Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 V2K which I bought in July with 7000 miles on it. I have put about 2000 miles on it since then. I'm getting ready to change the rear tire and wondered what I need to look for in the wheel bearings. I have heard they can go out.

I get a little noise at slow speeds when stopping at a light, but figured it was mostly a break dragging.

Are the bearings something I should just replace with 9000 miles on it. I have about 4000 miles planned for next spring and summer with some long rides in there and want to get stuff squared away before winter hits so it's ready to go next April.

Thanks for the input,

nate

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
If there is a question in your mind then go ahead and change them if for no other reason than to satisfy yourself they are good. May not need to be changed but it would be better to have new ones than to need new ones in the middle of a ride.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It probably would not do any harm to have them checked out anyway, mainly because bike manufacturers are notoriuosly tight when it comes to packing these items with grease. If they are alright get them re-packed with a quality grease and look forward to many miles of enjoyment. Mine is due for a set of tyres soon as well as a 12000 klms service and I will be getting mine checked.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
Registered
864 Posts
Cheapest insurance you can get, the cost of new bearings and seals while the bike is apart nothing compared to the hassle of a breakdown.... Bulldozer, just cause its the easier way !

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would also check your drive belt. At low speed if the belt is slightly out of alignment you will hear and feel kind of a groan as you come to a stop. Make sure your belt is aligned (center of the rear pully). Its an easy fix b4 investing in bearings. There are also alot of posts on belt tightness. A too tight rubbing drivebelt is very difficuly to distinguish from a bad bearing.

My $0.02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts