Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So question for the masses. This was the first year I had my bike and stored it for the winter. I live in Wisconsin. For those of you in the snowier states, when do you take your bike out of storage for the winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I'm from WI but been in MN since 2000. When I was 20, the bike was never in storage. Today I resist the unseasonable early 50°'s because I just don't enjoy getting the bike ready and put the battery in for a day then it sits again for a month but I do hear the bikes on the roads near my house and it makes me rethink this strategy all over again. :grin2: They use so much salt on the roads here and there are literally piles of the stuff in places as well as lots of sand, so I pretty much wait for the spring rains and street sweepers to get rid of that. My son bought a new Yammy FJR last year early spring and I cautioned him to be on the lookout for sand on the ride home from the dealership. He brazenly told me there is no sand out here Dad. He turned left out of the dealers lot, was in sand and down he went. Broken collarbone. YMMV

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Storage?????? What's that????

·
Registered
251 Posts
Usually get the Nomad out in late March to early April. Since it is stored at my brother in laws acerageI have two miles of gravel to ride. I have to wait until that road firms up. I also have a CanAm Spyder. That comes out sooner, because I don't have to worry about sand in the corners. Plus it is fully faired so I stay warm.

·
Registered
553 Posts
We are still Skiing here (Tip of the Mit Michigan) I did get a day in February, we had 60 degrees.

Generally I get out some where between the last week in March to the second week in April. I usually don't worry about sand or salt. We get enough spring rain to wash the salt away. Sand is a constant problem so we just watch for it.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Right about now

I just took my ride out for the first for this season this morning. I live in northwestern Montana, up close to glacier National Park. It was in the low 50's today and not much wind, so a very nice day for a short ride. Saw a few other riders out today also. I'm about a month earlier than I was last year, hope it continues with the nice spring weather, but not counting on it, not this far north.

·
2,854 Posts
Come up to Michigan in the summer. Best ride, Circle Tour of Lake Superior.:wink2:
Lived in Kalamazoo for 8 years. I do remember the summers and miss them too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Storage for me consists of a little corner of the garage and my rule of thumb for getting ready is April 1st. Like most Wisconsinites, that rule is broken in early March when we have a 60 degree day. Then, it sits again. Went for a little ride today (52 degrees, light unexpected drizzle) and nearly slid out in a sandy corner. Luckily I hit clean asphalt just as my board started scraping, throwing me into an upright position again. Early season riding fun at its best.

·
Registered
553 Posts
We are still Skiing here (Tip of the Mit Michigan) I did get a day in February, we had 60 degrees.

Generally I get out some where between the last week in March to the second week in April. I usually don't worry about sand or salt. We get enough spring rain to wash the salt away. Sand is a constant problem so we just watch for it.

Ride Safe
I think it is fair to say I took it out yesterday I skied in the morning. Then took the bike off the maintenance charger, changed the oil, filter, and took a ride around Lake Charlevoix. Blue Sky and up to 60 degrees. Wahoooo! :grin2:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Storage for me consists of a little corner of the garage and my rule of thumb for getting ready is April 1st. Like most Wisconsinites, that rule is broken in early March when we have a 60 degree day. Then, it sits again. Went for a little ride today (52 degrees, light unexpected drizzle) and nearly slid out in a sandy corner. Luckily I hit clean asphalt just as my board started scraping, throwing me into an upright position again. Early season riding fun at its best.
HI,

It is much the same here in Michigan.
Did you get your name, One Eyed Jack, from the Marlon Brando Move of the same name?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I am in Nova Scotia and mine is coming out of storage this coming Sunday. We have a lot of snow still piled up and another 10cm over night tonight but heavy rain Thursday through Saturday. Sunday the temps are supposed to be 12c and next week pretty well 12 to 15c all week so a few rides will be in the plans for a couple afternoons.

·
2,854 Posts
Today 86 degrees and clear skies.:grin2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
April after snow is pretty much over

·
Registered
119 Posts
I store mine in June and July when its too hot to ride.
Yeah, my best riding is in the spring and fall, hate the heat. Things you can do to get warmer, but hot days with bugs just makes the riding less enjoyable.
In the winter I have both my bikes on battery tenders, and I get them out whenever the roads clear.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Most bikers store theirs during the winter rainy season here, but I ride year around so my bike is not stored. Best time is not during summer when we are inundated with tourists and lots of bugs, but I also try to avoid riding in rain and fog, no matter what time of year it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't put mine up ever. I have heated Coat, Gloves and seat so I ride year round. I belong to BACA> (Bikers Against Child Abuse) so when we go to help kids we ride

1 - 20 of 28 Posts