Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're like me, you wonder the little or irrelevant things that most people don't care to focus on, like who ate the first egg or where did the first straight line come from. In this case, I wonder... where did the people at Kawasaki get the name Vulcan? Did Mr. Kawasaki himself think of it? Were there a bunch of Japanese motorcycle tech nerds sitting around watching Star Trek?? The latter might not be the case unless a Kawasaki Klingon comes about. Could you imagine what that bike would like? Wow. Anyway, being that I have nothing better to do with my time, I researched the name Vulcan. Miriam Webster's dictionary defines Vulcan as: the Roman god of fire and metalworking. Hmm, I guess this is where they got the "fire and steel" from.

Maybe someone odd like me in the design department thought the name would just sound cooler when you're in a crowd. You know, when you straighten up your back and the bass in your voice tells people, "I HAVE A VULCAN" just to outshine the guy with the squeaky voice who says, "I ride a Magna." However, it might not matter what you ride next to the bearded, leathered up stinky guy next to you with the black shades because he will be on his Harley. Your bike will just be a rip off of his and therefore he just wont give a damn about you anyway. He will glance at you and your bike and snarl.

As Vulcan riders, we have compassion. We are 99%ers and we will help anyone as long as there is a rider's interest. This forum is proof of friendships from all around. There is VROC and others. Maybe the name Vulcan should be synonymous with camaraderie. C'mon think about it. Even when we see one of those nasty stinky riders coming down the other side of the road, we will still reach out and solute him with one of these waves :waving: ! Yes, according to our smilie list, that is waving!! What, did you think I meant something else?? If so, you better haul ass after his u-turn! :skeleton:

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Don't worry about the H-D snarl, as H-D was actually late to the V-Twin game. Even Indian was not the first in the U.S., but one could argue that Indian is who made it popular. The Hercules by Glenn Curtis in 1903 gets the nod for the first production U.S. V-Twin, but Europe had them a year earlier. Indian had its first production V-Twin in 1906, H-D had theirs in 1909. There were a couple of other obscure companies in between 1906 and 1909 as well. So just snarl back and ask Mr. H-D snob (and not all are!) what it feels like to ride a "copycat" bike!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Guess I need to trade in the ole Joe Rocket jacket and quit bathing. lol

Attachments

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Hey at least mine are both "Classics". Just that the one is only 1 year away from getting the real classic blue license plates. They have no problems sitting side by side in the garage either. Imagine that huh? LOL :waving:

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I give the Star Treck vulcan salute to scooters. Someone has to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many of us are 100%ers. You own metric, you're a 99%er. You own a Harley, you're a 1%er. You own BOTH, well... it's simple math. I am a self proclaimed 100%er myself. Just don't let me see you riding your Vulcan if I'm on my Harley. I might just ignore your salute. :arrogant: But feel free to wave hi when I'm on my Vulcan. :D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Many of us are 100%ers. You own metric, you're a 99%er. You own a Harley, you're a 1%er. You own BOTH, well... it's simple math. I am a self proclaimed 100%er myself. Just don't let me see you riding your Vulcan if I'm on my Harley. I might just ignore your salute. :arrogant: But feel free to wave hi when I'm on my Vulcan. :D

Few of us have them both!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts