Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I could use it in low-speed situations on my Vaquero, since I can't flat foot it, and it's a big bike. Other than that, no thanks.

-John

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd rather buy a Miata. I ride a motorcycle for the visceral connection to the pavement. I can certainly see this as a great replacement for trikes for those that have trouble controlling two-wheeled vehicles because of age or disability. It has it's place.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It would appear to be somewhat complex and probably rather pricey. It even can follow the walking rider around like a dog without needing a leash! Would be useful for people who have difficulty riding a conventional bike at very slow speeds because of balance problems. But I'll stick with my conventional Vulcan 900 for as long as possible . . .

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd rather buy a Miata. I ride a motorcycle for the visceral connection to the pavement. I can certainly see this as a great replacement for trikes for those that have trouble controlling two-wheeled vehicles because of age or disability. It has it's place.
+1
I know a couple of older riders that have had to switch to 3 wheels to keep riding due to balance issues. They hated having to give up 2 wheels. One of them fell several times when coming to a stop and this would have solved his problem. Fortunately he never got hurt. I know another that had to give up riding 2 wheels due to nerve issues which were found after he fell twice during the same ride. This would solve his problem, as well. Sometimes age doesn't allow one to continue to pursue what they love, and this would add more years to that enjoyment.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Exactly right! Connection to earth's forces. I even regret pc based electronics, esp. Throttle & a windshield a little. Trikes, scooters & such don't work for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
I saw a Harley once which had stabilization wheels which were motorized. When the bike's speed fell below a certain threshold, or if a button on the handlebars was pressed, the wheels would rotate down and lock into place, stabilizing the bike. I was told the owner had one leg, and this system allowed him to continue riding on 2 wheels.

-John

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's neat! A good chunk of what ends up at CES never sees the market; but it's neat anyway. Not for me, but; still a cool piece of tech.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's interesting technology. It only works below 3 mph so I don't know how much of a "connection" you have to the pavement at that speed. I've seen more than a few folks drop a bike while doing simple maneuvers like backing into a parking spot or moving through tight spaces. This tech isn't going to drive you home after the bar. It'll just make sure you don't break a lever, snap a blinker, or dent the tank because you lost balance or stepped on sand. That being said, chances are you won't see this on the streets anytime soon if ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts