Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it!

I kept searching and it looks like there are 2 wheel bearings, 6304's, and 2 bearings back to back in the drive hub, 6206's. Those drive hub bearings are 30mm bore and 62mm OD. Them's sum serious bearings! Looks like that drive belt puts a HUGE load on that hub. Considering that Busas and ZX-14's get away with one 25mm ID hub bearing, It's not the engine that's stressing that hub, it's the belt.

This is my first belt-drive bike. I almost instinctively dislike the belt drive, with its monstrous bulk and its up-tight, squeaky personality. But it's lighter and more efficient, right? I'm really doubting the lighter claim. The pulleys on my bike are huge and very heavy, and the rear is unsprung weight. I'll verify the weight savings over a chain before I chuck them.

The efficiency claim? Hmmm... All that stress has to be taken by something. Massive bearings in a massive hub that you cart around with you everywhere you go. And those giant plastic guards? Yuk! Bottom line is if they were all that, everyone would be racing them.

Anyway, if you need new bearings, just buy them at a bearing shop. You'll get better quality at a better price. These are the sizes you'll need.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
dooms, not everything in life is about racing. some of this over the top Hevy duty stuff is about long term reliability. the v2k is not a race bike. It's more a tractor on 2 wheels. poncho

Thar Kevlar belt can't take the direct stress that you can dump on a chain. butt it will last 100k+miles if not abused and requires little maintenance and does not shitt oil on the rim. some are even silent, but is a decent compromise from a chain vs shaft on a cruise / tour bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts