Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it as simple as just pressing out the bearings on a press? Or is there a trick to these. Getting ready to remove them to have my wheels stripped and polished and just wanting to make sure I don't damage my wheels

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Is it as simple as just pressing out the bearings on a press? Or is there a trick to these. Getting ready to remove them to have my wheels stripped and polished and just wanting to make sure I don't damage my wheels
You don't press wheel bearings out on a motorcycle wheel. You will need a "blind bearing puller" that will grip the inner race, and then using the slide hammer attached, remove the bearing from the wheel. The bearing cannot be reused after that. Use a press to install the new bearings. Or find a socket that's the same OD as the outer race then put the bearings in the freezer for a few hours before tapping them into the wheel. Don't forget the spacer that keeps the inner races from being pushed together.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up beating them out with a chisel and hammer... lol no damage to the wheel, collars, spacer, or bearings. I felt like a caveman doing it, but it worked and they came out fairly well. NEW bearings will be going in them when I get the rims back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts