Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have replaced my stock exhaust and can see a lot more of the rear tire I am thinking more shiny bits are needed back there (not whorish like Smedlin :D).

Anyone polished their wheels and pulley themselves? I dont want to have to go to all the trouble or expense of having them chromed or buying all new ones. Just want to see how the process is done to get the alloy to a mirror finish. I have searched the forums and net and have found a couple of different ways to do it but just want some input from my v2k brothers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
not sure if all pulleys were made equal, but mine would not polish out to a "mirror finish". Mine is cast, and cast will polish out nicely, but if you look closely, you can see the inconsistencies that are inherent with cast parts. I'll try to post a pic and show you what I'm talking about. I decided to leave my wheels alone after finishing the pulley.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Now that I have replaced my stock exhaust and can see a lot more of the rear tire I am thinking more shiny bits are needed back there (not whorish like Smedlin :D).

Anyone polished their wheels and pulley themselves? I dont want to have to go to all the trouble or expense of having them chromed or buying all new ones. Just want to see how the process is done to get the alloy to a mirror finish. I have searched the forums and net and have found a couple of different ways to do it but just want some input from my v2k brothers.
Speaking of Smedlin, didn't he polish, or get his wheels polished on his V2K? Maybe he got them chromed. I can't remember and I know is they are shiny now. LOL

·
Registered
445 Posts
Rear pulley can be polished but only to a certain point. If you pass it you get to the cast light grey finish underneath it. I know. I screwed mine and had to go to the black powdercoat finished look . Happy though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine looked like it was anodized. I wonder what it would have looked like Had I only removed the paint. I started with sandpaper and by the time I realized what I was dealing with, I had already removed some of the anodized coating and had to take it all off. You might look at aircraft remover to see if it would remove the paint without hurting the metal beneath, that is if you still want to try it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the front and rear wheel is on the top of my list.

·
Registered
953 Posts
you can get the front and rear rim chromed on the exchange for about 650-750 with return shipping. Just slap the chrome ones on and send back the stockers. Benefit of chrome is no need to maintain the polish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bigsarge,

What about the bearings? Does the exchange come with the bearings? Also do they chrome the hub?
Thanks...

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
i reused old bearing and yes they usually come with the hub. Mine didnt have one. But i think smedlins did
correct, mine came with a hub, so i sent the entire wheel thingy back to him.

The price on his web site is for chromed wheels AND hub. I only did the wheels, not like you can really see the hub.

(I wish I had done the chromed hub also though. Once I switched to freedom pipes, the hub became more visible)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have my wheels polished, pulleys, and about everything else i could. Its not hard if you have a commercial polisher . You can count on 4-5 hours a month repolishing everything. As far as the belt pulley is concerned it polished up about as good as the wheels, but its pain in the a$$ to keep shiny. In my opinion unless you have alot of time on your hands do the chrome exchange. By the time i purchased all the junk i have to keep this thing shiny i could have chromed everything twice..At the end of the day its alot of work, cuts into my riding time, and i spend a fortune on polishing stuff. Bulldozer

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can get the front and rear rim chromed on the exchange for about 650-750 with return shipping. Just slap the chrome ones on and send back the stockers. Benefit of chrome is no need to maintain the polish.
Sarge...what company did you use to do the exchange?

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Start with probably 400 wet/dry sandpaper, progressively sand through 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 then 2000. Then use a metal polish and a polishing wheel on a drill or other device.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts