Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just browsing through craigslist and looking at cars, trucks, bikes and accessories.

Came across a 2003 Honda Rebel. 18k miles. Looked like it'd been abused, BADLY. Scratches and dents on the tank, both hand control levers had the tips broken off. Asking price, 5 grand.

If dude sells it, I'm gonna ask $10K for my Honda 500. It's in better shape, and it's vintage. :O

Here's my Honda, getting a bath.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe they added one to many zeros.
I suppose that's possible. But the ad said "price is pretty firm, but MAY negotiate"

Leads me to think they knew exactly what they posted. Also, people around here have a sickening tendency to ask for higher than NEW retail prices for used and worn out JUNK.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Used to have a boss who also had a car lot. He would ask really high prices, said if he sold it, he made a big profit, if not, he wrote it off as a buisness loss, but thats a buisness. Maybe the guys wife told him he had to sell it. A guy I work with told him he needed to sell his VTX, so he put it up for sell at $1000 more than he paid for it 5 years earlier.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Thanks for the picture, haven't seen rain here in months.....

:(

By the way, where did you find your signature line?
Come if you must, but only if you must.....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

By the way, where did you find your signature line?
Come if you must, but only if you must.....
I really can't remember if I made that up in a drunken philosophical moment, or read it somewhere. I found it in my sig line on another forum one morning after drinking. I've tried googling it, and the only thing I can find on it is where it's in my sig on that forum.

So for now, until proven wrong, I have to give myself credit for that one since I'm the only source that I've found for it. But it doesn't seem like something I'd come up with.

You're welcome to see if you can find it, I'd like to give credit where it's due.

Edit to add: I just searched it, and combinations of words in it, and pieces of it. Nothing. I think that one's mine then. I should copywrite that kinda stuff.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I tried to search it yesterday, then sent you the message.
It just sounds similar to the things written/posted on the barracks wall when I was in basic training about a hundred years ago. Of course mostr of the quotes on our walls were from Gen. Patton. I just thought this might be a Marine specific thing, and no offense meant to your philosophical abilities drunk or sober... :) :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to search it yesterday, then sent you the message.
It just sounds similar to the things written/posted on the barracks wall when I was in basic training about a hundred years ago. Of course mostr of the quotes on our walls were from Gen. Patton. I just thought this might be a Marine specific thing, and no offense meant to your philosophical abilities drunk or sober... :) :)
I've seen some pretty awesome stuff written on Marine barracks walls. Considering this doesn't seem to be something I'd come up with, although I have come up with similar things, that could be where it came from.

But I first started using about a year ago. Along with "I'd rather my own son see me die on my feet a free man, than live to see him go, broken, into slavery." (that one's mine, and I'm kinda proud of it).

I've been out of the service now for 8 years. I have a pretty piss poor memory, a result of too many hits to the head and a soggy brain I imagine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
When I started riding a few years back in 2010, I spent a couple weeks surfing Craigslist for used bikes. One local listing had been reposted every other day for a week, so I frequently clicked on it. It was a 2006 Honda VLX600 with 9k miles and they wanted $7500 for it. I often wonder if that bike ever sold.

Everything else I see that seems ridiculous is H-D, usually from a private seller. Folks think, for some reason, they can sell a bike (or car, or snow machine, or lawnmower) for what they've got into it. The chrome and performance mods help some, but you sure shouldn't expect to recoup your costs on it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not bike related but this is the most ridiculous price I've ever seen. http://autoplicity.com/products/3925474-motorcraft_agsf22fm_spark_plug.aspx
I'm gonna guess that defaulted to the maximum price when the product went out of stock. Still funny as hell though!

When I started riding a few years back in 2010, I spent a couple weeks surfing Craigslist for used bikes. One local listing had been reposted every other day for a week, so I frequently clicked on it. It was a 2006 Honda VLX600 with 9k miles and they wanted $7500 for it. I often wonder if that bike ever sold.

Everything else I see that seems ridiculous is H-D, usually from a private seller. Folks think, for some reason, they can sell a bike (or car, or snow machine, or lawnmower) for what they've got into it. The chrome and performance mods help some, but you sure shouldn't expect to recoup your costs on it.
Around here, HDs seem to be going for pretty fair, if not cheap, prices. Even right now at just the very extreme opening end of riding season. It seems CL has been flooded with them. I looked when I started this thread, and one whole day worth of posted ads were all HDs, for approximately 10k or less it seemed, and most around a 2010 year model.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I wish I had taken a screenshot of this one. Last summer a 2009 Honda Shadow 750 popped up on craigslist. 20k miles. Price...
.$9000

That HAD to be some guy just telling his wife, "I put the damn thing on craigslist, now leave me alone!"

·
Registered
918 Posts
The most ridiculous prices are usually attached to Harley's. I see more of them listed in CL than any other bike. All those sellers usually have modified bikes and they think by swapping the exhaust and handlebars, their 883 should sell for 10 grand. Bullshit! There's a reason I stay away from hogs, and this post is one of those reasons.

Well... Looks like Lucifer beat me to my rant. Oh well, I'm always trigger happy when ranting against Hardley Ablesons. My favorite rant: HD Owner: "I'll take an all metal bike over those plastic Jap bikes any day." Me: "Yeah, keep lying to yourself; cause we all know how much money replacing that metal fender will set you back versus my pre-painted fiberglass fender." Shoot, I was eating some lunch at my favorite burger joint when this ratty ass HD rider comes in. He begins talking about his bike to the cashier (I'm assuming they know one another) and he was all like, "Yeah gonna put some wide glide wheels on my bike. They gonna set me back a couple grand." I almost barfed.

I could go on forever about HD's.

EDIT: I just hopped onto CL real quick. Found a 1993 HD for $10,000 http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/4514655114.html. Bike looks nice, but no way is it worth $10,000, especially being 21 years old.

EDIT2: Now here's a real bike I would pay the asking price for: http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/4518968096.html

EDIT 3: I think I found our winner. Claims to have over $41,000 invested and selling for $18,900: http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/4516238491.html

EDIT 4 (I know, right?): I did a quick keyword search in CL under Private Owner and here are some figures to look at: "Harley" = 370 results, "Honda" = 297, "KawasakI" = 173, "Yamaha" = 212, and "Suzuki" = 122. This is only in the Wichita, KS area.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, that 21 year old $10,000 Harley is also a salvage bike!

And, if Harley's are THAT great... why's the used market flooded with them?

J

·
0 Posts
Lately, it was a 2007 XL1200R Sportster 'Roadster' with 21,000 on it at our local Harley Dealership. It was priced at $8000, which is $2000 above NADA blue book for this model. I recently bought a 2004 XL1200R Sportster in absolutely mint, stock, condition, 2600 miles on it for a grand total of $4400, had a Harley dealership had it, I would bet anything that it would have been priced at $6000 if it was a penny.

The dealers for this brand have their heads firmly up their a$$es, but somehow, they still manage to find gullible suckers to gouge the beejeebers out of. It's a mystery to me.

The dealer will beat you over the head with Blue book values when you trade in something, but then claim that the Blue book values don't reflect the actual market when you're buying a bike from them. I'm referring to HD dealers mainly, and though there's always exceptions, I haven't found the metric dealers to be quite so proud of their junk.

The only difference between a 2004 and a 2007 XL1200R is that the 2007 has a black engine.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
They are all over, for sure. Guys who try to get out what they paid for it. Funny how everything is always worth more to the owner.

The ones that get me too are the guys trying to get someone to 'take over payments', and will sell it for the payoff amount; like it's some great deal. Usually it isn't. They are upside down on the loan and want some sucker to bail them out. Recently I saw a 2012 Vaquero and the guy wanted $13,000; because that's what he still owed. So he evidently way overpaid (more likely, he rolled in accessories/clothing/gear/etc. into the loan). Way way over priced. That's only a couple of grand less than used, and new-old-stock Vaqueros go for that or less all the time.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
2014 KBB trade in value: $4000
2014 KBB retail: $5810
2015 Brand new MSRP: $8499

Good luck with this one!
Yeah that's ridiculous!

Craigslist makes me laugh. Lots of hopelessly over-valued stuff. And it's amazing how quick the good deals can go. I once was browsing and saw a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade that purported to be in good running condition. Ad said that it was his dads bike, he knew nothing about motorcycles, his dad rode it all the time all the way up until he died basically, which was a couple of years prior. He wanted $500 for it. In that shape it was worth at least a couple of grand (it looked great in pics). AND, the ad had been posted just minutes prior! I called right away! And, it was sold. He said I was the 13th caller and he was in the middle of trying to take down the ad. He had it sold in minutes. He confessed "I maybe should've researched the price a bit". I don't know what I'd do with a 1984 Goldwing but for $500 I'd figure something out!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts

We've had some rain, if even for just a few minutes, just about every day for 4 weeks here. I can count on one hand how many days of zero rain and plenty of sun since the beginning of June. I'd prefer it the other way around LOL

On another note, I have seen some crazy Craigslist prices in both directions. I saw (and rode) a VERY nice and clean 06 Victory Kingpin with less than 6k on the odometer with about 4k worth of factory "bling" on it and the guy only wanted $3k for it. Average price for them is around $5k if you can find them at all. If I had another grand I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
On the other side of the coin I've seen the usual Hardley's listed for major coin "just because it's a Harley". But one that really had me scratching my head was a basically stock Shadow 750 (only add on was a windshield) with almost 70k on the odometer and dude wanted around 9 grand for it. No mistake on the asking price either, as he even repeated the price several times as being "FIRM" within the description. I just laughed and moved on to the next post. It's not just bikes and cars that get this treatment either. I play guitar and am always in search of another. People will list guitars for 3 and 4 hundred more than a new one would cost. Because that's what it's worth to them. Things are only worth what someone will pay for it. Not what you price it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts