Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts what's going on with this website that causes my browser (IE10) to lock up fairly often, so that I have to close the tab and reopen it to continue?

This doesn't seem to happen much, if ever, on any other forum sites I frequent except this one. :confused:

I've done all the standard stuff...cleared cookies, reset IE configurations/settings, run CCleaner, run scans with Malwarebytes and others, etc.... always clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Same here. Doesn't matter if I'm at home or at work, the website will freeze and I have to start over. For sometime I thought it was just my pc. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Look! For whatever reason you need IE, fine. Just simply download google chrome and use it just when browsing this site. You'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Look! For whatever reason you need IE, fine. Just simply download google chrome and use it just when browsing this site. You'll be glad you did!
I still prefer Firefox mostly out of familiarity at this point, but I like Chrome too.

Either way, in all honestly IE really kind of sucks...it's failed to perform on par with its competition for many years and yet every copy of Windows has IE shackled to it (including Windows Phone). I'm no IT guy so I can only guess with stuff like workstations in an office setting, but I know that many network configurations require IE as the browser to function properly.

Of course, IE itself rarely functions properly which would lead THIS cynical @$$ to believe that the whole setup, therefore, is not functioning properly lol.

Like Daboo said, if you gotta use it because of work or whatever, fine (but really, should you be WORKING at your workstation :D) but get Chrome or Firefox at home.

Actually, at this point, I'd recommend Chrome because I've been having a lot of trouble Flash Player crashing on Firefox. But this site works just fine on it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've used all those and prefer IE so going to the others isn't going to happen. I prefer IE because it works more universally without finding addins/plugin, etc. and is normally just as fast or faster.

Besides, it's not IE per se because IE works fine elsewhere...it's something with this site. I've had probably the most frustrations with Chrome. It sometimes takes forever (in our modern expectations of computer performance) to load up and even get to Google homepage. Never had that problem with IE.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I too have had the same issues, especially if I've got too many tabs open at once. I also suspect the ads being the issue, sounds like $40 would take care of the problem.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are only three add-ons enabled according to the add-on manager.

Shockwave, Adobe PDF, and Java.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I googled, "IE freezes up on forum" and ran across many steps/suggestions to remedy the issue. So short of copying and pasting all that and not knowing what you may have already tried, you can repeat the search and see if there is any help for you. I suspect something is conflicting with your browser as it did not happen with my copy of IE.

One more thought, have you allowed any external tool bars to be installed?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I have also been having issues with freeze-ups in about the last month (Not 100% sure of the time frame) but it has been happening more frequently recently. I use IE 8 and have the same add-ons enabled as whoaru99. Just wanted to add my 2 cents in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm on a Mac using Safari and have never had it lock up.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Just as a test, try this and let me know if it helps at all.

Close all browser windows,
Click the Start button and type in the search box,
internet explorer
Click on No Add-ons suggestion,
Or it's also located at Start button/ All Programs/ Accessories folder/ System tools folder/ No Add-ons.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks, but not particularly relevant to a PC running IE.
It's only relevant in a process of illumination in trying to determine if it's the forum site or a browser issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 to this. I've had nothing but problems with IE. Chrome is my favorite.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just as a test, try this and let me know if it helps at all.

Close all browser windows,
Click the Start button and type in the search box,
internet explorer
Click on No Add-ons suggestion,
Or it's also located at Start button/ All Programs/ Accessories folder/ System tools folder/ No Add-ons.
I'll run this way for a while and let you know if it seems to make any difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's only relevant in a process of illumination in trying to determine if it's the forum site or a browser issue.
I had to laugh at this. mainly because of the word illumination.

I don't like telling people I work in IT support because I then end up with too many questions and "friends" all of a sudden.

But back on topic. While at a friend's house who only uses IE the site would lock up frequently. I have used Firefox since v0.x and at this point it contains numerous add-ons that I use at work and at home.

In a way you can blame the browser company because they never tell anyone before releasing the latest version that has coding changes that screw up even internal systems. I've dealt with this many times. There's a system at work that technically only supports Java 6u32. However Firefox and even IE love to disable at random times older versions of Java.

I have not used Safari (I do have a Mac on my desk that I use, I just won't pay the premium Apple charges that I can get for half the price) so I cannot attest to it working or not. Chrome does work as well. However I choose not to use chrome for its many processes and memory usage

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Just to let you know that I was all over this forum the last 2 nites and did not lock up once using IE 8. My case is not that bad. If it locks up I just end the IE task and restart IE and I'm good to go. Just wanted to chime in and let all know that I do lock up once in a while on this site. I don't think it is the site that is the problem, but proably my PC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts