1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.....need your opinion

having a hard time to deciding what looks nice on my 12' classic 900B

white wraps match the white walls

but the black wraps match everything else dark on the bike, like frame, forks etc. Fenders are grey....

any links to pics on the site that can show black and white wraps on a classic?

also, whats the best wrap to use, any links?Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Are you talking about the exahust wrap ? If so why don't you make a mock up wrap with paper or thin cardboard in both colors and see which one looks better

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust pipe wraps, see link below, to give you a better idea.

I have to think a forum this large, you would see a 900 Classic with diff. color wraps, esp. if it were converted
to a bobber, via a kit. BTW, I googled, V900 exhaust pipe wraps, and hardly any photos came up, only ones came up were for harleys......shux

anyway, I would only wrap the pipes halfway anyway b/c the stock pipes are not equal circumference and get much wider towards the muffler.

Thanks for your cardboard mockup idea, but its not the same thing as seeing the wraps on by themselves.
Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another good idea, you mean an adobe photo edit shop?
still not the same as seeing actual wraps on it, good idea tho.......

looks like i have to buy two sets of wraps (black/white) and do it myself............

again, just surprised this forum or google dont have any photos, guess ill be the 1st hehehe

·
Registered
136 Posts
I googled, V900 exhaust pipe wraps, and hardly any photos came up, only ones came up were for harleys......shux [/QUOTE]
You didnt google to hard, if you google Vulcan 900 bobber you get all kinds of pictures with wrapped exhaust in black or white.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vulcan+900+bobber&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_0OSmka3iAhVSKKwKHV9VCEAQ_AUoAXoECAkQAQ&biw=412&bih=691

[/QUOTE] anyway, I would only wrap the pipes halfway anyway b/c the stock pipes are not equal circumference and get much wider towards the muffler.[/QUOTE]
You probably arent finding any pictures of stock exhaust wrapped because most people who bob their bikes put different pipes on and wrap those

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys and mex.62, I appreciate the link.
Unfortunately, the pipes from the bobbers weren't the same style as stock exhaust v9 classic's go but it was still helpful

Quick ques. how much HP do you actually get from fiberglass wraps, what other benefits?

see link below, this is the color/tank same as mine with the WWalls, so i wish it had black or white wraps on it and/or at least the stock exhaust, so I can get a better idea......

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/71/3d/fa713d9a4b597709201fabb8d616a8e9.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/753156737654382018/&docid=yAODDomUzUcO3M&tbnid=9yO6b1yzNDIkzM:&vet=10ahUKEwjon9rDnq7iAhUHVN8KHaUuC1UQMwjGAShSMFI..i&w=236&h=177&client=ms-android-verizon&bih=657&biw=1366&q=vulcan 900 bobber&ved=0ahUKEwjon9rDnq7iAhUHVN8KHaUuC1UQMwjGAShSMFI&iact=mrc&uact=8

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Quick ques. how much HP do you actually get from fiberglass wraps, what other benefits?
Ok, now you've lost me. Are you still talking about the black or white wraps from your original post, or are you now asking about fiberglass baffles in the muffler?

If you're talking baffles, you won't get any noticeable power increase by changing them out unless you also replace the air filter set up with big air. Once you do that you'll also have to add a fuel controller to keep your air/fuel mix balanced. Once that's done you'll have more power but there's a lot of discussion on how much. Try searching the forum for Big Three Mods. There's been a lot of discussion on this topic.

·
Registered
218 Posts
And to be clear, simply wrapping a muffler does not add HP. If you do it, post pics, curious as to how it will look with the big old heat shields on these bikes. You might consider removing the heat shields and then wrapping.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks steve,
no I meant the wraps, there fiberglass wraps out there, that keep the internal heat in the pipes very hot to burn the gas and full potential, they say you get some HP from it, wonder from yall if that was the case?

hey quick ques, you mentioned chip change with big air filter, even tho i get more HP, will it decrease my MPGs?

·
Registered
308 Posts
thanks steve,
no I meant the wraps, there fiberglass wraps out there, that keep the internal heat in the pipes very hot to burn the gas and full potential, they say you get some HP from it, wonder from yall if that was the case?

hey quick ques, you mentioned chip change with big air filter, even tho i get more HP, will it decrease my MPGs?
Hi, I have some limited experience with pipe wraps..
light color wraps turn to gray because of the burning process and accumulation of dirt.
fiber glass wraps can (did in my case) cause skin irritation (even after they are burned in).

many ppl believe that the wrap (fiber glass included) acts as a heat guard for the rider. IT DOES NOT. in fact the wrap will get much hotter than a pipe with a heat shield on.

in theory you should get a quicker removal of the exhaust gases, as hot gases travel faster and all that... BUT, that is not something you will experience by wrapping the pipes on a 50HP bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Durox,

so what your saying is that wraps are just asthetic , and do not offer HP?

Also, do you recommend non fiber glass wraps then? and which kind, all i heard was fiberglass type were the best ones, is that true?

thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
What he is saying is its not going to be horse power you notice. Also they are not for looks, In theory as the hot exhaust gasses leave the exhaust faster it help keep the engine cooler and run easier so you gain some HP. With a stock bike your not removing any of your restrictive parts so it's not going to really help much. Im not even sure it would do anything as you are really just wrapping the heat shield and not the actual exhaust pipe. Now if you did the big 3 and wrapped the exhaust would it help get more HP maybe, but once again nothing you are going to notice.
You can read articles about the subject and even most of those say it will give you more HP but none will ever say how much you will get.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought the whole point of wraps was to act as a thermal barrier and keep the heat in the exhaust gas as well as keep exhaust velocity up (think turbo applications).
Kind of a different purpose then a heat shield which allows the heat to leave the pipe cooling the exhaust but doesn't allow you to actually touch the pipe

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so now i am wondering , b/c i have a heat sheild on a small portion of my pipe on my 12' v9, near the floor board to protect me from burning , that if i put wraps on it, it will negate that, and the pipe will b/c even hotter? wierd

·
Registered
79 Posts
so now i am wondering , b/c i have a heat sheild on a small portion of my pipe on my 12' v9, near the floor board to protect me from burning , that if i put wraps on it, it will negate that, and the pipe will b/c even hotter? wierd
Heat wraps should be on the actual exhaust pipe not the heat shield. You could take the heat shields off wrap the pipe and then put the heats shields back on. That would be the most effective way to do it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok Im not sure you understand your exhaust pipe these are the heat shields on stock exhaust 001_1558973849492.jpg this is what the exhaust looks like without the heat shields s-l225_1558973856448.jpg .
Do you have another heat shield on top of the heat shield?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts