Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week I witnessed the following events and just wondered what action, if any, the members here thought should have been taken.

Monday 8:05 am I exit off the interstate onto a state highway that goes about a quarter mile four lane then tapers down to a two lane. Ahead of me there are about eight vehicles in the left lane. Just as the last vehicle( a mid to late 90's chevy standard cab lwb) reaches the end of the middle stripe he decides he must pass with no where near enough room to get it done he forces his way in front of the second car in front of him. The two( I would find out later high school girls) in the small cars had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting him and each other. With his left blinker still on he starts throwing his arms up in the air repeatedly. At the time I thought he was signalling my bad, man was I wrong. Just past a small rise this state highway comes to a red light and for the next eight or nine miles is a center turn lane three lane no passing zone. With his left turn signal still on every time he came to a left turn he would get two or three feet into the turn lane and at the last second pull back into the threw lane and start throwing his arms around again. After this happens seven or eight times we pass a public park with multiple entrances over about a half a mile and this nimrod stay's about two feet over the double yellow with his left turn signal on the whole way arms flailing the whole way. At this point I am thinking this guy has mental problems, and we are headed for three school zones. Yes it is August and school is not in but in Alabama there are two a day's, marching band, cheerleader,teacher training, etc.... Just passed the park we come to the first school zone where there is an elementary and a middle school side by side where with his left turn signal still on from the beginning of this episode he passes in a no pass zone two of the remaining four vehicles in front of him.

Okay here we are you have as much info as I did at the time what due you think I should have done at this point.

·
Registered
754 Posts
In this case, which sounds like the driver of the pickup is either very impatient or is having a case of road rage (which is all too common these days), if you really feel you should have done something the best thing is to stop somewhere where you can safely call law enforcement and tell them what's going on, vehicle description, plate number, direction of travel or last known direction and a good description of the driver. Dispatch will get your info and if you don't tell them you want to stay anonymous they will advise officers they have full info. And that's it. Let LE handle it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TB2000, I did not say what I did, there is more to the story. I am simply putting a real world event out for discussion on this forum to see what the members think should have been done. There are many Local LEO's, over the road, and like myself service drivers on here that see this kind of thing all to often. I am just putting it out for discussion. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As much as I detest these kind of things, after having to pay a $100+ dollar fine for trying to 'help' someone. It is no long any of my business. The morons have taken over the streets and those of us that try to help are the ones that get punished.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As much as I detest these kind of things, after having to pay a $100+ dollar fine for trying to 'help' someone. It is no long any of my business. The morons have taken over the streets and those of us that try to help are the ones that get punished.
I do not know where you are from but in Alabama we have a good semeritan law(help me out here Romans how do you spell that) you can not be held liable for offering help.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
So now you are in the back, two cars; both with young drivers are in front of you and he is in front of them, acting irrational? If I understand that much, I have to agree with TB2000; pull over and call LE. Unless you have Bluetooth and can call while driving. But I would back off to let the two drivers between you and him have some room to back off also.
Despite the good Samaritan law, after the whole Zimmerman thing I'd be cautious before jumping in the middle of something like this.
Besides, in Texas the good Samaritan law only protects you if you are providing medical help and accidently cause some damage...like breaking a rib while preforming CPR. I believe that's correct, someone chime in if I'm misunderstanding the good Samaritan law.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The good samaritan law came in to effect to allow nurses, doctors, or other medical professionals to step in when a crisis occurred. Before the law medical professionals would not stop and offer help thinking that they would be sued. I think the law has expanded but still only applies to professional and not lay people. Each state has it's own version of the law.
Yep, this is pretty much it.

We the normal citizen that try to help are by far better of just calling the police and let them deal with it. If you don't you more than likely will end up paying for it either by getting assaulted or monetarily fined.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't feel this is right but I am sure the hell not paying for it again.

·
Registered
754 Posts
TB2000, I did not say what I did, there is more to the story. I am simply putting a real world event out for discussion on this forum to see what the members think should have been done. There are many Local LEO's, over the road, and like myself service drivers on here that see this kind of thing all to often. I am just putting it out for discussion. Thanks for your reply.
TS, I realize you did not state what action you took, I simply gave an explanation of what you might have been able to do. The last line in your post reads: Okay here we are you have as much info as I did at the time what due you think I should have done at this point That's where I was under the presumption you were asking for advice. My bad.

Anyhow, that's what I would have done. I'd just be another set of eyes and ears for LE in the event the situation escalates and witnesses are needed.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You all have the same idea I did except I dialed 911 hit the speaker button and dropped the phone in my shirt pocket. When they answered I told them who I was and who I work for and asked to be connected to county sheriff's dispatch which they did. After telling the dispatcher the situation and giving as good a description as possible because there are now four cars between me and this guy and I am a good three hundred feet behind the last one. Then we come up on the third school. All remaining cars turn in here except a delivery truck, this guy and me. At the far end of the high school lot there is a deputy that watches this guy go by then when I go by he gives me the thumbs up so I know this is about to be over with. The delivery truck pulls off about a mile down the road and at the next red light there is another deputy who pulls in behind him follows for about half a block and lights him up. I tell the dispatcher my destination,about two blocks away, and if they need any thing from me he had my contact info. I know some will call me a tattle tail but if I see dangerous things going on I am making the call every time.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Tattle? No Way!

You all have the same idea I did except I dialed 911 hit the speaker button and dropped the phone in my shirt pocket. When they answered I told them who I was and who I work for and asked to be connected to county sheriff's dispatch which they did. After telling the dispatcher the situation and giving as good a description as possible because there are now four cars between me and this guy and I am a good three hundred feet behind the last one. Then we come up on the third school. All remaining cars turn in here except a delivery truck, this guy and me. At the far end of the high school lot there is a deputy that watches this guy go by then when I go by he gives me the thumbs up so I know this is about to be over with. The delivery truck pulls off about a mile down the road and at the next red light there is another deputy who pulls in behind him follows for about half a block and lights him up. I tell the dispatcher my destination,about two blocks away, and if they need any thing from me he had my contact info. I know some will call me a tattle tail but if I see dangerous things going on I am making the call every time.
+1 Doing nothing only reinforces his behavior as he continues to threaten the lives of everyone he is around.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I know some will call me a tattle tail but if I see dangerous things going on I am making the call every time.
Of course. There will always be some of the opinion "mind your own business" regardless of the situation.

I think most rational adults (but that doesn't necessarily mean I think most adults are rational ;)) can differentiate between a tattletale and someone who is trying to mitigate a potentially serious risk to others.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
With irrational actions by the drivers and school zones in the area, you absolutely did the right thing. As a father, I would have been sick if my child or one of her friends would have gotten injured by this guy and no-one cared enough to get iinvolved with as much as a phone call to LE.
Thanks for caring.
Just curious, was he still acting like a moron when he passed the deputy?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With irrational actions by the drivers and school zones in the area, you absolutely did the right thing. As a father, I would have been sick if my child or one of her friends would have gotten injured by this guy and no-one cared enough to get iinvolved with as much as a phone call to LE.
Thanks for caring.
Just curious, was he still acting like a moron when he passed the deputy?
No zig, he was sitting up straight, eyes front, and had even turned his left signal off.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Of course. There will always be some of the opinion "mind your own business" regardless of the situation.

I think most rational adults (but that doesn't necessarily mean I think most adults are rational ;)) can differentiate between a tattletale and someone who is trying to mitigate a potentially serious risk to others.
+1 My wife and I have made calls to CHP when seeing drink drivers weaving the road. Hoping to prevent an accident down the road.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The worst road rage I ever saw was actually a tractor trailer. He started with me. I was in the right lane, cruise control set to 65 (in my car), about 100 miles from home. He was mad because the people to the left of me were very slowly passing me (hey, it's a pet peeve of mine, too!) So after tailgaiting them, he gets behind me, gets right on my bumper, honks a few times and starts flashing his lights. I'm kind of thinking, whadya want me to do? So he does this for a while, then swerves over (and I mean swerves) into the other lane and gets right up on a car (problem was they were still in the left lane and maybe doing 67 if I'm doing 65, so he couldn't fit his truck AND trailer through to get around). I back off a little bit so he can pass. He then runs up and BUMPS this other car, blaring his horn and flashing his lights. That car gets on the brakes, so he gets behind me again, and does the same to me! Actually HIT me! So at this point, I'm thinking this is getting really serious. I called 911 and explained what was going on. Gave the make, model, color, license number, company, and type of trailer he was pulling. The dispatcher still has me on the line when she called it over the radio (I could hear her in the background). And as for what happens next? The best I can figure is he had a scanner in his truck. Because as soon as I heard the dispatcher say "Red Volvo tractor, white trailer, such-and-such company, etc. etc.", he LOCKED UP HIS BRAKES so hard white smoke was throwing and his trailer was starting to fishtail. He backed WAY off of us and then exited at the next exit and I could see him in the rear view mirror pulling behind a gas station.

That one really floored me. I know meth is an issue out here for some of these truckers, that had to be it; this guy was nuts. He's awfully lucky, too, because this is not an area that's afraid to carry a gun. It could have ended really badly for him. I did get a call from a state trooper later that evening saying they had located him. He didn't give me any details but he was wanting me to confirm a few details about the truck to make sure they had the 'right one'.

OP I think you did exactly what I would've done in that situation, picked up the phone. There's not much you really can do without putting others in serious danger. I've seen truckers box-in road-ragers like that but that's not always an option; it could get you in legal trouble, and you never know whose behind the wheel of that vehicle. I know you mentioned road rage but he could've also been under the influence of something.

By the way, there wasn't any damage to my car other than some red paint from the red truck (which wiped off). Though before wiping it off I took pictures and sent them to the trucking company, along with repeated phone calls to them about this behavior. I was finally told he was no longer employed with that company and that he was facing 'serious legal repercussions' as a result of that incident. Never did find anything out beyond that.

Any other time other than that I've usually just gotten out of the way and let them pass. I don't get in a hurry in my car. I'll get there when I get there. If I'm late I'm late. You don't save any real time driving like a maniac (ever have the same BMW pass you 5 times on the interstate weaving in and out of traffic?), so why bother. If they wanna act nuts, go around, whatever.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am on the road around town a lot during the week and have seen many crazy things. This had more the feel of someone with some type of personality disorder who was off there meds. as apposed to just road rage.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
what due you think I should have done at this point
Call the Cops ... you have no idea whether this driver has been drinking or has some mental capacity issue.

This is not an unusual situation ... drivers racing up to lane closures for construction and squeezing in at the last possible moment, causing the open lane drivers to all hit the brakes is all to common, so is passing in "no passing zones".

On a open road, non construction lane closure, it still happens regularly. Just like the idiots who jump off the interstate to rip down the "get on" lane and cut back into traffic to gain another 100 yards on everybody else.

Unfortunately life have almost become "its all about me", and the days of driving courtesy has gone out the window ... some still not get that driving is a privilege, not a god given right.

As a over the road truck driver of 14 plus years, just when I think I have seen it all, I see some thing that amazes me even more.

The worst road rage I ever saw was actually a tractor trailer. He started with me. I was in the right lane, cruise control set to 65 (in my car), about 100 miles from home. He was mad because the people to the left of me were very slowly passing me (hey, it's a pet peeve of mine, too!) So after tailgaiting them, he gets behind me, gets right on my bumper, honks a few times and starts flashing his lights. I'm kind of thinking, whadya want me to do? So he does this for a while, then swerves over (and I mean swerves) into the other lane and gets right up on a car (problem was they were still in the left lane and maybe doing 67 if I'm doing 65, so he couldn't fit his truck AND trailer through to get around). I back off a little bit so he can pass. He then runs up and BUMPS this other car, blaring his horn and flashing his lights. That car gets on the brakes, so he gets behind me again, and does the same to me! Actually HIT me! So at this point, I'm thinking this is getting really serious. I called 911 and explained what was going on. Gave the make, model, color, license number, company, and type of trailer he was pulling. The dispatcher still has me on the line when she called it over the radio (I could hear her in the background). And as for what happens next? The best I can figure is he had a scanner in his truck. Because as soon as I heard the dispatcher say "Red Volvo tractor, white trailer, such-and-such company, etc. etc.", he LOCKED UP HIS BRAKES so hard white smoke was throwing and his trailer was starting to fishtail. He backed WAY off of us and then exited at the next exit and I could see him in the rear view mirror pulling behind a gas station.
I have personally called the cops on other truckers myself, just because we are bigger, does not give any one the right to try to intimidate another person on the road.

While it is frustrating when a driver of a vehicle decides run side by side down the hammer lane on a 2 lane interstate holding up traffic, I just pull off and take a 5 minute break ... by then the situation has moved on down the road and I can get back to making money. Endangering others or getting involved in a wreck, just never made sense to me.

Its just freight, and I am in that much of a hurry, I probably should have left earlier.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Call the Cops ... you have no idea whether this driver has been drinking or has some mental capacity issue.

This is not an unusual situation ... drivers racing up to lane closures for construction and squeezing in at the last possible moment, causing the open lane drivers to all hit the brakes is all to common, so is passing in "no passing zones".

On a open road, non construction lane closure, it still happens regularly. Just like the idiots who jump off the interstate to rip down the "get on" lane and cut back into traffic to gain another 100 yards on everybody else.

Unfortunately life have almost become "its all about me", and the days of driving courtesy has gone out the window ... some still not get that driving is a privilege, not a god given right.

As a over the road truck driver of 14 plus years, just when I think I have seen it all, I see some thing that amazes me even more.

I have personally called the cops on other truckers myself, just because we are bigger, does not give any one the right to try to intimidate another person on the road.

While it is frustrating when a driver of a vehicle decides run side by side down the hammer lane on a 2 lane interstate holding up traffic, I just pull off and take a 5 minute break ... by then the situation has moved on down the road and I can get back to making money. Endangering others or getting involved in a wreck, just never made sense to me.

Its just freight, and I am in that much of a hurry, I probably should have left earlier.
Even though the company I work for made a decision over two decades ago that I did not need a cdl I still consider myself a professional driver. Over night I went from being able to drive anything in the fleet to limited. That $50. they saved has cost them many thousands since. If this had been one thing I would not have made the call, but this was several unprovoked actions , from my perspective, over several miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts