop so a pro can determine all that. guess I now need to learn the best way to trailer these things. im going to go get actual motorcycle straps, not just my regular ones, and look into getting a wheel chock....wish me luck!!

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I always wondered if the output shaft/bearing could withstand the "different" loads that a belt would impose on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts