Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I needed a new front tire mounted and balanced. The shop didnt have the right weights and glued flat weights to the rim! I told them to take that junk off before it flipped off and hit me in the teeth. So they went and took them off but in the process stripped paint or something off the wheel leaving a big black spot!

My question is What are these wheels made of? i was thinking they were aluminum. But they are clearly painted with something with a black layer of something else underneath?

Any help would be appreciated. Does the shop need to pay for new paint or plating?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I highly recommend using balancing beads.

I replaced my tires recently and went with balancing beads. The ride is very smooth and the beads are self adjusting so as the tires where the beads displacement changes as the tire wears, keeping the tire in perfect balance all the time and extending tire life as a result as well.

Ignore any negative stuff you see where someone shows a tire on a balancing machine using balancing beads and they don't work. The balancing machine has a fixed axel with no suspension. Your bike has suspension which is why balancing beads work. When a heavy spot on the wheel pulls the suspension one way the beads collect in an equal weight on the opposite side of the wheel putting the wheel in perfect balance.

Lots of different brands out there, I am using counteract and have been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have dyna beads coming in the mail. Thanks Wild Bill. I have never used them so its nice to hear that they work!

But i still need to know what the wheel is made of.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a 2011 custom. I thought the custom just had a cast aluminum wheel with a clear coat , unless it was one of the new blacked out versions with the wheels painted black.

Now I am really curious to find out what the answer to your question is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that too! I was beside myself to see a coat of black underneath what looks like aluminum color paint or plating.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Sounds like that shop needs to replace your wheel, whatever they are made out of.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Stupid question but are you sure your not seeing tape left behind by the weight? I don't think they offered a blacked out version in 08. That wheel is supposed to be clear coated aluminum.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've had the stick on weights before and never had a problem, but I prefer them on the spokes. I would be surprised if it left the wheel permanently damaged if it is the coated Alum. it should clean up.

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
145 Posts
IIRC the wheels on the 2008 900 custom are painted silver then clear coated. I had a few scratches on mine, which displayed black under, likely the primer coat on the aluminum itself. I can assure most everyone here that the front custom wheel, regardless of any finish, is in deed aluminum. If you question that then get a magnet and try to stick it to the front wheel. It won't hold. My wheels, both aluminum have been chromed via copper plating. Aluminum can't be chromed without it. Nearly positively sure that KAW would never change the material of the wheel other than exterior finished cosmetics, IE silver, black, orange, whatever due to cost and manufacturing tech.

If the shop screwed up your wheel, they need to fix the damage. After all you paid them for their work, crappy or not.

I use balancing bead in both the front and rear wheels on my bike. They work great. No exterior weights on my wheels atoll.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts