Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decide to have lunch at a local watering hole and cool off a bit from working outside,Im sitting at the bar watching the news waiting for my food and two guys wheel in on a couple harleys,I can see them through the window looking at my bike and one of them makes a gesture of like he is going to kick it,as they come in the one guy just blurts out who owns the bike outside and i reply that I do,He procedes to tell me that someone needs to call a scrap truck to pick it up,So i tell him if thats the case then i would probably get more for it than what hes riding,well he got pretty pissed about the comment,So i had to sit their and listen to the BS they were giving me about my ride,and why was I in a bar drinking pop with my food instead of beer,I just keep my mouth shut and ignored them witch seemed to aggervate them more,anyway roughly 40 mins later they decide to leave,I was done with my food and i could see them still outside,thinking this might be a bad thing, i went outside and got on my so called scrap bike,Well the one HD jerk(their not all jerks) was having problems getting his bike to start and proceeds to give me more shit,so i fired up my bike(waiting for that vulcan start up idle)and went down the street turned around and pulled up put it in second and did a huge smokey burnout in front of em and yelled who's riding the scrap bike now asshole.I love bikes of anykind but when it comes to idiots like this I have no use what so ever for em. RESPECT THE VULCAN!!!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Some people are that way, insulting based upon nothing more than a small, insignificant difference. When I group ride, I'm the only metric. No disrespect given to me and none given back (except for one guy; we love to needle each other in fun). When respect is given, respect is returned; some people I fear have never heard of that. When I encounter HD riders new to me, I ask about their bikes, they ask about mine, we find we like our own bikes for our own reasons, and we part knowing that regardless of make, as long as we are dirty side down, life is good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ride On Brother...:flag: Some people don't get it. Its not about what you ride. Its about the Ride. I love to ride bottom line no BS and thats is all its about for me. Im not trying to impress anyone. I could care less if you ride a HD, Honda, Suzuki, Ducati, etc, Or what ever who care or gives a S$%T:clown:. I grew up around motorcycle and I dig all of them they are all cool in their own way. Granted I love my vulcan, But I dont knock a person for the type, Or Brand of bike they ride thats just plain IGNORANT:monkey:. My Helmet off to you for keeping your cool and dignity and not lowering yourself to that type of BS:poop:. I get so many compliments on my bike I cant count them all. I just say thanks and carry on, some times I get into full conversations on the subject. Whats funny is some People go wow nice Harley then I educate them, and they are even more shocked its a Kawasaki and how little I paid for it. I still dont get the whole HD branding everything since when did riding a motorcycle become a fashion statement. Oh well thats my rant. Any way I fully agree with you. Can't we all just get along.:cool:

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
The bottom line is it trashes the whole made in america slogan of hd. They are paying foreign workers because it is cheaper then paying american employees
Aren't any of the Kawi's made here, or assembled here?
That would be a hoot if they were, and the HD's were assembled in India!:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
My opinion is the HD has gone the way of the Jeep. People think just because they buy one somehow they are instantly part of the group or society that made them famous. With the Jeeps it was the Rock Crawlers and Hard Core Off-Roaders and with the HD it is the 1%.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a situation like that once, i was off duty from the police department and i was eating at burger joint i frequent on or off duty, a couple of guys made some comments to me about my bike, the waitress came up and gave me my ticket and said "have a nice vacation officer "K" ', and they immediately shut up and walked again.. i never said it word, it was great.. funny thing was, they weren't even on harley's or anything.. they carpool'd in a VW Beetle.. *shrug* People are just @$$holes

·
Registered
711 Posts
The bottom line is it trashes the whole made in america slogan of hd. They are paying foreign workers because it is cheaper then paying american employees
I believe you may have missunderstood the article. This is what it stated:

Parts made in America will be put together for the Indian market in Haryana.

I do give credit for HD for still keeping its business in the usa and only importing the parts to be assemble overthere. If I understood the atricle this will be only for the India market only and not to assemble for other countries. Same thing Kawa is doing, Japs parts to be partly assemble here. It's a win win for both countries. Now, would HD do good overthere?? that would be questionable. yes there're probably more two wheelers that cagers abut hd doesn't make 125's or 250's motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Now, would HD do good overthere?? that would be questionable. yes there're probably more two wheelers that cagers abut hd doesn't make 125's or 250's motorcycles.
I'm sure they'll do alright in the present, but small upscale MC market.

Having been to Brazil and China I can confirm good folks here that unlike the USA, motorcycles in other areas typically are small size, relatively speaking, like you say. A 250 would be a big engine for most folks. I'd have to imagine that India is not much different for the masses.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I believe you may have missunderstood the article. This is what it stated:

Parts made in America will be put together for the Indian market in Haryana.

All HD owners pride theirselves on the fact that the bikes are ONLY made in the USA. Put together in my book is the same as made in. Also Harley could pay Americans to assemble the bikes , then ship them. I understand this probaly wouldnt be cost effective, im just saying. If your whole marketing plan is based on being "American Made" you should stick to that and not save a few pennies buy employing Indians to assemble your bikes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't want to start a conversation about 'the wave', but I get less acknowledgement from other riders than I ever did when I rode a standard or sportbike. The sportbike riders just blank me. The HD riders do this hilarious bit where you can see them scrutinising the ride before they decide whether I'm worthy of recognition or not (in other words most of them can't tell a Harley from a 'rice burner' from more than about 20 feet), then they blank me. The only waves (actually it's usually nods here) are from other Jap-cruiser riders.

I can understand why HD riders are like that. The Company is largely to blame as it issues a pretty constant stream of that kind of BS itself. That's really what it's selling, not bikes. Although I'm not dissing the bikes because I like some of them a lot and would probably consider owning one if I could afford it.

As for the made in US/India debate, I'd still say my IKEA furniture is made in Sweden even though I had to put it together myself.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If your whole marketing plan is based on being "American Made" you should stick to that and not save a few pennies buy employing Indians to assemble your bikes.
I don't necessarily disagree if the whole theme is Made in USA. However, the difference between Made In USA and made elswhere can be very, very substantial.

I work for an OEM of vehicles (not motorcycles and not autos) and the difference between shipped fully assembled and parts shipped to other countries and assembled there is a HUGE difference in price in those other markets. Some other countries slap huge tariffs on certain goods not made in their country. So, you ship the parts there, put it together there, and the price for machine is much, much less than shipping a complete unit to that same country.

The difference, for our products, is so much that we hardly have a chance of selling a USA-built unit in those other areas but are competitive in those markets if we ship the parts and assemble in such places.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
HD syn oil vs AMsoil syn

Since this is another bitch session, figured to upgrade it to a more personal subject.. OIL.

So, HD Syn is some pretty 'spensive stuff. $12 qt or $40 gallon. All the hardley guys (read bro) swear its the best and yor hardley warranty (they's got a warranty?) is null n void if you dont use Jenyoowine hardly oil n fitlers.(sp).
Then we got this here AMsoil liquid honey slip'ry stuff. iz also muey 'spensive.

sooo.. which witch iz witch'est. cuz jes like the bikes,, mine'z betern yors.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Since this is another bitch session, figured to upgrade it to a more personal subject.. OIL.

So, HD Syn is some pretty 'spensive stuff. $12 qt or $40 gallon. All the hardley guys (read bro) swear its the best and yor hardley warranty (they's got a warranty?) is null n void if you dont use Jenyoowine hardly oil n fitlers.(sp).
Then we got this here AMsoil liquid honey slip'ry stuff. iz also muey 'spensive.

sooo.. which witch iz witch'est. cuz jes like the bikes,, mine'z betern yors.
They sell you a notorius unreliable bike, then sell ya a warranty , then say you have to use our products or we wont honor the warranty! Thats good buisness, i used Mobil 1 v-twin last change. Good stuff for 6 a quart on sale at checkers

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am a firm believer in "american made" because I am a union auto worker. Although, we can't all afford a 15-20k dollar bike and the sportster is just too damn small! There will always be those ones who think that Harleys are better than any other bike, but if you ask them what the first bike they had was, they will probably tell you it was an asian.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am a firm believer in "american made" because I am a union auto worker. Although, we can't all afford a 15-20k dollar bike and the sportster is just too damn small! There will always be those ones who think that Harleys are better than any other bike, but if you ask them what the first bike they had was, they will probably tell you it was an asian.

Just my $.02
Being a US Army soldier who has deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan and bunch of other countries to keep America safe im into "American Made" as well. Just not into getting raked over the coals. Those HD guys can show their American Pride by flashing thier harley badge on their bar runs, ill just go run around the mountians of Afghanistan chasing bad guys , guess im the unpatriotic one because i drive a jap bike. LMAO

·
Registered
711 Posts

Just my $.02
Very true. All the guys that I ride with now most ride HD's but started with Japs motorcycles. Oh and most ride foreign cars.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.