Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 2001 Vulcan Classic that, I've only been on the highway just a couple times. It seems as if I'm in fifth gear by the time I reach 60-65 but any more than that, it just seems like I'm over revving it. Kinda like there should have been another gear...
Is this normal, am I okay riding at 70 without worrying something is going to break? I want to ride it on a couple hundred mile trip but I just don't know if I would be okay.
I'm new to the Bike ownership and new to riding, so I was just wanting others who own this type bike, their input. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
These bikes will run all day long at an indicated 80-85, I've done it. With stock sprockets, it'll hit the rev limiter in 3rd at about 85-90 mph. I had a 17 front 39 rear and once had an indicated 107mph and it was still climbing when I started catching up to traffic. I heard the rev limiter kicks in at 8750rpm. These motors do rev a lot and they like being revved, but they'll also putt around town in 4th at 30-35 with no problem. The 18 front 40 rear sprockets are a popular upgrade.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought the same thing when I bought my vn800 b. Revs way too high o the freeway with the stock 17f/42r sprockets. I just did a 19t front sprocket for under $30 if I recall correctly. Best thing I've done to. adding a 19t front is almost Identical to doing an 18f/40r but its cheaper and easier. I have a post regarding the sprocket brand/part number in the 800 section if you're interested. Used the stock length chain too. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 800 classic has a Stage 1 carb kit and Vance and Hynes straight shot pipes. No gear or other changes and I will admit to having my bike even with that memphis shades windshield up to 80 - 85mph. The bike has more power then that but that is fast enough for me. The bike does scream at that speed and I sure would like to see another gear.

With that said, I didn't buy my Vulcan 800 to ride like that... I just wanted to get a feeling for what she could do if I needed to get on her and she proved she can do it. If I took the windshield off she would do better.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Mine normally never sees more than 65-70, but it can easily do more. At the time I did 107 on the speedo, I had debaffled stock pipes and grampsized air filter. Was also pretty lean. Was lean through mid range and top end. Have since made custom 2-1 exhaust and richened the mixture, this made a decent improvement to highway roll on power.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stock 1999 Classic. 100 mph according to my satnav and there was some throttle left....

Oh yea... forgot to mention. The engine is a high revving type. Treat it like a dirty hore and she will be fine...lol...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the same thing when I bought my vn800 b. Revs way too high o the freeway with the stock 17f/42r sprockets. I just did a 19t front sprocket for under $30 if I recall correctly. Best thing I've done to. adding a 19t front is almost Identical to doing an 18f/40r but its cheaper and easier. I have a post regarding the sprocket brand/part number in the 800 section if you're interested. Used the stock length chain too. I highly recommend it.
What exactly does that do? increase on the bottom or top end? Not sure I understand. Thanks

·
Registered
Kawasaki VN800A (1995). Yamaha Raider (2008). Yamaha FZ1 (2006).
226 Posts
Not a speed fan. My normal cruising speed is around 65 mph. I have the bike from 11 years and only one time I have tried the bike at WOT (wide open throttle) and hit exactly 105 mph. GPS reading !
As final drive, I run 18/46 and bike is a VN800A from 1995, with Silver Tail pipes and air filter & carb are stock.

Marcel

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I run a 18/40, stage 1 carb kit, with Cobra slash cuts. +100 is an easy reach. Ride safe...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was that kilometres? (lol)
I've had mine over a 100 mph, pushing 105, but that claim of 125 is the highest I've ever seen for an 800. (g)
The speedo s on these bike are off and if you have different sprockets and different sized tire that throws it off more. I didn't use gps so I am not claiming it does 125 mph. I said the speedo showed that lol.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sprockets wont chsnge the speedo on the 800s, however tires can. Ataller rear tire will bring it closer to accerate, short tire will throw it off more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
That is correct. The speedometer calculates speed from tire rotation. Same size tire will rotate the same revolutions regardless off engine rpm. The different sprockets change the rpms only. On the 900, because speedo reads from trans, gears will change speedo reading, but not the 800.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is correct. The speedometer calculates speed from tire rotation. Same size tire will rotate the same revolutions regardless off engine rpm. The different sprockets change the rpms only. On the 900, because speedo reads from trans, gears will change speedo reading, but not the 800.
Cool. That is good to know

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 99 VN800B Classic. has stock 17/42 gears.
ride to work and have two different routes, each about 50 miles one way.
one route is 45MPH for a while then a long stretch at 70 and back to 45-50.
the other route is 80-85MPH most of the way.
yes, engine revs high. yes, seams like it should have a sixth gear.
But, no, i have no worries with sustained 85MPH with the bike.

I have seen the speedo at 100 or 105, think there was a touch more, but not much, and that wasn't hitting the rev limiter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have to add my input here. I've owned my healthy and beloved vn800 since 2007. I bought it with 13,500 miles and it now has 47,000. I bought it as an upgrade to the en500. Being that I gained experience with different bikes since, I've come to realize that this bike is a slow as a snail cruiser. Sure it's great for street riding, but is sluggish and slow on the highway. I over rev the engine each time I need to switch lanes. If a car is about 30 feet behind me, I have to wait for that driver to pass before I switch lanes. Otherwise, I would risk cutting him off. The speedo reads higher in mileage than what i'm actually cruising at. Just monitor a gps. My 800 is 13 miles slower than what is actually displayed. I have reached over a 100 on my inaccurate speedo, but the engine was screaming for its life to the point where valves were about to blow. Now, I'm not saying that this bike was built with racing in mind, but it performs poorly on highway, regardless of any modification. I have vance and hines straight shots, grampsized air filter, and reduced sprocket teeth in the rear. I STILL can't catch up to my friend's 600 shadow. Just recently, I took a ride with my girlfriend around suburban roads. The bike was so slow going up minor hills that I couldn't even reach speed limit! Man, I'm sure the cars behind me were hating me. This is my advice, if you want to stay street legal and patiently let other cars pass before turning lanes while your rpms are screaming like crazy, then keep the Vulcan. If you want to take advantage of some power when you need it, then get another bike. That's what I just did. I would even recommend the vn1500 over this Fred Flintstone speed bike. My vn800 will now be my rain bike. It's too bad that when Kawasaki was imitating Harley's look, they couldn't imitate the engine with it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have to add my input here. I've owned my healthy and beloved vn800 since 2007. I bought it with 13,500miles and it now has 47. I bought it as an upgrade to the en500. Being that I gained experience with different bikes since, I've come to realize that this bike is a slow as a snail cruiser. Sure it's great for street riding, but is sluggish and slow on the highway. I over rev the engine each time I need to switch lanes. If a car is about 30 feet behind me, I have to wait for that driver to pass before I switch lanes. Otherwise, I would risk cutting him off. The speedo reads higher in mileage than what your actually cruising at. Just monitor a gps. My 800 is 13 miles slower than what is actually displayed. I have reached over a 100 on my inaccurate speedo, but the engine was screaming for its life to the point where valves were about to blow. Now, I'm not saying that this bike was built with racing in mind, but it performs poorly on highway, regardless of any modification. I have vance and hines straight shots, grampsized air filter, and reduced sprocket teeth in the rear. I STILL can't catch up to my friend's 600 shadow. Just recently, I took a ride with my girlfriend around suburban roads. The bike was so slow going up minor hills that I couldn't even reach speed limit! Man, I'm sure the cars behind me were hating me. This is my advice, if you want to stay street legal and patiently let other cars pass before turning lanes while your rpms are screaming like crazy, then keep the Vulcan. If you want to take advantage of some power when you need it, then get another bike. That's what I just did. I would even recommend the vn1500 over this Fred Flintstone speed bike. My vn800 will now be my rain bike. It's too bad that when Kawasaki was imitating Harley's look, they couldn't imitate the engine with it.
your 800 is seriously ill. I would pick an 800 vulcan over an 883 sportster any day.
I have owned three, and ridden with dozens of others in owners clubs.
The 800 will keep up with any group travelling up to 100 mph.
it does rev high, its made that way, its japanese. max revs is over 8000.

with grampsize and exhaust mods, you should be pulling over 50 horses, nearer to 60. I suspect your carb is in need of serious overhaul.

·
Registered
134 Posts
your 800 is seriously ill. I would pick an 800 vulcan over an 883 sportster any day.
I have owned three, and ridden with dozens of others in owners clubs.
The 800 will keep up with any group travelling up to 100 mph.
it does rev high, its made that way, its japanese. max revs is over 8000.

with grampsize and exhaust mods, you should be pulling over 50 horses, nearer to 60. I suspect your carb is in need of serious overhaul.
The carb is clean and has been rejetted. No rust in the tank. Nothing indicates issues with the engine. I also have a windshield, so that adds resistance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts