Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As motorcyclists, we’re all too familiar with car drivers merging into our lanes, seemingly blind to the fact we’re occupying the lane they are trying to merge into. But what’s proper etiquette when a two-lane road turns into one? Which order should vehicles in a double-file line let each other into a single-file line? Whatever your answer, it’s probably not what this woman was thinking as she comes from behind this motorcyclist and co-occupies the lane he’s in. He then gets upset, honks the horn a few times, gives the driver a quick lesson in merging, calls her a choice expletive then rides on.

Normally that’s where a story like this would end. Instead, he spots a police officer up ahead, flags him down, and sticks him on the car driver.
Read more about the What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That is crazy, yet it happens A LOT to bikes and cars.
The funny thing he does give her the WTF, yet he isn't yelling at her and seems so calm! I'd be screaming at her.

I had a similar thing happen at a construction site merge from two to one lane, as I honked and yelled at the driver he just seemed to be in some other place even though he looked right at me!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
First, if this is a permanent lane-ending merge, if I have room (depending on traffic), I'm going to position myself as close to the middle of the two lanes as possible, discouraging passing on either side. Usually this works very well.

Second, if this is an unplanned lane closure (construction or emergency), I'm going to move to the through lane as soon as I can. I'll position myself toward the edge of that lane nearest the lane that's ending.

Failing that, if I have to merge late, I try to get ahead of a slightly larger gap between cars so my turn signal can be seen, and linger there until the driver behind me lets me in. Generally, if I'm obviously not trying to cram my way over, they'll let me in pretty quickly.

Lastly, given an idiot who wants to share my lane or push me around, I back off and let them go ahead. They're easier to watch in front than in my mirrors. I'm not about to play bulldozer with a bike. If they get hit, the car or truck gets dented; if I get hit, I'm probably leaving the scene in an ambulance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts